Jack Slack's Ringcraft

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jack is a good writer, great voice on videos, too.

To me, stance is the most important basic of striking, (akin to "base" in grappling, at least as I understand it) it is the foundation on which everything is built in attacking an enemy.

The three initiatives - first and foremost, in my humble opinion, is the lead. But it's twin sister is the simultaneous counter, which is a lead in and of itself."'When he moves you move". I think every fighter in striking arts should train this. It's the most important thing I was ever taught in any form of Martial Arts concerning fighting.

Delayed counters are great, I use them a lot, but they are one of many sauces to spice the meal.

I haven't watched the McGregor clip yet.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I only liked the first video about the value of the stance. Probably because me and the other instructor preach the value of the stance in every class. The other is videos were a hit and miss for me some of the things that they said didn't apply to the fighting system that I study. I think that Kung Fu in general creates a lot of exceptions. When someone says that it's not possible, then someone in kung fu will show that it is.

Other than that thanks for the clips.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The art of the stance:
Aw, man. :(

At first I thought it was going to be about this guy:
Jack Slack – ‘The Norfolk Butcher’

jack-slack-boxer.jpg

Can I assume that the youtuber is offering an homage?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Aw, man. :(

At first I thought it was going to be about this guy:
Jack Slack – ‘The Norfolk Butcher’

jack-slack-boxer.jpg

Can I assume that the youtuber is offering an homage?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Yeah, I'm pretty certain that "Jack Slack" is a pseudonym paying tribute to the historical boxer.

If you haven't read his articles or watched his other videos, you really should. He's one of the most educated and thoughtful fight analysts out there.