Kanku Dai, a fight, and a bo form

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jake has started running a new tournament kata...Kanku Dai. He has been working on it for a couple months trying to get it ready for our organization’s world championships next Month. He really likes it but is a little behind schedule getting it ready for next month.

Here he is at a small tournament this past weekend. Any advice and/or critiques welcome.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When we do kata, we are supposed to end the kata on the same spot where we started. I did notice that he ended up a few feet further back, then where he started his kata. (looks a little to the right as well) However, I don't know how important that is in your organization / style...

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
When we do kata, we are supposed to end the kata on the same spot where we started. I did notice that he ended up a few feet further back, then where he started his kata. (looks a little to the right as well) However, I don't know how important that is in your organization / style...

The organization is open to all styles so its not a requirement....but if Kanku Dai is supposed to end where it starts he definitely needs to figure out why he is off.

Thanks for the input...we will definitely check on this.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is the likleyhood he can get sniped after he scores the point?

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is the likleyhood he can get sniped after he scores the point?

Depends on what you are talking about...after center judge calls break...sure he tends to relax before exiting.

With a counter....not often. He gives counter fighters fits.....taller fighters that are aggressive is what is toughest for him.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jake has started running a new tournament kata...Kanku Dai. He has been working on it for a couple months trying to get it ready for our organization’s world championships next Month. He really likes it but is a little behind schedule getting it ready for next month.

Here he is at a small tournament this past weekend. Any advice and/or critiques welcome.

Very similar to Batsai Dai. I am guessing he is right handed as he has the typical toes up left side kick. Going up the middle was pretty stiff. Everything was solid. His bo staff is legit.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very similar to Batsai Dai. I am guessing he is right handed as he has the typical toes up left side kick. Going up the middle was pretty stiff. Everything was solid. His bo staff is legit.

Yeah...he is still getting comfortable with it and still is a little stiff.

He is right handed in some things but left handed in others...he is weird like that. Lol.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah...he is still getting comfortable with it and still is a little stiff.

He is right handed in some things but left handed in others...he is weird like that. Lol.
I have a few Shotokan friends so I undstand. Okinawan forms are much quicker and stiffer that I am used. If it doesn't violate his teaching, he can get his kicking knee up quicker and that usually helps get the foot over. It doesn't appear he is trained to get the shoulder over too much but that also help a lot.
The other kid was so out classed it was hard to really gauge his sparring but he has really good relaxed form.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on what you are talking about...after center judge calls break...sure he tends to relax before exiting.

With a counter....not often. He gives counter fighters fits.....taller fighters that are aggressive is what is toughest for him.

Yeah scores the point and then sits there. I don't know if it is a thing to worry about or not.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah scores the point and then sits there. I don't know if it is a thing to worry about or not.

Yeah thats more due to the center judge yelling break....In the Dojo, they do continuous sparring and he actually does a good job exiting out at an angle behind a punch or kick.

Thats what throws him off.....normally he likes to exit behind a strike but when they yell break he has to stop his combo which screws up his exit.

That match wasn't a good example....he knew he was much better in skill level and was just cruising. We used that fight for the video just because it was someone new that he was competing against.

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
.... can I just say.... wow. That Kanku Dai was amazing. You have a very talented son, seriously. That was miles ahead of many people I've seen at his age performing it. Such control, balance, power, fluidity.. really enjoyed that performance :D

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks he works hard.

He knows he has to work on maintaining his power throughout the kata. He loses some power as the kata goes. He is working on finishing stronger.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just put Jake thru 45 minutes of drilling Kanku Dai at full power......then threw in 20 Burpees, 20 pushups and 20 sit ups to finish the workout.

Also did a about 20 minutes of bag work as a warm up.

Good workout. Kanku Dai getting a little stronger.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just put Jake thru 45 minutes of drilling Kanku Dai at full power......then threw in 20 Burpees, 20 pushups and 20 sit ups to finish the workout.

Nice.

Is his bo kata a made up one, or is it a traditional kata? If so, what kata is it?

My advice if I may... slow down the bo kata just a tad. There were times when he looked like he was moving his head around the bo rather than the bo around his head (kinda like Joker in Full Metal Jacket if you know the scene). And there were times when he appeared to watch the end of his bo rather than looking forward. I’m not talking about the strikes where he’s possibly hitting a downed opponent nor the end where he’s taking a few steps backwards. But it wasn’t supposed to look down during those, then my advice is more apparent :)

Last edited:
OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is his bo kata a made up one, or is it a traditional kata? If so, what kata is it?

It is a made up one but it was made up probably 30-40 years ago.

His style is Korean Karate whose founder trained at the Chung Do Kwan in Korea in the late 40's. In the mid 50's, the founder began incorporating weapons forms and training into the curriculum from other styles of karate. This form was one of the forms created by chief instructors in the late 70s or early 80s.

It is 1 of 3 Bo Forms required in the Black Belt test for his style.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is a made up one but it was made up probably 30-40 years ago.

His style is Korean Karate whose founder trained at the Chung Do Kwan in Korea in the late 40's. In the mid 50's, the founder began incorporating weapons forms and training into the curriculum from other styles of karate. This form was one of the forms created by chief instructors in the late 70s or early 80s.

It is 1 of 3 Bo Forms required in the Black Belt test for his style.
Gotcha. Then again, isn’t every single kata a made up one? Someone made them up at one point or another :)

I asked because it had several elements of a few traditional bo kata I’ve seen. I wasn’t sure if it was a traditional kata, a school kata, or if he made it up himself.

He looked great doing it. It’s just a matter of polishing a little bit.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I asked because it had several elements of a few traditional bo kata I’ve seen

Nice Catch....thats how it originated. Black belts taking parts from other forms.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ah, the good ole days!

Latest Discussions