Judo and BJJ?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does Judo have any sort of official position on BJJ? Do they consider it just a variant or substyle of Judo? Is there any prohibition against BJJ players competing in Judo tournaments if they play by the rules?

K

Kyle

There are lots of folks that do both. Obviously, you need to know the rules if you wish to compete successfully. But I have not heard of problems outside of that.

I have heard personal opinions :D, but nothing "official".

- Kyle

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a conversation on this topic, regarding my previous BJJ training, with a Rokudan and Hachidan of the Kodokan. They both chuckled together and said, "What they are doing is merely 1950's Judo"

BJJ is what the Kodokan focused on back in the 50's era and in their opinions, quite limited.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay Bell

BJJ is what the Kodokan focused on back in the 50's era and in their opinions, quite limited.

Interesting! In that it doesn't have as much in the way of stand-up throws?

D

darkdragoon

True, BJJ eschews many of the usual judo throws for double legs etc.

B

Beam

Originally posted by darkdragoon

True, BJJ eschews many of the usual judo throws for double legs etc.

It is difficult to do Judo throws against someone who squats low and stiff arms (a posture frequently seen by BJJ practicioners doing stand-up). You have to realize that Judo rules consider this "defensive Judo" which is basically a stalling penalty if you don't attack within a few seconds. It is much easier to throw someone who has a more upright posture that is typical in Japanese style of Judo (as opposed to European styles which are more unorthodox). Judo throws work best against an opponent also trying to do Judo throws against you.

Having just said that, Judo throws can be very effective, but they require a greater level of skill than double legs, single legs, pulling to guard, etc (at least in my opinion for what little it is worth).

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Beam

Having just said that, Judo throws can be very effective, but they require a greater level of skill than double legs, single legs, pulling to guard, etc (at least in my opinion for what little it is worth).

Not to be argumentative (really, I mean it), but I know quite a few wrestlers that would disagree about the skill level involved in doing a good double leg. If you mean that kind of half-assed dive in followed by flopping back to guard, then I agree whole-heartedly with you.

D

darkdragoon

Originally posted by Beam

It is difficult to do Judo throws against someone who squats low and stiff arms (a posture frequently seen by BJJ practicioners doing stand-up). You have to realize that Judo rules consider this "defensive Judo" which is basically a stalling penalty if you don't attack within a few seconds. It is much easier to throw someone who has a more upright posture that is typical in Japanese style of Judo (as opposed to European styles which are more unorthodox). Judo throws work best against an opponent also trying to do Judo throws against you.

I hope your definition of more skill simply isn't relying on the gi grips. IMO the no-gi versions of throws take a little more skill.