Jujutsu Gi Choke Video... You Did It A Wee Bit Too Much

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understood what you meant, the bit about techniques coming on quicker was something else that happens as well as what you were talking about.

Fighters think they are prepared, even experienced ones but when they actually get in and face their opponent a lot of training actually goes out of the window, it's only the professional fighters who fight for a living who can retain their complete concentration. Most fighters whatever rules they fight are actually amateurs who are scared for themselves when they get in to the cage. I've seen some who either don't come out of the changing room and some who've got as far as the cage door and turned round and left! Some weigh in, say they are going for food and are never seen again, a real pain from the promoters point of view.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
:rules:

Note to self: Do not go into a Jujutsu/Judo thread and imply there might be a defense to a Jujutsu/Jodo technique.

Less controversial to claim a belief in Christianity. :uhyeah:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ha, we're not saying there isn't any way to defend against a choke, just that the method you described have been found to be lacking in most of our experience. Your first point (tucking in your chin), as well as the idea of moving before the choke is on, is spot on. There are other things, but they're probably the key.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
:rules:

Note to self: Do not go into a Jujutsu/Judo thread and imply there might be a defense to a Jujutsu/Jodo technique.

Less controversial to claim a belief in Christianity. :uhyeah:
Not quite true. There are many defenses to this choke. Your suggestions just aren't ones I think would work. Tucking the chin is good, and avoiding the choke altogether is also good (when practical).

Point is, if someone's attempting to catch you with a bow and arrow choke, that someone is going to be at least somewhat trained in grappling. This isn't the type of technique that a casual UFC fan is going to be familiar with. And that someone, with at least some amount of formal training, will very likely know how to deal with defenses that include pain compliance.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are defences to just about everything, for me though I find it hard to explain on here I'm better at showing so I leave it to those who can explain properly.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
While it in no way applies to general self defense - I do not believe there's a realistic way to defend against a good choke put on by experienced grappler once he gets position, by a person who doesn't have grappling skills.

Latest Discussions