Jackie Chan

P

phlux

Jackie Chan is not a sellout in the sense of "giving up the goose on martial arts for money" in that he is/was/will be one of the finest movers around.

Jackie gives a great deal to the world rather than trying to just use something to make money. He gives inspiration and enlightenment on what can be possible with regards to movement, agility and awareness.

Even though the scenes are choreographed - there is still tremendous skill involvbved with being able to execute the movements he is doing. There is a command of balance and subtle manipulations of dexterity that are just absolutley perfect.

He has had some really crappy movies - but the is always at least some movements in every single movie that make me go "wow".

it his awareness of his body and his ability to move it in anyway he wants that is what people should learn from him. He shows lack of limitation in movement.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I watched a show called "The Vampire Effect" a.k.a. "The Twins Effect" tonight:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0351887/

It had Jackie Chan in an extended cameo, though it was principally a vehicle for the Cantonese pop due Twins. (They're making a sequel.) It was an insanely bad film--not so bad that it's good, not even so bad that it's bad, but so bad that it's a crime against humanity.

Anyone know why Jackie Chan would take a gig like this? A cameo in pop stars' movie ad? He did do some fighting and some slapstick stunts.

2fisted

kilo said:
I have much respect for Jackie Chan I know I cant do half of the things he does. As for selling out I think he makes movies that mabe he enjoys and thinks other people will like.

Ditto. Yeah his newer movies are cheesier, but nowadays you can't make another Dragon Fist or Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin and expect Joe and Jane Public to line up at the theatre (even though I would gladly camp out for tickets if he did). :)

Plus JC is way more interested nowadays in wild stunts, etc than he is in being a kungfu bad@$$.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Quick Note on WalMart, I picked up Revenge ofthe Pink Panther for $5.50
As for JC, some of his movies are wildly entertaining. I personally enjoyed the Shanhai movies. The thing most people tend to forget about JC is that he is a trained actor first and foremost. Martial Arts is secondary for him, it was a vehicle that allowed him to stay consistantly working. By straying some from the pure Kung Fu scene, he is being true to himself and his roots. He may go back that way if his fans keep drifting though. An interesting thing to add to this would be that Jet Li is the opposite, he is a martial artist first and an actor second.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to get off topic, but I'm a huge Pink Panther fan--how's the DVD (I assume that's what it is)? Decent extras? At that price I'd want to get them.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've always enjoyed JC's films both good and bad. One unusual film (for JC) was "The Prisoner" (???) where both he and his life long friend Sammo starred. While not in his usual slap-stick comedy style it did have it's moments.
Chan will probably be remembered most for his stunts but he has made a contribution to MA in effect that people are inspired to look into or study because of him. He continues the MA in films tradition for American audiences that was inspired (in part) by Bruce Lee. Rumble in the Bronx is a good example of his break-through in the States.
I find it amusing that still no life-insurance company will underwrite the man.
Just too ballsy for their taste I guess.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can enjoy the new movies for there humor not there Fight scenes. THe old onees well I can only watch some many 20 minute fights before I get bored. Jackie Chan had long fight scenes but they where funny so I liked them though. I like almost all of the Jackie Chan movies for one reason or another.

G

Gary Crawford

I saw an interview with JC on television last year where he stated that he makes two types of movies,One for the states(more comedy included),the other for the chinese audiences(more Kung Fu orented).The interviewer asked what style he practiced,he said "I call it choppy souy!"

L

Littledragon

TallAdam85 said:
Ok is it just me or does it seem more and more hard to have respect for jackie chan The last few movies he had where bad I did not like them The new he has coming out looks almost like the old one the tuxiedo and his cartoon is just getting dume
does anyone else think he is selling out on real martial art moves to make money?
Don't just regard these crapy films he is making but remember the brilliant films he made back in the day in Hong Kong. Remember his fight scene with him and Benny "The Jet" Urquidez is hailed as the second best martial art fight scene ever behind Bruce Lee vs. Chuck Norris. Also don't forget his classic masterpieces such as Drunken Master, Snake In The Eagles Shadow, The Young Master, Dragons Forver, Police Story, Project A, Wheels on Meals, etc. You can you not have respect for a man who redifined action and martial art movies for ever. Many are focusing on his current projects which to be honest are not that great but please never forget what he has accomplished as a martial artist and action super star. Once you look back on his career never again will you say you are loosing respect for him. Remember every movie he risked his LIFE yes his own God granted LIFE just to please and entertain people like us.
:asian:

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was an insanely bad film--not so bad that it's good, not even so bad that it's bad, but so bad that it's a crime against humanity.
:roflmao:

That's bad!

I am a big JC fan. I don't watch him and think, "Wow, that was a cool technique, I want to learn that," but "WOW! HEY! I can't believe he just did that!!!!"

And I love the humor he gives to his films. For the most part his protagonists are nice guys who get involved in a bigger scheme that sweeps them up - he doesn't play these glorious, shining heros who are perfect. I like that.

Some of his movies are silly. Some I was not crazy about at all. I think he keeps doing it because it's what he does. He makes movies.

L

Littledragon

Jackie Chan in my opinion is one of the most talented martial artist and action stars we have ever seen.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also consider that Jackie has achieved ten times (or more) the amount of (living) success that Bruce Lee did when he was alive. This is speaking strictly of course as far as actors and their acting in movies are concerned.
As Martial Artists ... well, perhaps renting/buying this movie might answer a number of questions... it's also wildly entertaining and educational.

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
MACaver said:
Also consider that Jackie has achieved ten times (or more) the amount of (living) success that Bruce Lee did when he was alive. This is speaking strictly of course as far as actors and their acting in movies are concerned.
As Martial Artists ... well, perhaps renting/buying this movie might answer a number of questions... it's also wildly entertaining and educational.
Mmm, I never knew that! Cheers!
:whip:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never quite thought of it that way, but as an actor I guess he is rather more successful!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the news again for speaking out on Asian vs. American movies:
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/051126/ap/d8e4cas80.html

Action star Jackie Chan has a message for Asia's film industry: Unite against American movies or risk losing your culture.

Chan has starred in a string of Hollywood blockbusters, including "Rush Hour" and its sequel, and plans to start shooting "Rush Hour 3" soon.

But he told The Times of India that that such movies erode the culture of Asian countries, saying "Asians should unite against American cinema." "Why do we need to ape their culture," Chan reportedly said.

Latest Discussions