Washing your gi....?

TapouT

White Belt
Reaction score
Whats the right way to wash your gi without ruining it?
Like cold/hot water?
Dry/not dry?
Can I wash it with other clothes?
Is it bad to blech it? (i have a white gi)

Haha Im sorry, these must be pretty obvious questions but Im new at this /:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whats the right way to wash your gi without ruining it?
Like cold/hot water?
Dry/not dry?
Can I wash it with other clothes?
Is it bad to blech it? (i have a white gi)

Haha Im sorry, these must be pretty obvious questions but Im new at this /:

Wash in hot water or however you wash your other white clothes. Dry in dryer or on line as you prefer. Use fabric softener if you wish. Bleach or other whitener as needed if it gets dingy or has stains.

That's about it. My main gi is cotton, so I washed it on hot and dried it on hot a couple times before I had it cut down to fit me, that way it had shrunk as much as it was going to.

I do not wash my obi.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wash in hot water or however you wash your other white clothes. Dry in dryer or on line as you prefer. Use fabric softener if you wish. Bleach or other whitener as needed if it gets dingy or has stains.

That's about it. My main gi is cotton, so I washed it on hot and dried it on hot a couple times before I had it cut down to fit me, that way it had shrunk as much as it was going to.

I do not wash my obi.
I have a post about this on my blog: http://www.stevebjj.com/2009/07/01/washing-the-bjj-gi/

Bottom line, though, is the gi might shrink if you wash it hot. Not a problem, if it fits a little long, but I've seen a lot of dudes on the mats wearing jiu jitsu gis that look more like kyokushin karate gis.

Don't use bleach. I saw in another thread you train in jiu jitsu. Bleach DOES make the threads of your fabric more prone to tearing and your gi will not last nearly as long if you bleach it. I recommend that you use White Vinegar in every load. It's dirt cheap, comes in 2 gallon jugs from the grocery store and is amazingly good at keeping the gi white and smell free.

If you line dry your gi, make sure it's completely dry before you wear it. I recommend drying it in the dryer, but again, it may shrink.

Jiu jitsu gis are heavier weight than most other gis, as they're made to withstand a lot of gripping and such. So, I don't recommend washing more than 2 gis at a time. Over loading the washer keeps the clothes from getting clean and will result in a persistent funk over time.

OP
TapouT

TapouT

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a post about this on my blog: http://www.stevebjj.com/2009/07/01/washing-the-bjj-gi/

Bottom line, though, is the gi might shrink if you wash it hot. Not a problem, if it fits a little long, but I've seen a lot of dudes on the mats wearing jiu jitsu gis that look more like kyokushin karate gis.

Don't use bleach. I saw in another thread you train in jiu jitsu. Bleach DOES make the threads of your fabric more prone to tearing and your gi will not last nearly as long if you bleach it. I recommend that you use White Vinegar in every load. It's dirt cheap, comes in 2 gallon jugs from the grocery store and is amazingly good at keeping the gi white and smell free.

If you line dry your gi, make sure it's completely dry before you wear it. I recommend drying it in the dryer, but again, it may shrink.

Jiu jitsu gis are heavier weight than most other gis, as they're made to withstand a lot of gripping and such. So, I don't recommend washing more than 2 gis at a time. Over loading the washer keeps the clothes from getting clean and will result in a persistent funk over time.

Ooooh alright, thank you! I did remember my Sensi say something about cold water, but I didnt quite catch what he was saying. And my gi fits pretty well.. So should I just wash it in cold water and hang it up? And when you use the vinegar do you use regular washing detergant with it? or just the vinegar alone? Sorry for so many questions... But thank you!! :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice blog post Steve. When I trained in an art that used belts (and also used electrical tape for achievement stripes) I washed my belt in a lingere bag. This helped the tape stay put and also ensures that a wayward piece of tape, should it come loose, would not get stuck to another article of clothing. :)

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I do not wash my obi.

Don't wash your Gi on hot. Cold water and air dry.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Use your regular laundry soap. Add vinegar to wash along with the soap. I also use it in the rinse instead of fabric softener.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skeksi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My gi is always too big at the outset, so I wash it in hot for a few weeks until it's shrunk down a bit, then cold for the duration of its life. I air dry unless I have to wash it the same day as class. I am careful about where I air dry it as some of the folks in my class obviously use a moist basement--they smell like mildew!

Latest Discussions