John Hughes, 59.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow. I am suddenly very sad.

I can remember how some critics made light of his work because so much of it was about kids and teenagers, but IMO, he had a rare genius for showing the happier side of the human condition. Every one of his films cheered me and warmed me. Some of them encouraged me through teenage rough periods.

Rest in peace, Mr. Hughes.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Growing up as a teen in the '80's...and being a bit of an outsider/weirdo myself...his movies were very influential to me. He will be missed. Thanks for all the great moments.

RIP

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hughes work wasn't of course just about teens and coming of age stories... but also about adults striving in their own little worlds and nucleus' ... Uncle Buck, Planes Trains & Automobiles, Dutch... also well loved for Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Home Alone 2, as well as Nat. Lampoon's Christmas Vacation...to name a few.

The man was a genius in writing, directing ... there's a BIG hole in Hollywood right now that's going to be hard to fill.

RIP Mr. Hughes.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hughes work wasn't of course just about teens and coming of age stories... but also about adults striving in their own little worlds and nucleus' ... Uncle Buck, Planes Trains & Automobiles, Dutch... also well loved for Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Home Alone 2, as well as Nat. Lampoon's Christmas Vacation...to name a few.

The man was a genius in writing, directing ... there's a BIG hole in Hollywood right now that's going to be hard to fill.

RIP Mr. Hughes.

Absolutely!
Johns death blindsided me. I had the priviledge/honor of working with him on 2 projects. Another good guy down.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
His work spoke volumes to me.

I was a sophomore or junior in high school when The Breakfast Club came out...and the movie was filmed at a Chicagoland high school that was about 20 minutes away from me. I don't think I've ever seen a movie speak to me so loudly (before or since).

Now as an adult, I appreciate his movies because they told genuine, engaging stories. He didn't need a lot of sex sex or shocking behaviour to prop up what he was trying to say.

I'll miss him a lot.

Latest Discussions