Kanji

K

Ken JP Stuczynski

Anyone here do Kanji ("finger-weaving")? Anyone make the connection with Hindu Mudra?

OP
S

Shadow Hunter

Kanji does not mean "finger weaving." Kanji is the name in Japanese for the charecters taken from Chinese.

And yes, kuji kiri comes from Buddhism, Buddhism comes from India and India is famous for Hindism. Unfortunatly, at each step along the line, a little of the message and purity of the teachings suffered.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone here do Kanji ("finger-weaving")?

I believe the word you are looking for is kuji or ketsu-in. I have never personally done them, but some in the Bujinkan are familiar with the Sanpo Gassho from Gyokko-ryu and Gassho Kuji-Kiri from Koto-ryu. There is also Hayes' much-criticized Kuji Goshin Ho system.

Anyone make the connection with Hindu Mudra?

Not any particulars, no, but it is very obvious these various systems stem from Tantra.

And yes, kuji kiri comes from Buddhism, Buddhism comes from India and India is famous for Hindism. Unfortunatly, at each step along the line, a little of the message and purity of the teachings suffered.

What? No, I wouldn't say that. Tibetan Tantra is probably unmatched in this area. In any event, "purity" is not exactly something you may want to maintain. In many instances, later forms of development in either a martial art or spiritual system may or may not be superior developments. Mahayana Buddhism for example delves into levels of consciousness and being untouched by Theravada.

OP
K

Ken JP Stuczynski

Originally posted by Shadow Hunter
Kanji does not mean "finger weaving." Kanji is the name in Japanese for the charecters taken from Chinese.

I stand corrected ... but the term Kanji still holds for Ninjitsu, as people perform the hand gestures tracing the Sino-Japanese characters.

OP
K

Ken JP Stuczynski

Originally posted by heretic888
Tibetan Tantra is probably unmatched in this area. In any event, "purity" is not exactly something you may want to maintain. In many instances, later forms of development in either a martial art or spiritual system may or may not be superior developments. Mahayana Buddhism for example delves into levels of consciousness and being untouched by Theravada.

I'm not sure what you mean. No agreeing or disagreeing, just don't get what your point is.

The kuji ARE different from the Mudra, but there definitely must be an evolution or transfer of culture there (not placing any judgement value on it -- just an observation).

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just me ranting, Ken. If it doesn't make sense to you, don't worry about it. ;)

OP
K

Ken JP Stuczynski

Originally posted by heretic888
Just me ranting, Ken. If it doesn't make sense to you, don't worry about it. ;)

No, I understand all about Tantric, Mahayana, etc... but wasn't sure if you were asserting a particular point.

Besides, Hinayana has the same principle in that respect doesn't it?

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, I understand all about Tantric, Mahayana, etc... but wasn't sure if you were asserting a particular point.

Besides, Hinayana has the same principle in that respect doesn't it?

Yes, it does. They're all Buddhism, and they all have a goal focusing on transcending the ego-self.

My point was that Mahayana/Vajrayana/Tantic Buddhism goes beyond Theravada/Hinayana Buddhism. It goes deeper, if you will. As for Mudra vs. Kuji comparisons between the various traditions (including Ninpo), you'd have to ask someone more knowledgable on the particulars than me.

I dunno, I am very influenced by the writings of Ken Wilber in this regard. His books would probably explain what I'm getting at better than I will online.

Laterz. :D

Pervaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Theres a BIG connection with the Kuji (finger weaving) and mudra and mantra - think of it as a 3 legged stool for thought, word and deed. If one of the link isnt there then the whole collection collapses.

I believe that there is a very close link with Jap/Tibetan and Indian buddism. One of my friends used to go to a Hindu presit for lessons in certain aspects of their religon - which included the above components.

Its a long and deep study where u need a VERY good teacher who can help you understand the connections -- and you cant teach it thru videos/pictures/books..

Om so ha humba - shida sarama tarama - shida kan.

Pervaz

OP
K

Ken JP Stuczynski

Originally posted by Jay Bell
Om Mani Padme Hum ;)

"The Seed of the Universe is Within Me"

Any other shots at translating that one?

Latest Discussions