judo olympic coverage

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i started a similar post in the tkd forum...basically lamenting the poor coverage tkd was getting...and i'd thought see how the judoka feel about it...since our beloved judo is getting even less of coverage than tkd....

A

auxprix

It doesn't surprise me. Judo doesn't have a very accessible rulebook. Not to mention all comands are given in Japanese. I suppose that most Americans would watch it and give up rather quickly. Someone once wrote on the forums that the networks only want to broadcast the sports that the US has a chance at winning. I think there is definately some truth to this statement.

The market for Olympic Martial Arts is definately a niche one, at least in this country.

I'm going to throw a question back at you. Do you think that the lack of interest of these events may have anything to do with a resistance to cultural exports that the US may or may not have?

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
auxprix said:
Do you think that the lack of interest of these events may have anything to do with a resistance to cultural exports that the US may or may not have?

I think that for some people it certainly plays a role. But, if i may be a bit idealistic...i think you probably nailed it on the head when you said it has a lot to do with rules and formalities that aren't familiar to us...same reason why people in america don't watch cricket...nobody here understands it

A

auxprix

From what I gather from the olympics website (I can't believe how poorly designed it is!) Judo is on Bravo tonight (saturday, 8-14) at 12:00AM. I'm assuming the time was listed in Eastern. I'll be firing up my VCR tonight!

It looks like Pedro is getting some good coverage on Tuesday. I can't wait to see that!

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know what you're saying about the website...it's not very user friendly...and i don't get bravo here...so i'm stuck with just the two days its on nbc

P

Posiview

During the BBC coverage of the opening ceremony judo was mentioned a lot. Also, the judo coverage by the BBC, from what I've watched, is exceptional - much more coverage than previous years.

A

auxprix

I watched the bravo coverage last night. It was pitiful. They showed the 2 ultra lightweight final matches. They cut half of the men's match out to show comercials.

A

auxprix

To add on to my last post, if you are going to push something to that late-night time slot, at least show the events in entirity. I mean, they shortend it to show highlights from THE INDUCTION CERIMONY! And I stayed by my TV that late to see 8 minutes of judo (35 minutes of the hour was taken up by sailing). I feel so used. :mad:

M

Mark Weiser

Here is a News Item related to this Topic.

Olympics Hit by Crisis Over Iran-Israel Contest
Aug 15, 11:11 AM (ET)

By Douglas Hamilton

ATHENS (Reuters) - Iran's world judo champion Arash Miresmaeili refused to compete against an Israeli Sunday, triggering a fresh crisis at the Olympic Games where race, creed or color are barred from interfering in sport.

The International Judo Federation (IJF) failed to agree how to deal with the politically explosive issue at an emergency meeting and said it would hold further talks Monday.

The burning issue was whether any penalty would hit Miresmaeili alone or the entire Iranian team, as the intrusion of the Middle East's bitter politics threatened to fly in the face of the Olympic ideal.

"There has been no decision and we are considering this situation very carefully," said IJF spokesman Michel Brousse.

"This has not been brought to us as an issue and until it is, we would not have any comment," said a spokeswoman for the International Olympic Committee (IOC), which pledges to uphold the ideal of sport transcending national barriers.

The official reason at the Games for Miresmaeili's non-appearance was failure to make the weight but judo chiefs questioned how a seasoned athlete, who carried Iran's flag at Friday's opening ceremony, would have made such a basic error.

REAL REASON

But in Tehran, the Iranian National Olympic Committee said in a statement: "This is a general policy of our country to refrain from competing against athletes of the Zionist regime and Arash Miresmaeili has observed this policy."

Iran has refused to recognize Israel's right to exist since Islamic fundamentalists toppled the Shah in 1979.

Miresmaeili, who had been due to fight Israeli Ehud Vaks, was quoted by Iran's official news agency IRNA as saying he acted in solidarity with the Palestinians.

"Although I have trained for months and am in shape I refused to face my Israeli rival in sympathy with the oppressed Palestinian people," said Miresmaeili, 66 kg world champion in 2001 and 2003. "I am not upset about the decision I have made."

In a fresh doping case, Slovak shot putter Milan Haborak tested positive for a banned substance and left the Olympics, the Slovak news agency SITA reported.

"I really am sorry because I was really looking forward to competing. I trained long and hard. But I do not know that I took something that is banned," SITA quoted Haborak as saying.

Team spokesman Anton Zerer refused to comment on the report.

The Games were rocked last Thursday when Greece's top two athletes, Olympic 200 meters champion Costas Kenteris and 100 meters silver medallist Katerina Thanou, missed a dope test.

They were dropped from the host nation's team Saturday pending an IOC disciplinary hearing Monday.

A

auxprix

Yeah, I'd heard that. To me, it sounds like Miresmaeili and the Iranian government is affraid to loose to the Israelis.

There was another weird olympic Judo story this year. There was one competitor who jumped off the balcony of her hotel. 2 weeks later, her boyfriend did the same. Last I heard, she was it critical condition in a greek hospital. I can't find any articles on it anymore. Does anyone know anything about this?

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
auxprix said:
To me, it sounds like Miresmaeili and the Iranian government is affraid to loose to the Israelis.

that's really what it boils down too...if they won it would be great PR for Iran...but if Iranians lost against Isreali athletes...especially with the tension between the two countries...it could cause some problems..

T

TKD USA

Just a little information here, but I read on the nbcolympics website that they are going to show it on NBC on August 17. This will be the match with jimmy pedro( sorry if incorrect name )

Mekugi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have been getting coverage of Judo over in Japan, however I haven't seen any US players (imagine that). So far, there isn't anything too spectacular.

T

TKD USA

Actually I think NBC might show it today at around 11 to 2 at night so you might want to watch out fo it.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Iran-Israel thing has nothing to do with winning or losing. Iran does not recognizes Israel's existence. To compete against a representative of that country would be to admit that it exists.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I belive that those in Europe and Asia are getting much better coverage of all the events.

A

auxprix

CanuckMA said:
The Iran-Israel thing has nothing to do with winning or losing. Iran does not recognizes Israel's existence. To compete against a representative of that country would be to admit that it exists.

Yes, that is the official reason that was given by the Iranian government. However, I don't think that the fundementals of the statement are true. Iran has competed with Israel in soccer throughout history. I also googled Iran vs Israel sports, and found numorous instances of teams from the two countries competing.

Now, there are two ways to look at this.

#1) Iran is pulling its contestant out now to make a statement. However, this statement has little weight, since they have 'recognized' Israel by competing in other sports where they were the favored team. Which leads me to...

#2) Iran isn't sure about its competitiveness in Judo, and they would rather not compete at all rather than risk the humiliation of losing to the Israelis.

I'll agree that option #1 is very possible. It could just be that Iran is using this opportunity NOW to state their position. However, I think of the two viewpoints I expressed, #2 is much more plausible. I just don't believe that a country would forgo a chance at a medal just for a political dispute. Winning has always seemed very important for countries ruled by totalitarian regimes. It gives them a success story to exemplify to the country. It gives the rulers a new hero to use like a puppet. It takes the focus away from all the problems that are going on within the borders. I believe, if they were more confident, Iran would jump at the chance to defeat Isreal.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
auxprix said:
I just don't believe that a country would forgo a chance at a medal just for a political dispute. Winning has always seemed very important for countries ruled by totalitarian regimes. It gives them a success story to exemplify to the country. It gives the rulers a new hero to use like a puppet. It takes the focus away from all the problems that are going on within the borders. I believe, if they were more confident, Iran would jump at the chance to defeat Isreal.

The boycotts of the 1980s???

A

auxprix

Can you please be more specific. Are you talking about olympic Boycotts, or some other tournements.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hey...anybody see or tape the coverage from last night...any better?...i don't get bravo...but i was reading some of the results and evidently someone one by ippon with sumi otoshi...that's not something you see everyday in competition

Latest Discussions