Kata method=misery!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was not big in my day.....it was more along the line of "Challenge your limits, don't limit your challenges." Also another big one was....If it isn't hard then it isn't worth it.

The big reason why the Marines don't like the "Pain is weakness leaving the body" is because being shot is painful, oh well I am done rambling.

Physical training = hard-> therefore worth it, etc. You guys know what I mean.

I really can't imagine a slogan like 'If it isn't hard then it isn't worth it' catching on with British squaddies, well, not without howls of laughter anyway but maybe it's our sense of humour!
This is the only way I can learn kata! I tend to teach it that way too.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do something similar in our school. The instructor calls out the steps and will either go backward or forward - you really have to listen!

"One...two...three...two...three...two...three...four...three..."

Sometimes he messes with us and goes from, say, two to four. It's a trainwreck

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really can't imagine a slogan like 'If it isn't hard then it isn't worth it' catching on with British squaddies, well, not without howls of laughter anyway but maybe it's our sense of humour!
This is the only way I can learn kata! I tend to teach it that way too.

There used to be a record label named Stiff Records. Their slogan was "If it ain't Stiff, it ain't worth a ****".
icon10.gif

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Well, just remember that we're the descendents—literal or cultural—of the Puritans you guys were smart enough to kick out. So there's bound to be a bit of disagreement on the virtues of difficulty and suffering, eh? :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, just remember that we're the descendents—literal or cultural—of the Puritans you guys were smart enough to kick out. So there's bound to be a bit of disagreement on the virtues of difficulty and suffering, eh? :D

Mmm the trouble is the British Army prides itself on being as much lovers as fighters lol!

One way of doing kata we had with one instructor was to do it in reverse ie if you turned left for the first move usually you turned right instead.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mmm the trouble is the British Army prides itself on being as much lovers as fighters lol!

What's the line from that G&S operetta—Patience, I think?

[The Heavy Dragoons sing:]

Gold lace has a charm for the fair,
And I've plenty of that and to spare,
While a lover's professions when uttered in Hessians
Are eloquent everywhere!

I guess it's been that way for a long time, eh?

One way of doing kata we had with one instructor was to do it in reverse ie if you turned left for the first move usually you turned right instead.

I'd be lost. I have the worst sense of direction imaginable. I need a GPS just to get from the parking garage I always use to my office on campus...

Latest Discussions