Journey to a new style...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ahhh yep I see, cheers for that, makes sense! Yeah I love close up hook kicks :)
If it helps, think of the hook as a more narrowed elliptical motion where the peak of the ellipse sharply starts the other side of the arc. Does that make sense?
A wheel is more oval in geometry.
A hook moves the person more forward or toward you and a wheel moves them perpendicular away from you.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
We also call it ushiro mawashi geri although the proper spelling is 'keri' but pronounced 'geri'. Geri in Japan does mean diarrhea so I hope we are talking about kicking and not loose stools ;).
Would certainly bring a whole new meaning to yoko geri XD

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it helps, think of the hook as a more narrowed elliptical motion where the peak of the ellipse sharply starts the other side of the arc. Does that make sense?
A wheel is more oval in geometry.
A hook moves the person more forward or toward you and a wheel moves them perpendicular away from you.
Yeah that's a great explanation, makes alot of sense, cheers :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yoga + karate... I call it... yogarate :). Kyokushin meditation and Kyokushin yoga! Hahaha... imagine that...

Did a session alternating between sun salutations, and ido geiko combinations.

I tell ya what, they compliment each other greatly.. everything certainly felt alot more connected and flowed better during the ido geiko. More relaxed and in unison. Even tried doing the ido geiko with the opposite side of the body than normal and it flowed seamlessly.
2186c69408029cfeb766801d6973a958.jpg
5f64b34567f3776b97c0c5bf0b809e7e.jpg
50fd966711bfb4e8d6893322a86c58de.jpg
e792c78287b61f50a224ff6157149591.jpg

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Popped into a new dojo tonight to watch! Was Goju Ryu, and was very cool to see! Quite different in flavour from the Shotokan style from last year!

The class did warmup exercises, then went through kata Gekisai Ichi. They then spent ages doing bunkai practice, breaking up the aspects of the kata, really awesome to see, as I've never done a great deal of bunkai! And it was great to see the instructor (who was very very attentive to all the students and very instructive) really trying to get the students to explore for themselves what the movements could be. She really encouraged them to think outside the box, and really see what actually works. She then went through what it could be, but was great seeing her encourage first just exploring it for themselves before explaining. And they spent alot of time on this too.

They then finished up with about 15 minutes of kumite, just very slow so they can really work on actually seeing the openings, moving off line, but I've never really seen sparring like this before. It was so different, it's hard to explain, but there was a lot more flow to it. Like there was no defined start or endpoint for movements, just a continuous flow and it was really fluid. The instructor used a lot of open hands, and did alot more circular stuff, haito uchi etc. And she encouraged them to use muchimi, which as I understand is more sticky, heavy, flowy way of generating power, rather than 0-100 exploding.

There were about six students training, a Shodan and mostly green belts (unsure what this equates to in Goju). I wouldn't say it was a super intense class at all like others I've tried, but it was fascinating, and it's something I'd love to explore. They offer a two week trial so I'll be in next Wednesday, to give it good go :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Popped into a new dojo tonight to watch! Was Goju Ryu, and was very cool to see! Quite different in flavour from the Shotokan style from last year!

The class did warmup exercises, then went through kata Gekisai Ichi. They then spent ages doing bunkai practice, breaking up the aspects of the kata, really awesome to see, as I've never done a great deal of bunkai! And it was great to see the instructor (who was very very attentive to all the students and very instructive) really trying to get the students to explore for themselves what the movements could be. She really encouraged them to think outside the box, and really see what actually works. She then went through what it could be, but was great seeing her encourage first just exploring it for themselves before explaining. And they spent alot of time on this too.

They then finished up with about 15 minutes of kumite, just very slow so they can really work on actually seeing the openings, moving off line, but I've never really seen sparring like this before. It was so different, it's hard to explain, but there was a lot more flow to it. Like there was no defined start or endpoint for movements, just a continuous flow and it was really fluid. The instructor used a lot of open hands, and did alot more circular stuff, haito uchi etc. And she encouraged them to use muchimi, which as I understand is more sticky, heavy, flowy way of generating power, rather than 0-100 exploding.

There were about six students training, a Shodan and mostly green belts (unsure what this equates to in Goju). I wouldn't say it was a super intense class at all like others I've tried, but it was fascinating, and it's something I'd love to explore. They offer a two week trial so I'll be in next Wednesday, to give it good go :)
I'll be interested in hearing more about this particular one. I've had some interest in Goju for a while, but never got around to investigating.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll be interested in hearing more about this particular one. I've had some interest in Goju for a while, but never got around to investigating.
Yeah I'm interested to see how it will go. Have never seen straight-up (or should that be... circular.... up......) Goju in the flesh. But I liked the principles she was trying to teach.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I'm interested to see how it will go. Have never seen straight-up (or should that be... circular.... up......) Goju in the flesh. But I liked the principles she was trying to teach.
Very interesting Simon. Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wellity! Had my first class tonight at the Goju ryu dojo, it was awesome, really enjoyed it!

It was a different instructor this time, but he had planned prior to have the Sempai take class this time. Sensei still gave input on the side the whole time.

Started off with warmups and a few different exercises- lunges + w/twist, dead bug, wall sits + w/mae geri.

Then they extended a rope across the room, and we did a side plank and yoko geri (side kick) under and over, step up mawashi geri over rope, ducking/weaving under, ducking then cross + backfist.

Then worked on blocks with a partner, but we did something I thought was cool. We used the hand already up as a deflection then the blocking hand takes over (did jodan uke, chudan uchi uke, gedan barai). Then did some footwork with it, stepping off centre as you block. I'd never used the other hand as a deflection before like that (apart from application for mawashi uke), and as we drilled it I could feel it flowing more smoothly as I went.

THEN! Something I'd never done before... Sticky hands! Such a cool practice, and mainly involved keeping our hands touching, and trying to tap the person on the shoulder, and trying stop the other person from doing it. I guess it was working on sensitivity and feeling, using touch to read movement. It was hard to not tense up haha, but they said to keep arms, shoulders and hands relaxed. Then did it in shiko dachi and kneeling too. THEN we did it with eyes closed which was challenging, but very educational!

We then did some slow-paced sparring- one side attacking the other defending, only hands, only feet (defending with legs only too which I'd never done before), then both, then freestyle. They emphasised flowing movement, being relaxed, deflections and stepping off centre.

Finished with lots glute work on all fours. Increeedibly challenging and hard work haha..

The sensei was very attentive, had a good sense of humour, and was constantly checking with me to stop if I need to (as I'd told him about my pelvic condition). He still pushed us hard but acknowledged injuries people had. He came from Shotokan, and he said it was very hard style like Kyokushin. His transition to Goju was challenging, as he had alot of new ways of moving and so on to learn.

He didn't see the need to destroy people in training, and said their Goju gradings are tough, but people are more sore afterwards from muscular fatigue but never injured.

I could definitely see myself training here :)

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wellity! Had my first class tonight at the Goju ryu dojo, it was awesome, really enjoyed it!

It was a different instructor this time, but he had planned prior to have the Sempai take class this time. Sensei still gave input on the side the whole time.

Started off with warmups and a few different exercises- lunges + w/twist, dead bug, wall sits + w/mae geri.

Then they extended a rope across the room, and we did a side plank and yoko geri (side kick) under and over, step up mawashi geri over rope, ducking/weaving under, ducking then cross + backfist.

Then worked on blocks with a partner, but we did something I thought was cool. We used the hand already up as a deflection then the blocking hand takes over (did jodan uke, chudan uchi uke, gedan barai). Then did some footwork with it, stepping off centre as you block. I'd never used the other hand as a deflection before like that (apart from application for mawashi uke), and as we drilled it I could feel it flowing more smoothly as I went.

THEN! Something I'd never done before... Sticky hands! Such a cool practice, and mainly involved keeping our hands touching, and trying to tap the person on the shoulder, and trying stop the other person from doing it. I guess it was working on sensitivity and feeling, using touch to read movement. It was hard to not tense up haha, but they said to keep arms, shoulders and hands relaxed. Then did it in shiko dachi and kneeling too. THEN we did it with eyes closed which was challenging, but very educational!

We then did some slow-paced sparring- one side attacking the other defending, only hands, only feet (defending with legs only too which I'd never done before), then both, then freestyle. They emphasised flowing movement, being relaxed, deflections and stepping off centre.

Finished with lots glute work on all fours. Increeedibly challenging and hard work haha..

The sensei was very attentive, had a good sense of humour, and was constantly checking with me to stop if I need to (as I'd told him about my pelvic condition). He still pushed us hard but acknowledged injuries people had. He came from Shotokan, and he said it was very hard style like Kyokushin. His transition to Goju was challenging, as he had alot of new ways of moving and so on to learn.

He didn't see the need to destroy people in training, and said their Goju gradings are tough, but people are more sore afterwards from muscular fatigue but never injured.

Sounds like a great first date ;) .

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
OH and in sparring they also encouraged us to use elbows, tetsui (hammerfist), uraken (backfist) etc as well! That was also something new to me, and alot of fun exploring

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Second class was a morning one, and an hour instead of 1.5hours.

After warmups and exercises, did a big kihon session, which I LOVE. I know not everyone is a fan of standing in line and doing kihon, some find it boring, but there's something magical about it to me. Perhaps from Kyokushin days when we all did it together, the roars of kiais, sweat everywhere, and just the whole atmosphere was electric as we did basic techniques. That stuck with me.

Had slight variations in their blocks and some new ones which fascinated me. I've noticed that their circular stuff is more tightknit and compact of a circle, whereas in Kyokushin all our stuff was really quite large circles (eg mawashi uke).

And I love their uraken ganmen uchi. They sort of bring the elbow up and drop it forward, and it is much more whip-like or wave-like than I've done before.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well that's it for my 2 week trial! I really really enjoyed it!

The last two classes we did padwork combos, focusing on closing the distance and entering in more and more, and eventually into a clinch with knees etc. Really about jamming or "crashing" into them to disrupt their hook punch attacks.

Also did stick kumite! That was a really new experience for me haha, have never wielded a stick before, then we tried with two sticks each. So many different things to be aware of, and obviously the distance between people is greater.

We also worked on some Goju kata that I'd never done. Their Taikyoku katas are different to the usual, it's still the same 'H' or 'I' pattern, but they have Taikyoku Jodan, Chudan, Gedan, Kake uke, and Mawashi uke versions. Quite liked them, something I'm going to practice. Then did Gekisai Ichi which I knew but quite enjoyed the variations and how they did it.

All in all a very friendly club, attentive, train hard and push you hard, but aren't a fan of destroying you, made sure to take injuries and safety into account, and really great facilities and centre that they operate in too. Still had a traditional feel and practice to it which I really dig, but were still casual enough to not have it feel too overwhelmingly serious. I actually learned quite alot in this short two weeks!

They did emphasize that Goju is close quarters/range, and pretty much everything that I've ever read about the differences between Goju ryu and Shotokan are actually pretty spot on from my experience of these last two clubs I've tried. I'm still really drawn to the Shotokan style, love the big dynamic, powerful moves, speed, crispness... but also appreciate the Goju emphasis on circular movements, deflections, close-in, soft/hard balance. Just unsure how my body would hold up to a Shotokan-type style, but only time and practice will tell.

There are few others on my list I wanted to try out (I know, I've really drawn it out, but I have a process, and I'm trusting and following it ;) ), so stay tuned! It won't be much longer I hope till I've found my place.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The last two classes we did padwork combos, focusing on closing the distance and entering in more and more, and eventually into a clinch with knees etc. Really about jamming or "crashing" into them to disrupt their hook punch attacks.

Also did stick kumite! That was a really new experience for me haha, have never wielded a stick before, then we tried with two sticks each. So many different things to be aware of, and obviously the distance between people is greater.

We also worked on some Goju kata that I'd never done. Their Taikyoku katas are different to the usual, it's still the same 'H' or 'I' pattern, but they have Taikyoku Jodan, Chudan, Gedan, Kake uke, and Mawashi uke versions. Quite liked them, something I'm going to practice. Then did Gekisai Ichi which I knew but quite enjoyed the variations and how they did it.

All in all a very friendly club, attentive, train hard and push you hard, but aren't a fan of destroying you, made sure to take injuries and safety into account, and really great facilities and centre that they operate in too. Still had a traditional feel and practice to it which I really dig, but were still casual enough to not have it feel too overwhelmingly serious. I actually learned quite alot in this short two weeks!

They did emphasize that Goju is close quarters/range, and pretty much everything that I've ever read about the differences between Goju ryu and Shotokan are actually pretty spot on from my experience of these last two clubs I've tried. I'm still really drawn to the Shotokan style, love the big dynamic, powerful moves, speed, crispness... but also appreciate the Goju emphasis on circular movements, deflections, close-in, soft/hard balance. Just unsure how my body would hold up to a Shotokan-type style, but only time and practice will tell.

There are few others on my list I wanted to try out (I know, I've really drawn it out, but I have a process, and I'm trusting and following it ;) ), so stay tuned! It won't be much longer I hope till I've found my place.
Sounds like a great place. Is it at the top of the list at this point?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That sounds like a pretty extensive list of stuff to get through in one class - you guys must have been moving the whole time. Fun!

Some of that sounds like exercises often seen in NGA dojos (at least, the ones I've been in). I do wonder how much of that came from Goju, since the person who brought NGA to the US was also ranked in Goju.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a great place. Is it at the top of the list at this point?
It's definitely up there for sure! The Shotokan place, this one, and the first style I tried (the Aiki-karate one) are up there, the others I didn't feel as close to.

It was also cool I found out that the two people who run the dojo (and there other one an hour away) solely do only this as their work. They aren't really big on much crazy marketing etc, and on my last session as I thanked the instructor for this two week trial she didn't try to pressure me to join up or anything at all, said they've loved having me there with them, and that I know where they are if I want to train.

It'll be really hard after I've tried all the ones I want to, to then decide which out of them to commit to. Of course I'll overthink it, but am very excited just to start a journey in one. Well I guess this is still part of that journey too huh..

Last edited:
OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That sounds like a pretty extensive list of stuff to get through in one class - you guys must have been moving the whole time. Fun!

Some of that sounds like exercises often seen in NGA dojos (at least, the ones I've been in). I do wonder how much of that came from Goju, since the person who brought NGA to the US was also ranked in Goju.

Ah yeah haha, was a good hour and a half of training (actually went a little over), the warmup/exercise stuff wasn't long, but the three main bits of blocking drills, sticky hands and sparring were much more extensively focused on.

Oh really that's fascinating, yeah it is interesting those crossovers! It was a much more relaxed and flowy style... and I rather enjoyed the change of emphasis to what I'm used to.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah yeah haha, was a good hour and a half of training (actually went a little over), the warmup/exercise stuff wasn't long, but the three main bits of blocking drills, sticky hands and sparring were much more extensively focused on.

Oh really that's fascinating, yeah it is interesting those crossovers! It was a much more relaxed and flowy style... and I rather enjoyed the change of emphasis to what I'm used to.
The more I learn about Goju, the more sense it makes that Bowe was drawn to NGA.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I am sure you know, Goju Ryu, is as close to Kyokushin as any of the Okinawan karate systems go. Although from practical experience, Kyokushin practitioners usually put too much "Go" and not enough "Ju".

Definitely sounds like a good club to train in. Look forward to hearing more about your journey and hopefully you will have found a new 'home'.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am sure you know, Goju Ryu, is as close to Kyokushin as any of the Okinawan karate systems go. Although from practical experience, Kyokushin practitioners usually put too much "Go" and not enough "Ju".

Definitely sounds like a good club to train in. Look forward to hearing more about your journey and hopefully you will have found a new 'home'.

Yeah for sure, it was great fun training there. And yes, one thing I need to learn and incorporate more is more "Ju"! Will keep you posted :)

Latest Discussions