Karate sparring with a mix of wolf boxing

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you tried it? cause it can, and it adds an oddity of fear (can always transition to the groin) that changes things.
Yes I have a Krav Maga class once had us sparring but one person was face punching the other was groin punching and there is no way in helL I'd ever use it in a real situation when knees can actually come up. Plus it's far to slow to get down there. Not a practical technique at all imo. If I'm going to throw straight to the groin not waste time punching his leg because as soon as I do he'll be booting me in the face with his other leg

OP
Christopher Adamchek

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes I have a Krav Maga class once had us sparring but one person was face punching the other was groin punching and there is no way in helL I'd ever use it in a real situation when knees can actually come up. Plus it's far to slow to get down there. Not a practical technique at all imo. If I'm going to throw straight to the groin not waste time punching his leg because as soon as I do he'll be booting me in the face with his other leg

Im sorry you had a bad experience with it once but it can and does work. Ive done it many times on many people. Its not high on my "to use" in real situations but i would if i had a prime opportunity to.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you tried it? cause it can, and it adds an oddity of fear (can always transition to the groin) that changes things.
I have. We experiment with about everything.

Positionally, it's a terrible idea. If you change levels like that, and leave room for them to strike(as you are in this vid) you are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage. They can move, you can't, and they have tons more leverage and power than you.

This is one of the pitfalls of coming up with things in a cooperative environment without pressure testing

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dropping down to punch the legs like that will get your head punted or punched off. You are basically gift wrapping yourself to get flattened.

Yeah. Sort of. It is actually really infuriating to have it done in sparring. Especially when you think it is a takedown.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im sorry you had a bad experience with it once but it can and does work. Ive done it many times on many people. Its not high on my "to use" in real situations but i would if i had a prime opportunity to.
Maybe you've landed it but I find it extremely hard to believe it does anything worthwhile. I mean even Muay Thai leg kicks which are some of the most powerful martial art kicks very rarely finish someone with one kick it normally takes a fair few to do significant (not always but most of the time from what I've seen) but even if you can land a punch to the leg...okay maybe there leg will be a little sore maybe a dead leg feeling but in a real fight adrenaline will be pumping so very unlikely they'd even feel it until after. That and the extremely dangerous height you'd have to put yourself in. If someone even dropped that low on me my leg would be up straight away for a knee.

There's a a reason why in Muay Thai and Mma they tell you not to do the extremely low ducks that boxing does and that's because you do you'll be straight on a knee. That's been proven in Mma guys getting dropped even going in for takedowns which are explosive and powerful and have momentum a leg punch will certainly not have that. Even forgetting about the knees and kicks if you drop down to my knee height to throw a punch I'm going to drop an elbow or a hammer fist right onto the back of the head.

The reward is certainly not worth the risk

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have. We experiment with about everything.

Positionally, it's a terrible idea. If you change levels like that, and leave room for them to strike(as you are in this vid) you are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage. They can move, you can't, and they have tons more leverage and power than you.

This is one of the pitfalls of coming up with things in a cooperative environment without pressure testing
Imo if you want to hit the leg then kick it...it's way more powerful than a punch would be and no silly risk.

The only time I may punch at that height would be if I was attacked while sitting down and a guys standing over me or if I've been knocked down and they're standing over me but even then I wouldn't hit the leg I'd go straight to the groin

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah. Sort of. It is actually really infuriating to have it done in sparring. Especially when you think it is a takedown.
I guess if you are observing the 'no kicks to the head of a grounded opponent' rule. Otherwise you just have a nice low immobile kick target kneeling in front of you.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Imo if you want to hit the leg then kick it...it's way more powerful than a punch would be and no silly risk.

The only time I may punch at that height would be if I was attacked while sitting down and a guys standing over me or if I've been knocked down and they're standing over me but even then I wouldn't hit the leg I'd go straight to the groin

At that point either do a tech getup or fall to your back and upkick.imo. Position is really the most important thing, always.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess if you are observing the 'no kicks to the head of a grounded opponent' rule. Otherwise you just have a nice low immobile kick target kneeling in front of you.

Don't kneel. You hit the footwork same as a double leg.

Sorry I suppose you could drop knee if you want.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't kneel. You hit the footwork same as a double leg.

Sorry I suppose you could drop knee if you want.
Ya I was talking about the entry in the op video. Isn't that what we were talking about here?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Our first Okami Karate Dojo video, and seeing as how Okami means 'wolf' we mixed in wolf boxing kung fu techniques with our karate sparring.

Basic strategy of wolf boxing:
Developed by Buddhist nuns who had grown up with foot binding prior to living in the temples. Utilizes upper body conditioning. Low fighting stances, between the ground and standing. Attacks from and to uncommon areas, such as punching the leg. A fluid ease of transitioning to the ground to wrap and attack the opponents legs to bring them down.
Pretty cool. I think it would have been a bit different if the other guy was trying his hardest to resist you/pull some counter takedowns/throws. If this is for advertising (I know you just made your site), I'd like to see both the video you've got and what I just mentioned in a video as a prospective student.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

At the 1:30 mark the ump gives advice that I feel important to Martial Artists trying new things.

Latest Discussions