Karambits

NARC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
%-} Just wondering if anyone can recommend a manufacture for a Karambit?

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You could maybe try asking that "Martialist" guy, he does reviews and stuff...

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's all in what you want to pay.
Unfortunately, no one makes a decent middle of the road model. Right now the choices are 1) spend $200 +/- for a big name collaberation project (Tarini/Strider or Emerson) or 2) pay very little and hope you get what you pay for. Spyderco makes one in the $100 range, but I just dont like it.

Narc- I have some cheapies I work/play with that have held up pretty well; I'll bring one down for you next time I roll through.

OP
NARC

NARC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
dearnis.com said:
It's all in what you want to pay.
Unfortunately, no one makes a decent middle of the road model. Right now the choices are 1) spend $200 +/- for a big name collaberation project (Tarini/Strider or Emerson) or 2) pay very little and hope you get what you pay for. Spyderco makes one in the $100 range, but I just dont like it.

Narc- I have some cheapies I work/play with that have held up pretty well; I'll bring one down for you next time I roll through.
Looking forward to seeing you, %-} till then remember:
"Shoot'em, Kick'em and check'em for a Pulse"

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Search the site for kerambit/karambit for more discussions of available blades, including folding ones.

D

Drifter

It's pretty much what dearnis.com said. There just aren't many good choices out there unless you want to drop $300. I think Phil Elmore ( www.themartialist.com ) reviewed a low cost karambit on his forum here a bit ago.

Some of us should go to a company and ask if they would have any interest in producing a lower-cost karambit (<$100) out of something like 1095. Those would sell like hotcakes...

Silat Student

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Martialist has done two kerambit reviews

1. M-Tech Karambit (http://www.themartialist.com/0603/sdgkerambit.htm). Turn's out that someone from a company called SDG (Self Defense Gear) did some modifications which are supposed to turn this "Chinese Import" knife into a decent tactical tool. I searched SDG's site and it looks like they still don't have it up for sale yet (don't know when the review was published but it mentions that SDG wasn't ready to release their modified design yet).

2. "Combat Ready" Kerambit (http://www.themartialist.com/pecom/cheapkerambit.htm)

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best ones I have handled have been custom jobbies, but other than that I really like the Tarrani Journeyman. I tried the Spyderco one, but they don't seem to be putting enough into the handlability of their newer knives (I think htey are catering more towards looks), as I saw with the new balisong they put out. For cheap play, I bought two of the "Gibbon Claw II"s and filed off the thumb studs. They work pretty well for me.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm working on reviews of the Spyderco and Emerson kerambits, as well as the Emerson videos that go with that one. The Self-Defense Gear modified kerambit never came about, to my knowledge (and much to my disappointment). The "Combat Ready" kerambit is a cheap fixed-blade that I sell through my website for around twelve bucks.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Emerson folder w/ wave action is very nice. The one my instructor has came with the clip mounted for left hand use, but the other side of the kerambit is tapped to make clip remounting easy. The blade deploys VERY easily, and the finger hole is large enough and smooth for easy manipulation.

M-tech makes a copy of the Emerson. The blade does not deploy as smoothly as the Emerson and if you want to reposition the clip, you have to drill/tap the holes on the other side of the kerambit yourself. Still, it is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the Emerson. I haven't played much with the M-tech, but there may be a way to improve the smoothness of the blade deployment, but being a cheap knock-off, there are probably huge variances in quality from blade to blade.

My instructor made an aluminum (fixed) trainer of his Emerson and the trainer works very nicely with the Sayoc/Dionaldo kerambit template. The blade length isn't too short for the hooking and palisut movements and again the weapon manipulates easily via the finger hole. The real blade also makes a nice fist load/pocket stick when closed. With that in mind, it's hard to use the kerambit with the blade closed as a regular drawing motion will deploy the blade almost every time.

Enough babbling

Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just want something cheap--as a toy or to be able to say to someone "Here, this is what one looks like." I would like to have a trainer though. We don't use the kerambit in Modern Arnis, but we do believe that "It's all the same." So, it's nice to have a variety of implements at hand to test or demonstrate that theory.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just picked up one of the Smith & Wesson "extreme ops" (LOL) karambits off e-bay for 25 bucks. I don't usually recommend S&W folders for actuall carry but this one is decent quality (better than what I'd expect from them). It's got a frame-lock so it's pretty secure. The hole could be a little bigger but it's okay. I'm not crazy about karambits, basically I just got it so I'd have one to play with and so I'd have one laying around when someone asked about them. Considering that the other options are either the M-tech or Combat-ready (cheap crap) or an Emerson, Tarani, or Cutter (nice but all expensive) this one fits the bill. I may just end up grinding the edge off and taping it so I can use it for on-the-body training. So anyway, if you're looking for a decent one that won't break the bank this may be an option.
SW32C.jpg

Latest Discussions