Karambit?

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Incidentally, Sifu Billings, the Harimau Silat (ground work on Friday night) that I showed at Camp Lansdale makes heavy use of the karambit. The blade adds a whole new dimension to the material :)

Mike

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just returned from a rather long flight to TX to train Mande Muda with Ibu Rita Suwanda, current head of the system, this past weekend. One of the days gave a few hours to karambit work and history. I'll post a review in the Indo forum for anyone interested.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by OULobo
I just returned from a rather long flight to TX to train Mande Muda with Ibu Rita Suwanda, current head of the system, this past weekend. One of the days gave a few hours to karambit work and history. I'll post a review in the Indo forum for anyone interested.

Absolutely. Ibu Rita is excellent. I've attended several seminars with her.

Mike

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi All,

Here is an update and info on some of the kerambits in this thread:

Guro Ray Dionaldo and Jerry Hossom's Kerambit:

- Handmade, there will be only a few made with those already spoken for.

- There is supposed to be a manufactured line coming out soon.

Ray Dionaldo Kerambit:
- Look for a fixed and folder production model soon;) . Details to follow!

To see Guro Ray in action with a kerambit trainer, go to www.ncfcskaliusa.com/kerambit.html.

MTech:
- SharpPhil did have an excellent review of the Mtech kerambit and the modifications. He can correct me but it had average performance for it to be a "knock-off." I carry it as the expendible knife:). Mtech has released a modification with the blade not protruding inside the O-ring.

The Boss Kerambit and Keen Edge Knife Works Kerambit:
- Has obtained/reviewed these yet? Hard to get!

Like OULobo, I also read the current Tactical Knvies magazine. The article is on page
82. If anyone is interested in learning more about Craig Camerer's kerambit and knives, his website which was not in the article is www.camererknives.com.
The picture of his kerambits are as follows:
http://www.camererknives.com/images/scan800.jpg
http://www.camererknives.com/images/1keram.jpg

Hibben Claw II:
- I have a couple at my place with the Micarta handles as shown in the picture as well as one without. They are pretty cool, but not for spinning!

Take care,

Palusut

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Palusut

MTech:
- SharpPhil did have an excellent review of the Mtech kerambit and the modifications. He can correct me but it had average performance for it to be a "knock-off." I carry it as the expendible knife:). Mtech has released a modification with the blade not protruding inside the O-ring.

The Boss Kerambit and Keen Edge Knife Works Kerambit:
- Has obtained/reviewed these yet? Hard to get!

Hibben Claw II:
- I have a couple at my place with the Micarta handles as shown in the picture as well as one without. They are pretty cool, but not for spinning!

Take care,

Palusut

Nice sum up of the stuff on the market right now.

I had heard that there was a new version of the M-Tech karambit, but I hadn't gotten a chance to play with one yet. If they can make the clip reversable, make it a slimmer and get rid of the blade-in-ring issue, then I think it would be a great cheapy.

A note on the BOSS version: I heard somewhere (can't remember where) that BOSS had the designs from the designer first and that politics and personal/business disagreements led to the designer selling the design to M-Tech also. The design was changed in superficial ways to avoid litigation, manufactured in China and marketed at a lower MSRP. This might be confirmed by the fact that BOSS dropped from a higher original price to one more like what you can get the M-Tech version for.

I recently took one of the Hibben Claw IIs and ground off the ring nubs (which was suprisingly easy considering it is supposedly stainless). This thing works great for spins now.

M

Michelle

Palusut and All

Another one to add to the potential Christmas list? :D

Cutter knife and tool just released there 1st production run bengal karambit. Heres a link:

http://www.tadgear.com/edged tool...al_karambit.htm

I would like to hear anyone's take on this new production karambit. I have not yet been able to get my hands on one but am hoping to in the near future.

Peace,
Michelle

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michelle
Palusut and All

Another one to add to the potential Christmas list? :D

Cutter knife and tool just released there 1st production run bengal karambit. Heres a link:

http://www.tadgear.com/edged tool...al_karambit.htm

I would like to hear anyone's take on this new production karambit. I have not yet been able to get my hands on one but am hoping to in the near future.

Peace,
Michelle

Bad link! I think because it automatically appreviated itself.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These have the same problem with clip location. They don' t look like they are "left hand" reversible. Can't clip into a pocket and draw ring up in the right hand.

I do really like that ivory handled fixed blade from Camerer that Palusut posted. Pretty and looks sturdy and really traditional.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to announce that Master Ray Dionaldo has become the spokesperson and endorser of Cutters Knife and Tool's Bengal Kerambit folder.

The Bengal is Cutters Knife and Tool's production version of Reese Weiland's kerambit design.

For a picture of the kermabit or more information, please go to the following locations:

http://www.ncfcskaliusa.com/order_form1.html
http://www.fcskali.com

Master Ray Dionaldo and Jerry Hossom's production model kerambit will be available around Christmas.

Thanks,

Palusut

M

Michelle

Has anyone seen a picture of The Raven yet? I think it was one of the karambits covered in the Tactical Knife article? Cutters official site still doesn't have pix yet........

TIA,
Michelle

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
M

Michelle

Thank you Palusut! For some reason I was under the impression the Raven was a fixed karambit... guess not.

M

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're welcome Michelle!

I don't know myself all the possible configurations of the "Raven". So it might be a fixed blade as well.

Palusut

M

Michelle

Palusut,

Funny, but it is actually the Cutters Knife and Tool site that lists it as a "fixed" karambit, although there are no pictures.

When you go to Mr. Weiland's site though it shows up as a folder (with a nice damask blade! sweet...)... but there is no mention of the Bengal anywhere? I'm wondering what the differences are between the two. And also if it's a "typo" on the CKT site regarding a fixed Raven.

It's a mystery!

I've sent out an e-mail to see if someone can sort all this out. If anyone else knows the lowdown, can you please post? I'll post what I find out.
:asian:

Peace,
Michelle

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Michelle,

I think that it is probably a naming issue. Basically speaking, like what is being done with other knives, is that there is a fixed and folder version from the same designer.

If you refer to the Tactical Knives article, the top fixed knife is probably the Raven.

On the same page, the bottom folder is the "Bengal."

So here is my guess (could be wrong), Mr. Weiland owns the "Raven" name, while for the collaboration, Cutters owns the "Bengal" name.

Take care,

Palusut

M

Michelle

When all else fails... go to the source....

Palusut, WOW, you were right on the money with the naming issue.... received the below e-mail this morning:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"......Cutter decided to change the name of the knife when they bought the rights to the design from me to the Bengal. I call mine the Raven. The fixed blade version they currently have is basically one of my Wasps with a finger ring on the back. A picture of it appears in the Jan 2004 issue of Tactical Knives on page 82 directly under the Tarani one. They are calling this I believe the Bengal fixed. I would post a pic but I don't have one.

I am currently making a fixed blade with the exact open profile/size of the Bengal folder for them. I also have one extra in s30v I am making up for sale but the blade is bead blast not satin.

Hope that helps.
Reese
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So there we have it. :)
Michelle