"Jitsu/Jutsu"

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That is actually backward. "Jitsu" was how it used to be romanized until the late 50's, when the romanization system was changed. "jutsu" is now the correct romanization, but "jitsu" is still used in a lot of cases because of its earlier general use, or people just not bothering to learn any better. You are right in that "jutsu" is correct.
If we're talking about the general term, I get it. But just for the sake of conversation, where we're talking about names of systems, what is correct is whatever the convention is within that system. isn't it? I mean, to suggest that jiu-jitsu is incorrect is silly. It's a label. Is Stephen correct or Steven? Well, I'd say that the answer to that question is, however I choose to spell it is correct (or however my parents chose to...)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Frankly (IMO) after reading this entire post it was done on 09-19-2006 at 07:50 AM when Don posted this.

Your source is wrong. Trust me, I know.

Jutsu has always been jutsu in Japanese. But different areas have different stresses in pronunciation. In many places, a hard consanant almost drowns out the "u" sound that follows it. So one way of writing it would be J'tsu and sometimes as Jitsu.

But there is a "jitsu" in Japanese. So there is the chance that someone could translate something back into Japanese from English and cause problems. Hence I and others say that "jitsu" is wrong because it can cause confusion.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
術 Jutsu (art, techniques)

[SIZE=+1]実 [/SIZE]Jitsu (truth, reality) [SIZE=+1]

[/SIZE]

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor