Jack Reacher books

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I find something interesting about the Reacher novels, which myself and some friends just love. Yes, they're kind of the same - but you can read them again and still be wildly entertained. And maybe that's because they are pretty much the same....I don't know, me and the boys discuss this all the time.

But reading your post made me order one I had read and gave to someone. "Worth Dying For" can't wait to read it again! I think it was my favorite of all of them. I think.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find something interesting about the Reacher novels, which myself and some friends just love. Yes, they're kind of the same - but you can read them again and still be wildly entertained. And maybe that's because they are pretty much the same....I don't know, me and the boys discuss this all the time.

But reading your post made me order one I had read and gave to someone. "Worth Dying For" can't wait to read it again! I think it was my favorite of all of them. I think.
I think I'm going to read persuader next I've heard a lot of good things about that one

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah I don't mind things being similar but I'm a guy who can movies hundreds of times and not be bored by it. I like reading mystery stuff back because now you know how it ends you can pick up the clever tricks easier and appreciate it more.

One thing I'd like to see is reacher in today's world something similar to skyfall. A reacher who's lost a step and not as good as he was and has to survive in today's climate. Not permanently but just one book

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Decided to purchase echo burning today as it's the one after the visitor liking it so far love reacher breaking some jerks nose with a head butt and breaking his finger then sneaking out his motel when it turns out he's a cop lol then him breaking down everything that could potentially happen if he sticks around lol

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey @Buka since you seem to be the biggest fan of the books on here thought I'd ask you what're the prequel books like. The ones like night school, the affair etc set in his army days. Personally I haven't those yet but I like the current modern setting where he's drifting does the prequels still have the ssme feeling to it

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know, bro, I constantly get all the Reacher books mixed up. I read a lot, probably too much, and don't remember titles that well.

The first Reacher book I read - he was still in the army. I liked it a lot. Then, I bought a bunch of them. At first, I was disappointed that he was no longer in the service, but that quickly passed. Man, I loved the character travelling the way he does, just helping everyone he meets.

I looked up The Affair, to see which one it was. I liked that one, a whole lot, but then, I pretty much like anything with Reacher. There have been a couple of clunkers, but I don't remember which ones. But I liked The Affair. I didn't care much for Night School, but I don't remember why.

A couple years ago, in the latest Reacher book at that time - Reacher got a headache, there was something wrong. Then the news comes out that Lee Child was going to kill Reacher off. Child had planned to write a half dozen books with Reacher. Next thing you know, he had written a boot load. He was going to kill him off as he didn't want to write him any more. Man, we were up in arms. We were pissed. So....a dozen of us from around the country wrote Lee Child. We told him not to kill him off, do the closest thing to that.....marry him off and have him settle down. THEN, five years from now if you feel like bringing him back, have his family killed and have Reacher go nuts and get the killers.

Seemed to have worked. He didn't kill Reacher off, thankfully.

A few years back, a book came out called FaceOff. It was all the current popular fiction heroes teamed up in short stories by the authors who wrote them. Man, it was dreadful. Really bad. Should've been great, but it was just plain awful. I forget who was teamed up with Reacher. And I'm glad I forgot, that's how bad that book was.

Anyway, any time a Reacher book comes out in paperback, I buy it. Like to read them. Even if they aren't great, I don't care. I wish I had every one in the house, I'd reread them all again right now. But I give them away, my house is way too small to keep books.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, bro, I constantly get all the Reacher books mixed up. I read a lot, probably too much, and don't remember titles that well.

The first Reacher book I read - he was still in the army. I liked it a lot. Then, I bought a bunch of them. At first, I was disappointed that he was no longer in the service, but that quickly passed. Man, I loved the character travelling the way he does, just helping everyone he meets.

I looked up The Affair, to see which one it was. I liked that one, a whole lot, but then, I pretty much like anything with Reacher. There have been a couple of clunkers, but I don't remember which ones. But I liked The Affair. I didn't care much for Night School, but I don't remember why.

A couple years ago, in the latest Reacher book at that time - Reacher got a headache, there was something wrong. Then the news comes out that Lee Child was going to kill Reacher off. Child had planned to write a half dozen books with Reacher. Next thing you know, he had written a boot load. He was going to kill him off as he didn't want to write him any more. Man, we were up in arms. We were pissed. So....a dozen of us from around the country wrote Lee Child. We told him not to kill him off, do the closest thing to that.....marry him off and have him settle down. THEN, five years from now if you feel like bringing him back, have his family killed and have Reacher go nuts and get the killers.

Seemed to have worked. He didn't kill Reacher off, thankfully.

A few years back, a book came out called FaceOff. It was all the current popular fiction heroes teamed up in short stories by the authors who wrote them. Man, it was dreadful. Really bad. Should've been great, but it was just plain awful. I forget who was teamed up with Reacher. And I'm glad I forgot, that's how bad that book was.

Anyway, any time a Reacher book comes out in paperback, I buy it. Like to read them. Even if they aren't great, I don't care. I wish I had every one in the house, I'd reread them all again right now. But I give them away, my house is way too small to keep books.
One thing I noticed from the books. At first I expected them to be basically an action movie with shoot outs and fist fights in every chapter and at first I was a bit disappointed because the action was quite rare but I actually enjoy the books more because of this you know the characters very well and reacher feels more real.

For example I'm reading echo burning now and reacher is refusing to kill a woman's husband who's beating her because he doesn't know her or him. That shows his character most action hero characters wouldn't hesitate to kill when asked

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's another add to my book worm notes (due to recent threads I've decided to do a reaction video of me reading jack reacher lol)

Anyway I'm about 5 chapters into echo burning and this is easily my favourite. It's got good strong characters who are different and feel real and most of the focus is on reacher. I think one of the things I didn't like about the others is sometimes they focused to much on other characters die trying the biggest example it spent to much time with the fbi and not with reacher but this one has the balance right. Plus I feel it's developing his character more showing him interacting with a child etc and it's the first one where he's chosen to help the others he was kind of forced into it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have to keep googling the titles because I forget which ones are which. No matter, though, I pretty much like all of them.

There's a couple of his books that kind of go together, came out one after the other. Set in a cold part of the country in winter. I'll try to remember which two they are - I think they were my favorites.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity just been thinking what book reachers fight style would be. He doesn't seem an expert martial artist but he obviously knows how to fight and he was trained in the army obviously so I'd say if you had to name him a style is say Krav Maga

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity just been thinking what book reachers fight style would be. He doesn't seem an expert martial artist but he obviously knows how to fight and he was trained in the army obviously so I'd say if you had to name him a style is say Krav Maga

Squaddie style.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

They tag him as an "expert in hand to hand combat" from the military. I forget which books.
And then there's this-

"In 61 Hours, it is revealed that decades ago, the US Army ran an experiment on Army brats to try to identify children who did not have a typical fear response. A monster movie was screened on military bases with a secret camera hooked up to capture the children in the audience precisely 18 frames after the monster makes its first appearance. The only one they captured without a fear response? 6-year old Reacher. Lunging TOWARDS the screen. With a switchblade. Which he managed to deploy in 3/4 of a second."

I found that nifty.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
They tag him as an "expert in hand to hand combat" from the military. I forget which books.
And then there's this-

"In 61 Hours, it is revealed that decades ago, the US Army ran an experiment on Army brats to try to identify children who did not have a typical fear response. A monster movie was screened on military bases with a secret camera hooked up to capture the children in the audience precisely 18 frames after the monster makes its first appearance. The only one they captured without a fear response? 6-year old Reacher. Lunging TOWARDS the screen. With a switchblade. Which he managed to deploy in 3/4 of a second."

I found that nifty.
Interesting in echo burning the one I'm reading now he told a story of watching a horror movie with his brother and an alien creature that terrified him for weeks and he couldn't sleep until he got angry at it for making him scared and that's how he learnt to turn fear into aggression

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
And then there's this-

I found that nifty.
Thinking about it reacher has probably trained in pretty much all martial arts. I mean he spent his entire life on different military bases all over the world so he'd probably got some training with soldiers in loads of styles e,g karate in Japan, bjj in Brazil, taekwondo in Korea, sambo in Russia, Krav Maga in Israel. That's what I like to imagine anyway haha hey I'm a book nerd who gets really into the characters I'm reading and I'm loving Jack reacher so much he's my kind of character lol

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just finished echo burning, my favourite so far. Lots of good action and a great story with engaging characters. Loved the shoot out at the end with reacher and the female killer trying to outwit each other. Truly felt like a lethal game of chess. Didn't really like how he just walked away at the end though without saying goodbye. But I guess it suits his character.

Moving onto tripwire now. I know that's before the last one I read but only just got that one recently

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seen about the new one out in November. Looks interesting more about his family past

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Started on tripwire. Good so far. Personally I'd actually like to hear more about his 3 months as a doorman and pool digger just to see how regular days for him would be but oh well. Anyway an intriguing story so far but it's got the main problem I had with die trying, it goes away from reacher to much. I do understand developing other characters but I'm there for reachers character not some broke cinema guy but the hook guys just come in so that's getting a bit more interesting.

On a side note I remember years ago my late instructor said about these books. Now that I'm reading them I can see why they'd appeal to him. I think he thought himself a bit of a reacher type. He was a policeman, a big guy around 6'4 220 pounds, 7th Dan black belt and did a lot of travelling so I think he liked to think himself as reacher (great guy but he did have a very big ego lol)

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I've had a good day start. My neighbour has a second hand book stall outside her house and donates the money to charity. I found 4 readher books 20p each. I got make me, one shot, never go back and the affair

Latest Discussions