Buyu Camp

P

phlux

I waited for a time to see if anyone here was going to mention this years Buyu camp near San Francisco.

I attended and learned quite a bit.

I was especially interested in the classes held by Steffen Frolich of Germany.

Jack Hoban was there and had a lot of great things to share.

I can go into more of what I learned if anyone is interested... but please let me know if you were there as well.

OP
P

phlux

Well apparently nobody else went and doesnt want to talk about anything interesting. So, I will jsut write for my own pleasure - hopefully you enjoy reading.

At Buyu Camp this year i took classes from the following instructors:

Jack hoban
Steffen Frolich
Bill Atkins
Richard Van Donk

I took two classes with Steffen - as he came all the way from germany, is 14th Dan - and moves in the most perfectly subtle ways.

The theme this year is Juppo Sessho (you can learn more about it from Jack hobans site http://www.livingvalues.com)and we were doing a lot of techniques with the Kunai. The reason why I found Steffens classes to be the best of the camp were that he really focused on the principles of the movement - rather than any particular technique with a Kunai. At least moreso than some other instructors.

A lot of the movement that we did in this class was based around a specific movement of the hips and a particular attention to how we were controlling the space arround our opponent.

In particular the emphasis was on "owning" the right space - the space that your opponent would need to occupy in order to be a threat, but doing so in such a way as we became the owner of the space by simply moving to where we needed to be - by the mere act of walking and moving we were breaking the kamae of our opponent and consuming the space around him while not focusing on his attack or weapons.

This is difficult to put into words - so bear with me...

In many techniques that one learns in martial arts - the focus is typically on "what to do about X" what to do about the punch, kick, knife, sword etc... rather than focusing on what to do about the space where the threat is NOT. The Fist only occupies a very very small amount of space - and can only hit a rather small target, but the area around the fist and arm is huge in comparison - it is also very easy to simply move into that space that is not occupied by the moving fist or weapon - rather than trying to prevent the fist or weapon from moving into the space you temporarily occupy.

so - as we all know - when the fist is coming at you, get out of the way. Do not think at all about what the fist is doing, just move - keep your kamae, keep your back straight - stay on balance. Move into the space where you opponent would have to be if he were going to be a threat to you. If you occupy the space that your opponent would need - then he cannot move into a position where you would be in jeapardy.

The other aspect of this was that the kamae that was maintained - was in the head. Meaning that one would be mentally ready - mentally in kamae - but would not be standing in any particular stance, sometimes not even facing the opponent - the kamae is a state of mind.

This, Steffen, kept referring to as the Dragon.

Ill write more later I guess.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor just attended a Jack Hoban Seminar, and he has been working on that exact concept with us! You say:

"This is difficult to put into words - so bear with me..."

I say you did fine considering It's a diffcult concept to wrap your mind around at ALL even tho it is so SIMPLE in theory....

OP
P

phlux

So to begin, somewhat where I left off, we were talking about the taking of the proper space - and the moving into the safe space.

The other important aspect of the Steffen Classes were that he was emphasizing that we need to "get a message to the opponents head" that we "always tak the message to the opponents head"

By Messege - think "Pain Mail" as I call it.

The goal is that the movements and Kamae that we are practicing are "Urban" in the sence that you should be in this state at any point out in the real world. As such - your technique and movement should take into consideration that if you were to be in a situation where there are many people, opening up a big can of ninja whoop-*** on someone in public is not always a good idea. So - one thing to do is to make surethat you send a message to your opponent, with full intent, STOP. This is done through various avenues - one is to own the space that he needs. This prevents him from being a position to ba a threat. Another is to ensure that you make intentful eye contact. Make sure that your opponent SEES you - and sees that he is being given the opportunity to stop - the situation will only become as grave as his actions determine.

In order to really make sure that your opponent gets the message (when doing movements with the theme weapon of the Kunai) is to show the Kunai to the opponent. Not simply taking it out and waiving it about - but lets say your opponent throws a punch - you move around the punch and let his movement extend such that you can lead him out of his kamae. When he is extended forward you can put the Kunai up so that it would be in front of his face. You are only brandishing the weapon in such a manner so as to show that this really is as far as your opponent should want to take this.

So back to the movement and the Kamae.

Jack Hobans class was also very informative. With regards to manipulating the space, we did some excercises that are easy to begin understanding this simple complex concept.

First - all movement that you do has a desired effect - and that effect is to keep youself safe and in control of the situation. In order to accomplish this, the best thing that one can do is ensure that his opponent is not in a position to be in control. If one is not in control of his own balance and kamae, one cannot be in control of a physical situation with one or more opponents.

That said - I will talk about the movements we did with Jack Hoban. Every move we made had an effect on our opponents kamae - so dont forget that asspect when I describe the movements.

One of the first excercises was your Uke grabs you - either both lapels, choke from the front, or a nelson from behind. The traditional technique from a front double lapel hold would be to step either forward or back and do some sort of technique where we are manipulating the hand/arm to get an arm bar or wrist lock of some sort.

but here we are focusing on SPACE - not the appendages of the opponent. so since we are being held - we need to find a way to get into the space that we need. in this example we need to move into the space between the arms. The movement here is that of a Worm, or an undulating wave.

If you study "stances" of earth, water, fire, air, void - then this is primarily water and fire.

Keep your Kamae. Get low and route your left arm around your opponents right arm - spiraling around his arm at the elbow joint. Slide your right fore-arm at his left elbow joint a hit him in the chin as you move forward. You do this in a sort of Squirming movement with your shoulders, while keeping your back straight and producing all your movement from your hips and walking. Do not bend over.

From this movement you can get your opponent off kamae rather easily - and move into whatever technique the Uke's resistance may dictate.

I thought that the last one would be the easiest to describe in words - but it turned out to be rather difficult - so i will avoid particular techniques.

In this example we are "squeezing" our being through the open space that our opponent does not occupy.

"The tighter you grip, the more galaxies will fall through your fingers"

The principle that I am trying to convey here is that we do not care about the particular attack of the opponent. Oour opponent loses because he is focused on something very small and finite - hitting us. We on the otherhand are merely concerned with taking the safe space - being in the space where our opponent is not. In, around and behind his movements.

THe other important aspect of this is that we do not use strength to accomplish our movements. We use the principles of physics and the human body to move to where we need to be - we move through the balance lines of the opponent - sliding around an elbow causes the arm to fold in a certain way - regardless of how strongly he may be holding on to you.

Thanks.

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey phlux.....

GREAT STUFF!!! I know how hard it is to word this stuff but you have done a good job.

Hope to see more from you.

Deaf.

Latest Discussions