judo olympic coverage

Mekugi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think that was Uchishiba against Krnac, Masato won the gold- krnac silver.

bignick said:
hey...anybody see or tape the coverage from last night...any better?...i don't get bravo...but i was reading some of the results and evidently someone one by ippon with sumi otoshi...that's not something you see everyday in competition

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yeah...that's what i thought...i'd like to see a vid of that...

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
auxprix said:
Can you please be more specific. Are you talking about olympic Boycotts, or some other tournements.

Olympic. auxprix stated that he couldn't beleive that a country would forego a chance at a medal over a political dispute. The boycotts of the 80's were about political disputes.

A

auxprix

CanuckMA said:
Olympic. auxprix stated that he couldn't beleive that a country would forego a chance at a medal over a political dispute. The boycotts of the 80's were about political disputes.

Oh, so you're talking about the U.S. and Russian refusals to compete in each other's country. I thought it was a reference to Iran and some boycott that I didn't know about. Sorry for the confusion

I believe the situations to be different. The U.S. and Russia were protesting the games being in the other's country, and less about refusing to compete against them. I don't know a ton about Olympic history, but I don't remember any instance where Russia or the U.S. refused to compete in an event in a neutral country. That would be more similar to the current situation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What I'm saying is that I believe that if Iran was confident in it's ability to win, it would take the opportunity to do so. I think that much of the decision was based around the fear of the humiliation of losing to the Israelis.

I realize that I can't prove this in anyway, and that is why I can only call it opinion. It's just my worldview that egos play a large part in decisions, even when it's in high levels of government.

Moving on...

BigNick, Pedro's bronze match was on NBC. Did you miss that one?

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
auxprix said:
Oh, so you're talking about the U.S. and Russian refusals to compete in each other's country. I thought it was a reference to Iran and some boycott that I didn't know about. Sorry for the confusion

I believe the situations to be different. The U.S. and Russia were protesting the games being in the other's country, and less about refusing to compete against them. I don't know a ton about Olympic history, but I don't remember any instance where Russia or the U.S. refused to compete in an event in a neutral country. That would be more similar to the current situation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If I remember correctly, The US boycotted Moscow to protest the USSR's involvement in Afghaninstan. USSR boycotted LA as retaliation for Moscow.

What I'm saying is that I believe that if Iran was confident in it's ability to win, it would take the opportunity to do so. I think that much of the decision was based around the fear of the humiliation of losing to the Israelis.

I realize that I can't prove this in anyway, and that is why I can only call it opinion. It's just my worldview that egos play a large part in decisions, even when it's in high levels of government.

It was just a convinient time to make a statement about the condition of a people they care nothing about other than to keep them in ****** conditions to make political hay out of it.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
auxprix said:
BigNick, Pedro's bronze match was on NBC. Did you miss that one?

nope...made sure i caught that one...

by the way who was commentating those matches....no offense...but i thought they were horrible

i paraphrase a bit..."well, he wanted to throw him there...but he just didn't have enough juice"..

A

auxprix

bignick said:
nope...made sure i caught that one...

by the way who was commentating those matches....no offense...but i thought they were horrible

i paraphrase a bit..."well, he wanted to throw him there...but he just didn't have enough juice"..

No kidding. I haven't heard them say the actual name of a single technique, in either Japanese OR English. There's no talk about strategies or relitive strengths of the competitors. It sounds alot like they taught two people the basic rules, the scoring system, and gave them a microphone and said "Go Nuts!"

they're even worse when the fight goes to the mat.

Competitor was going for the choke:
"She's attempting some sort of ground technique."

"He can either go for the hold-down or the choke" (what about the armbar?)

I'm paraphrasing a bit. Does anyone know who's calling these matches and what their qualifications are.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
...same reason why people in america don't watch cricket...nobody here understands it
...unless you've spent some time in a country where they play cricket regularly, as i have (england). i liked cricket the first time i saw it, and watched it on tv all the time... pestered my cricket-loving friends to explain the rules to me until i could understand the game pretty well. as an american, i actually saw lots of similarities to baseball (which is my favorite sport) - slow pace of play, arcane rules, knocking a small ball, judgment calls by the umpires (the lbw rule is really pretty similar to the called 3rd strike in baseball)... i'm really surprised that more americans don't like cricket, especially considering how popular baseball is in much of the US.

as for judo in the olympics, i've been trying to find out about any coverage on tv here in the states, but so far no luck... if they put it on at all, it will probably be at 4 in the morning.

as for the complex rules, do people think they're really any more complex than gymnastics? i mean, as a non-gymnast, how do i know all the detailed technical stuff the judges are looking for? yet, gymnastics seems to be pretty popular here.

can't explain it, really.

Latest Discussions