Just when you thought it was safe to study...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love animals as much as the next person, but these folks are certifiable.
Agreed.
Theologically animals were placed here for our use, as food, clothing, whatever and I would like to think also to use as ways to learn more... about ourselves and our bodies and to cure diseases.

These people are taking it way too far in the protection of animal rights. Something is screwy with their wiring.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cowards. They never put themselves in situations where they are able to receive an ***-whupping. I've been dealing with these guys my whole research career, and one has yet to actually get in our faces. They can talk big, but I'll believe it when I see it. Following kids to school or demonstrating outside a house is a big step away from actually attacking someone.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cowards. They never put themselves in situations where they are able to receive an ***-whupping. I've been dealing with these guys my whole research career, and one has yet to actually get in our faces. They can talk big, but I'll believe it when I see it. Following kids to school or demonstrating outside a house is a big step away from actually attacking someone.

True, however, there are the unstable that have in the past done real damage, a lot of it with utter disregard for human casualties...ALF and ELF come to mind. I think they have killed a couple folks in their line of operations (and are happily sponsored by PETA, I might add)

so dismissing them outright is unwise, IMHO.

Going all paranoid though is not smart either...

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
True, however, there are the unstable that have in the past done real damage, a lot of it with utter disregard for human casualties...ALF and ELF come to mind. I think they have killed a couple folks in their line of operations (and are happily sponsored by PETA, I might add)

so dismissing them outright is unwise, IMHO.

Going all paranoid though is not smart either...

I might be wrong, but I don't think they've ever killed anyone, accidentally or not. They've torched empty cars or empty homes. They've broken into facilities in the middle of the night when no one is around. They've even gotten hired for undercover work. The only time I've ever heard of them actually attacking someone is when a couple of them attacked a higher-up in Huntington Life Sciences in the UK.

They can certainly do a lot of damage, and I don't want to disregard that. I do think though that they don't have the stones to attack people. Certainly not in a way that puts them in danger of a beating.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I don't think they've ever killed anyone, accidentally or not. They've torched empty cars or empty homes. They've broken into facilities in the middle of the night when no one is around. They've even gotten hired for undercover work. The only time I've ever heard of them actually attacking someone is when a couple of them attacked a higher-up in Huntington Life Sciences in the UK.

They can certainly do a lot of damage, and I don't want to disregard that. I do think though that they don't have the stones to attack people. Certainly not in a way that puts them in danger of a beating.

I might have to dig deeper int it, but I am pretty certain I remember that ALF has killed at least one person, or, at bare minimum cause bodily harm.

Cowards are more dangerous than a brave man!

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So is it safe to assume that they're offering to take the place of the mice and rats currently used to test for toxicity of potential therapeutics?

It would be great for research, since if a compound shows toxicity to animals it is only an approximation of the effect on people; if something is clean in the animal tox it does not mean that it will be harmless to people.

It would also be a way for these people to actually serve a useful purpose with their lives.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer animals to most humans I know and it makes me cringe when i think of some of the things done to animals in the name of testing, but come on. These people are just freaking crazy.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer animals to most humans I know and it makes me cringe when i think of some of the things done to animals in the name of testing, but come on. These people are just freaking crazy.

Not really. They've just taken their chosen belief system to its logical conclusion. Much like the fundamentalists. They are more pure to their belief systems than those who say they are for a thing but do nothing about it. I guess in a way that makes them crazy, but in a different way from the truly disturbed.

That sort of conviction can lead you to some very dark places however. No ideology or belief system is going to give a good result in all circumstances, so those who hold rigidly to the belief system will end up in some bad places.

Latest Discussions