Jum Sau

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Despite all my years in training, this is one technique that for some reason I just don't get. It is my least favorite one, and I hardly ever use it. I mean, sometimes I might do something that LOOKS like a Jum Sau, but guess what? It usually cuts right across the low attack and becomes a punch.

Can anyone explain their take on the purpose of this technique?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Despite all my years in training, this is one technique that for some reason I just don't get. It is my least favorite one, and I hardly ever use it. I mean, sometimes I might do something that LOOKS like a Jum Sau, but guess what? It usually cuts right across the low attack and becomes a punch.

It's a clear. Sink it down and strike over it, or sink it, huen to the inside and strike, depending on what angle you have.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jum Sao = Sinking Hand

It is used primarily to defend against attacks to the stomach by covering the line of attack. You should turn when you apply it, as your elbow must be connected with your hip for it to work. Generally left jum sao you twist your waist to the right, and right jum sao you twist your waist to the left.

Like you said, it can transition immediately into a punch or a chop if you are quick enough.

Generally speaking in my style of Wing Chun, as you do a jam sau (always my right arm to my opponents left arm and vice versa), the Jam usually becomes a strike and we move around the opponent to the outside gate to avoid trading blows.

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
...guess what? It usually cuts right across the low attack and becomes a punch.

That's EXACTLY it. Don't get so caught up in isolating techniques and naming fixed postitions that you can't see the forest through the trees. Techniques often have many variations in live engagements and many different applications, they come and go in the blink of an eye, and fluidly transform into something else. You just nailed the concepts of simultaneous attack & defense, everything is an attack, forward intent, and free hand goes forward in your question.

Latest Discussions