Youtube Martial Arts Channels

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
anyone here have their own MA Youtube channel?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been thinking about it by I feel like I am not experienced enough to do that. I don't want to be showing people things I could be doing wrong then they imitate what they see.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been thinking about it by I feel like I am not experienced enough to do that. I don't want to be showing people things I could be doing wrong then they imitate what they see.

I think you should go for it. Just make a disclaimer, taht you are not an instructor, a master, or the person watching the video's instructor. See what I did there @Bill Mattocks ;).I like to watch other MA do things, I don't care how "right" they are. There's plenty of different ways to do things, otherwise there would only be one martial art.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, though the public vids are mostly sparring footage, I have private vids on the channel for reference for my students.
Really cool stuff, great videos!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you should go for it. Just make a disclaimer, taht you are not an instructor, a master, or the person watching the video's instructor. See what I did there @Bill Mattocks ;).I like to watch other MA do things, I don't care how "right" they are. There's plenty of different ways to do things, otherwise there would only be one martial art.

Sure, no problem. Hey, I have a few videos up, but they have private links; if a person isn't given the link to click on, they can't find it. Just a choice I've made.

Let me use an analogy. In my copious spare time, I like to build vacuum tube amplifiers. These require something called a 'schematic' which is a kind of pictorial recipe which describes how a given amplifier is to be built. I often Google for amplifier schematics using a set of vacuum tubes I happen to have. Sometimes I build amplifiers using those schematics.

Generally, all goes well. But once or twice, I've built amplifiers that have blown up, even caught fire. After rechecking my work to ensure I followed the schematic correctly, I reached out to the person who put the schematic online. Usually, I get no response. But once, a fellow wrote back to me, explaining that his design never worked, and in fact caught fire.

This is what happens when you find something on the interwebs and decide to do what you see.

Make sense? I don't want to spread crap, and I know a lot of what I think is right is probably crap, so I don't put it online as if it were something other people should be doing. Even if I am convinced my master move is amazingly good, I might not know as much as I think I do.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure, no problem. Hey, I have a few videos up, but they have private links; if a person isn't given the link to click on, they can't find it. Just a choice I've made.

Let me use an analogy. In my copious spare time, I like to build vacuum tube amplifiers. These require something called a 'schematic' which is a kind of pictorial recipe which describes how a given amplifier is to be built. I often Google for amplifier schematics using a set of vacuum tubes I happen to have. Sometimes I build amplifiers using those schematics.

Generally, all goes well. But once or twice, I've built amplifiers that have blown up, even caught fire. After rechecking my work to ensure I followed the schematic correctly, I reached out to the person who put the schematic online. Usually, I get no response. But once, a fellow wrote back to me, explaining that his design never worked, and in fact caught fire.

This is what happens when you find something on the interwebs and decide to do what you see.

Make sense? I don't want to spread crap, and I know a lot of what I think is right is probably crap, so I don't put it online as if it were something other people should be doing. Even if I am convinced my master move is amazingly good, I might not know as much as I think I do.

I've see a couple of your Kata videos and the video where you are demonstrating how you, specifically, hit a bag. Not once did I think " this video is crap," I actually thought it was pretty awesome and a different way/style of doing things that I, as well as the students in my class do.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've see a couple of your Kata videos and the video where you are demonstrating how you, specifically, hit a bag. Not once did I think " this video is crap," I actually thought it was pretty awesome and a different way/style of doing things that I, as well as the students in my class do.

Thanks! I'm just saying - people will emulate what they see. Mine are fortunately limited to just punching a bag (I also have some examples of kata). I don't post anything about self-defense techniques or whatnot that might get someone hurt. ;)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bill never comes off as "THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE" His videos are always representative of how he does a technique from his understanding. I prefer videos like that because it gives some insight into the person.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a channel, but I wouldn't call it a MA channel. It's got car stuff, TKD stuff, SCUBA stuff, shooting stuff...
There is even one video combing SCUBA and MA... poomsae at 40'...
We were waiting for the third member of our team to finish gearing up and jump off the pier. So I did poomsae... :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm just saying - people will emulate what they see. Mine are fortunately limited to just punching a bag (I also have some examples of kata). I don't post anything about self-defense techniques or whatnot that might get someone hurt. ;)
I actually really like what you do in your videos. Regarding your bag punching videos, you explain as you go through the reason behind it and don't make it seem like it is how punching should be done. Your katas are also very good, at a level that putting them online shouldn't hurt someone looking for it more than the other stuff out there. Regarding SD techniques, I feel like with your level of both skill with the material and skill with explaining what you are doing/why it would not hurt people to watch it. Currently the only youtube SD channel that I am willing to promote is master wongs, but if you made one (as long as there was no sudden change in attitude that magically occurred from teaching) I'm sure I would recommend it over master wongs.

Last edited:
OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm actually a huge fan of what you do in your videos. Regarding your bag punching videos, you explain as you go through the reason behind it and don't make it seem like it is how punching should be done. Your katas are also very good, at a level that putting them online shouldn't hurt someone looking for it more than the other stuff out there. Regarding SD techniques, I feel like with your level of both skill with the material and skill with explaining what you are doing/why it would not hurt people to watch it. Currently the only youtube SD channel that I am willing to promote is master wongs, but if you made one (as long as there was no sudden change in attitude that magically occurred from teaching) I'm sure I would recommend it over master wongs.

Master Wong as in the Wing Chun guy?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Master Wong as in the Wing Chun guy?
Yup. I don't practice Wing Chun, but what he does seems really practical to me. I watch them when I am bored, and if someone who has a background in martial arts mentions that he is looking at YT videos about self-defense (happens way more often than it should), and don't want to actually practice at a school, I suggest Master Wong so they're not looking at bad SD.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yup. I don't practice Wing Chun, but what he does seems really practical to me. I watch them when I am bored, and if someone who has a background in martial arts mentions that he is looking at YT videos about self-defense (happens way more often than it should), and don't want to actually practice at a school, I suggest Master Wong so they're not looking at bad SD.

I want to know who he gets his cocaine from.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i have one too (linked in my signature), but its more like a personal homepage with different hobbies and the martial arts videos are of training clips just for entertainment, not meant to be instructional.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I always wanted to play around with tubes, but I never had the time, money, nor patience. Vinyl and everything that goes with it took all that up. Then I had kids. My system (Bryston integrated amp, Audio Physic speakers, Rega DAC, and Pro-Ject TT) sit idly, except for when my 3 and 5 year old daughters want to have one of their dance parties.

Sitting down and listening to an album used to be a past time for me. Now, it's telling my kids to stop doing things, being their servant and getting to the dojo whenever I can.

Latest Discussions