Karambit?

M

Michelle

Cthulhu

Originally posted by Cthulhu
A lot of the folding kerambits I've seen have one distince flaw (in my opinion): when the blade is closed, it intrudes into the hole. The only way for a finger to fit in the hole is with the blade open, so closed use is pretty much out.

I personally would never buy a karambit where the blade protrudes into the hole. Emersons don't and neither do the Taranis. I have no idea how or why people put that design into production and I don't know why anyone would buy one. I can't imagine being able to deploy one of those with any amount of speed. It's just plain weird. :confused:

Michelle-Have you seen the Hossom/Dionaldo kerambit? I think it debuted at a recent knife show.

Nope but I've heard good things about Dionaldo so I will have to go check it out.

I recently acquired the original Hibben Claw. While it doesn't have the traditional shape of a kerambit as most know it (i.e., with the hole in the handle), it's a very nice little blade. I like how it locks in with a snap into the sheath. Makes for a very quick draw. The only problem is that the blade is double-edged, so carrying is out of the question. I am considering grinding the outer edge down so I can carry it.

Again, the emerson and tarani folders are single-edged so that's all good. There are also a handful of Strider fixed karambits out there with a false outer edge for those who want to carry the fixed but can't have a double-edged for legal purposes (each State seems to have such different laws). The Hibben Claw is inexpensive enough so grinding the outer edge wouldn't be too much of a shame and would be a good solution.

I'm going to go see if I can get a peek at the Hossom/Dionaldo (if this darn Surf Patrol software will let me). :rolleyes:

Michelle

M

Michelle

Originally posted by OULobo
I'm looking for about $60 and down.

Hmmmm. For fixed you can find some really reasonably priced authentic stuff at Kris Cutlery. And they sharpen the crap out of their stuff. Check them out. As far a folders go, you would have to double that figure to get something really good like a Journeyman IMHO.

......If I get in a fight, I would have to be in some serious trouble to draw, as I can usually handle the situation without a blade, but when it is over I don't want to have anything on me when the law arrives to settle up.

As long as it's within the legal limits of your State for carry, why? Justifiable self-defense. Plus, there is always that age-old practice of burying it in a planter somewhere nearby and go back for it later. I had to do this at the airport once when I spaced out and kept a good knife on me instead of putting it in the checked bag. It was actually still there 3 days later when I got back from Florida. :D

Yep, not fishing, just wondering

Ummm, I do a bit of training here and there under Steve Tarani. Mande Muda based, but practical application (not so much emphasis on traditional forms, but practical application based on the forms if that makes sense?). Also training with Angelo Collado (who posted above I believe) which is very challenging as I don't have the kenpo background so I have to form some new habits rather than reverting to ones I already have.

You said you had some Silat background?? Which one? Serak? Mande Muda?? Not fishing, just wondering. ;)

Michelle

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michelle

You said you had some Silat background?? Which one? Serak? Mande Muda?? Not fishing, just wondering. ;)

Michelle

I have done some Mande Muda, about 3yrs collective and some Manigkabau Hari Mau, about a year, and a smattering of some others. Most of my training is FMA and Bando, but I mix a lot. I have been trying to get to a Tarani seminar but they seem to be too far off and at bad times. I'm sure I'll get to one sooner or later.

As for the laws in this state, they are vague about what is concealed and what is not. I have heard of cases where the police are justified in arrest and confiscation because a clip looked like a pager, depite the fact that the knife blade was under the length for the legal definition of a knife as a weapon. Its just easier to do like you mentioned and ditch it until I can hopefully get if back.

S

Stick Dummy

I concur with Michelle, If you are serious about folding Karambits, get either the Tarani or Emerson Folders. PERIOD!
I have both and rotate them once in a while as both work & play EDC's.

The M-Tech #008B is the biggest POS I have ever seen!!!! Virtually everything is WRONG with it.

Best current US fixed blade variant is the Strider H-S hands down.

I received an e-mail from Jerry Hossum saying he would not be making the "Kerambitch" (his name for it).

If anyone knows different please let me know. it looks superlative for a EDC.

Just saw a Hibben Claw at work( the new one) a coworkers EDC, the spurs on the top of the safety ring negate forward and backward manipulations, and it seemed a little thin in my teeny leetle paw.

But its better than that MTech stuff. :barf:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Michelle,
A picture of the kerambit in question, the 'Kerambitch' can be found in the following thread:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=128120#post128120

Stick dummy,

It'd be a shame if Hossom chose not to make and market those. I think Guro Ray has some trainers based off of the 'kerambitch', and they look nice. If Hossom doesn't make 'em, maybe someone else will.

Cthulhu

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SelfDefenseGear.com sells a modified version of the M-Tech folding kerambit. I did a lengthy article on the original folding M-Tech kerambit and the modifications done by James of SDG.

Recently I picked up one of the inexpensive M-Tech fixed-blade kerambits and will be reviewing it in a future issue of The Martialist.

Attachments

• $mtechfixkeram01.jpg
    $mtechfixkeram01.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 215
S

Stick Dummy

Phil,

Interesting article on the MTech Karam:barf:

I didn't catch whether the "Quasimodo hump" in the middle of the front grip was removed or not.......

It kinda destroys the ability to index and use it as a karambit as is traditionally taught in IMA schools.

My experiences with the one in my "Don't Buy" reference collection is that the liner lock release tab will also disengage when the MT is used for quite a few of the Penchat Silat techniques.

Why did M-Tech put an Emerson Wave (patented) on the fixed blade version? It looks an awful lot like infringement to me.

Not trying to "ping" or "flame" on you, just looking for answers since the subject was brought up.

:asian:

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why did M-Tech put an Emerson Wave (patented) on the fixed blade version? It looks an awful lot like infringement to me.

It's a thumb ramp. You can't Wave a fixed blade; it's an opening mechanism by definition.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a good price ($15 for the basic model)--it's worth playing around with it at that price. I tried to buy it but their software choked on my credit card. Maybe I'll try another time.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
but as StickDummy has been teacing Penjak to me and my students andhas given us a love of the kerambit. I'm gonna stick something in here.
This is a link to a website carrying the Hibben Claw II. It seems they are out of stock. A few of my students and assosciates have the weapon, and I have my opinion on it. I thought I would throw it out here for you all to discuss.Hibben Claw II

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a very reasonable price too. I really am partial to folders though. I know all the arguements against them and I agree--but for how I carry them, folders are far and away the most convenient.

M

Michelle

Originally posted by arnisador
I really am partial to folders though. I know all the arguements against them and I agree--

Arnisador

What arguements if I may ask? My EDC is a karambit folder... I think it's a good choice.... as long as you choose a good knife for it.

M

M

Michelle

Originally posted by Cthulhu
Michelle,
A picture of the kerambit in question, the 'Kerambitch' can be found in the following thread:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=128120#post128120

Cthulhu

Thanks for the link. I searched for days and found nothing on it. I was actually at Blade 2003 in Atlanta (where the thread said the prototype was shown) but was working it so I didn't get to see much of what was out on the tables.

That is one fine looking blade and it's going to be a shame if they don't make it. Anyone know why it might have been abandoned? It's interesting how the profile of the blade looks more like the folders (dimension and degree of curve) yet its fixed. They've got the rear break too which is awesome.

Pretty pretty. Hope they make it.

Michelle

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I seem to recall that the name 'kerambitch' was coined because of the difficulties involved with making the blade. If this is true, then perhaps Mr. Hossom decided it would require too much effort to make these in any significant quantity.

I could be mistaken, though.

Cthulhu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michelle
Arnisador

What arguements if I may ask?

That folders can break/refold on you when you need them--they're less sturdy.

Plus, there's the time required to open them when they're needed.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by OULobo
I have a cheap Pakistani made karambit that I picked up online. It is crap steel and made to sell to rednecks with fancy knife addictions, but with a pretty traditional design. have you seen these and what is your opinion. If I get a chance, I'll post a pic.

Here's the pic of my fun little Pakistani POS.

Attachments

• $mini-karambit.jpg
    $mini-karambit.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 227

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The new Tactical Knives issue has a whole article dedicated to karambits inside.

M

MNKaliGroupRayW

I have a fettish for the Kerambit that started when I began my Mande Muda Silat training.

In the last year I found both the Claw 2 and the M-tech knives. Based on price alone I bought them to check out.

While the Hibbing Claw 2 is thin (standard 440 stainless) because most don't have the handle wood, (I did find some with wood for about $7.00 more at Smokey Mountain Knifeworks) It's design is very well suited for both the extended and reverse grip methods. Those tabs didn't bother me, and they actually make the extended grips stronger. It's dimensions are small, but not to most international kerambits. (not everyone has hands as big as 6'2 americans) And at $17.00 ea. they were the best deal out there on fixed blade kerambits.

My take is the M-tech is flawed but cheap enough for entry level users. I bought two, ground the blade off one for practice and experimened with carry and drawing. I can't believe the clip position, - obviously made by none users. If you carry left handed you can make some allowances, but not much good otherwise. After repeated practice the frame screws seem to be loosening, but a hex wrench and some "locktight" should remedy that. Overall I would still purchase these just because the price was right, $15.00 on Ebay.

In a world of $100.00 fixed and locking Kerambits, these are good for people who are curious about the design, and seek comparison to other knives.

PS. Arnisidoor- Where did you find your handmade Pakistani Kerambit?

Ray

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just did a throwing & knife fighting seminar with Gil Hibben this weekend. It was great fun with tomahawks and throwers, but I also picked up one of the Hibben Claw 2's and a folder I liked.

It is a servicable kerambit, but not for someone with huge hands. I am 5'9" and about 200 lbs., not petite hands, but if I was any bigger I would need a little more thickness through the handle for serieous work. I do like the thumb tab for the grip. His throwers have a serrated area for thumbs with the idea being a "Chinese Fist" type grip secures the weapon and gives better control for wetwork or throwing. I am not saying others are not better, but it was cool being taught fighting technique and throwing by the man who designed the blades.

-Michael

Latest Discussions