Judo Gene Lebell

barnaby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I met him at a school in Los Angeles. He taught Judo of course and the Jujitsu was taught by a brilliant Armenian teacher named Gocor (SP?). If that's the school this was posted about, please let me know -- it'd be good to hear it's still in place. (On Sunset I think. It was on the second story in a strip mall).

Oops, just saw the post regarding Gokor's school.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've had the pleasure and honor of training with Sensei Gene, and I can tell you, it definitely hurts! He's got to be one of the toughest men I've ever trained with. The respect thats held for him by practically every martial artist thats in the know is unparalleled. IMO, he's the best grappler in the world.

Franco

barnaby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
oh if anyone is training at Gokor's, could you tell Karo (assuming he's still around -- one of Gokor's senior students) that Barnaby said hi? thanks --

Boru

White Belt
Reaction score
Gene is a wonderful Man I love him.
Having said that it is my belief that Gene has a incredible amount of knowledge in his brain, but at least half of his tech (if not more) is based on the sheer power that he alone has. I have worked out with Gene and I am a pritty fair sized man 6' 250lbs, his power in his hands are unbelievable, once he grabs you, your in deep trouble. But some of those holds only he could apply. Sure I could do them and so could the other students , but it just wasn't the same as him ( of Course). Not even great MAs could do them. Plus working out with Gene you have to watch out for the curse or what most of his students call there badge of honor i.e. major rib cacification (sp). alot of Genes students that I have come in contact with over the years have rib calcium build ups that look gross.( these guys must be immune to the bear hug now). Also I have found that Gene is a good teacher, but He is a better teacher for those with a basic foundation. I believe this is because of his incredible knowledge , Beginners just can't catch up fast enough. As far as the Steven Undersiege incident that is public knowledge, that was accually printed in several news papers. How ever what few people know ,that is also true is along time ago a young kung fu star had his back broken and it was called a training accident or as the movie portraid it a cheep shot by a beaten opponent it was neither. Gene snaped it , its on film and if the Parkers havent destroyed it yet , Its still there buried in Pasadena California. It is my belief that Ed Parker did not want the world to see that a little fast man thought to be unbeatable and a role model for every weak , picked on , short or skinny , fearful person in the world was destroyed easily by a big Bully ( dont get me wrong I know BL was the image of a god physically but next to gene he's a runt) That image of Gene breaking him destroys everything that MA in the US stands for i.e. You can learn to punch fast , kick hard, fly like the wind but this big lump of a man will still win and he will hurt you, Game over.
I think by not showing the world Many Ma schools stay in business. As for Mr. Lebelle he " makes all his money by looseing" ( in movies) and is happy with the knowledge that really only one man ever truly beat him. Who you ask? A man who fought Gene a thousand times and on one glorius day Al Thomas a 168lb man got behind Gene and Choked him out. He never fought Gene again after that and died of Cancer some years later. The witness to this fight is none other then Gene's lovely Wife.
icon12.gif

Boru

White Belt
Reaction score
Gene is a wonderful Man I love him.
Having said that it is my belief that Gene has a incredible amount of knowledge in his brain, but at least half of his tech (if not more) is based on the sheer power that he alone has. I have worked out with Gene and I am a pritty fair sized man 6' 250lbs, his power in his hands are unbelievable, once he grabs you, your in deep trouble. But some of those holds only he could apply. Sure I could do them and so could the other students , but it just wasn't the same as him ( of Course). Not even great MAs could do them. Plus working out with Gene you have to watch out for the curse or what most of his students call there badge of honor i.e. major rib cacification (sp). alot of Genes students that I have come in contact with over the years have rib calcium build ups that look gross.( these guys must be immune to the bear hug now). Also I have found that Gene is a good teacher, but He is a better teacher for those with a basic foundation. I believe this is because of his incredible knowledge , Beginners just can't catch up fast enough. As far as the Steven Undersiege incident that is public knowledge, that was accually printed in several news papers. How ever what few people know ,that is also true is along time ago a young kung fu star had his back broken and it was called a training accident or as the movie portraid it a cheep shot by a beaten opponent it was neither. Gene snaped it , its on film and if the Parkers havent destroyed it yet , Its still there buried in Pasadena California. It is my belief that Ed Parker did not want the world to see that a little fast man thought to be unbeatable and a role model for every weak , picked on , short or skinny , fearful person in the world was destroyed easily by a big Bully ( dont get me wrong I know BL was the image of a god physically but next to gene he's a runt) That image of Gene breaking him destroys everything that MA in the US stands for i.e. You can learn to punch fast , kick hard, fly like the wind but this big lump of a man will still win and he will hurt you, Game over.
I think by not showing the world Many Ma schools stay in business. As for Mr. Lebelle he " makes all his money by looseing" ( in movies) and is happy with the knowledge that really only one man ever truly beat him. Who you ask? A man who fought Gene a thousand times and on one glorius day Al Thomas a 168lb man got behind Gene and Choked him out. He never fought Gene again after that and died of Cancer some years later. The witness to this fight is none other then Gene's lovely Wife.
icon12.gif

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would love to train with JGL. I have one of his books and it is great.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No disrespect for BJJ, but when it made the scene, and everyone was saying how they changed martial arts by introducing grappling, I would always mention Judo Gene.
The public just was not ready, untill the UFC, to face the truth that grappling is important to being a well rounded fighter.
Just like Gene can Box and kick.
He is one of my Sensei's heros. When he talks about Judo Gene, you can see a bit of that 15 year old Judoka, my 63 year old Sensei was.
It's priceless and sweet.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw Gene Lebell last night when I was watching "Beerfest."
He was the red haired German man who started choking after a couple of blondes went topless (or I think that is how it went).
BTW, don't bother renting that one. It was terrible. I like a good, mindless movie every now and then, but that was not the one.

AoG

Karatedrifter7

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The version I heard on the Bruce Lee story was that basically, Bruce was again, being rough on stuntmen and so finally Gene basically picks him up in a fireman's carry and hauls him around the set for awhile. At one point Bruce says something like, "...put me down or I'll kill you." Gene ignores him and again, Bruce says put me down. Gene just tells him that, "I can't, you'd kill me" and proceeded to carry him around for awhile longer...

For the record this above..
This is the true version I looked it up on a Gene Website. He also said that "Bruce Lee's kicks could've sent him to China," thats on there too.
Was Gene being modest? Who knows. But the rumor of a fight and Bruce was choked out is false. He did train Bruce in grappling and Judo.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For anyone who's spent time with Gene, the idea that he could be a bully is laughable. As for teaching techniques that only work for him, I can't imagine Gene earning and maintaining a reputation for being the best grappler around if none of his many students could fight. Visit Gokor's school some Monday night when Gene is teaching and see if the students can walk the walk.

If it sounds like hero-worship when I talk about Gene, I'm guilty as charged. For close to 20 years, he's offered me invaluable insight and advice and after my sensei passed away, he was more than willing to help fill the gap as both an instructor and friend. I don't get the opportunity to train with Gene nearly as often as I'd like but every time I've been on the mat with him or spoken to him over the phone he's been exactly the type person I'd choose as an instructor.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like the stories behing Gene Labell, they are pretty neat. But, I wonder if they are just stories? Can anyone site credible references to these stories?

They are certainly not unbelievable. I just like evidence.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like the stories behing Gene Labell, they are pretty neat. But, I wonder if they are just stories? Can anyone site credible references to these stories?

They are certainly not unbelievable. I just like evidence.

I wasn't there so anything I say is just hearsay. Gene did tell me about tossing Bruce Lee on his shoulders and running around the GREEN HORNET set with him. I wouldn't waste my breath asking him whether he crippled Bruce or anyone else, he's a better person than that.

Abbax8

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
On JudoInfoSite there is a podcast you can hear with Gene. Check it out.

Peace

Dennis

Latest Discussions