Just wanted to share a moment

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At my last grading, I had a parent who's been around Taekwondo in the province for years attending who isn't usually around during classes. She told me afterward, having watched me teach a little bit before the grading and demonstrate a technique for the students, that I reminded her of a certain instructor I had growing up in technique and teaching style. This particular instructor, I consider to be the best all around martial artist I know and he is the instructor I consider probably the most important to my development and the one I looked up to the most, since he was fairly young at the time and easiest for me to identify with.

To me, this was very high praise and it made me stop and reflect on a few things. I'd consider it a turning point for sure and to be told that makes me proud of what I've done in Taekwondo.

Has anyone else ever been likened to a former instructor of theirs? What'd you think about it? It is a bit of an odd feeling to me but a good one.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever been likened to a former instructor of theirs? What'd you think about it? It is a bit of an odd feeling to me but a good one.

I don't think I have ever had that happen to me, me being compared to one of my instructors (to me, there are no "former" instructors, anymore than there are any "former" parents). But I have had others comment that one of my students reminded them of me.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's true, actually, I say former because he has a dojang separate from my current instructor, who he taught for at the time. I trained at his dojang a few weeks ago.

As trivial as it sounds it made me happy, it was probably the best compliment I've been paid in martial arts. He was instrumental as well in the KKW association process we talked about a while ago and one of the original PTF guys here so his influence on me started when I was too young to remember

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grats man. That's a great compliment when someone compares you to someone you feel is a great martial artist and/or teacher.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score

I have had several people tell me that I remind them of my instructor. It's an extremely gratifying and humbling experience because he's one of the best Taekwon-Doin I've seen in 26 years of training (speaking personally, I still have a long way to go before I'm anywhere near his level of proficiency). The first person to tell me that was his wife, who is also my instructor.

Pax,

Chris

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations. Nice compliment. I haven't reached a sufficient level nor taught enough for any such thing to happen to me. But I would be very honored and humbled should anyone compare me to my deceased GM.

Latest Discussions