I've done it in training, I CAN do it, but I don't

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Today a thought struck me, and it struck pretty hard.
I was having a little "muckyfight" with one of my mates and I noticed how badly I was doing. I was put in holds I could easily break, twist or escape, but i didn't, I don't know why this is. I have done plenty of drills in training and can manipulate a wrist better than a non -MAist, but I didn't.

I decided to ask you fine people: Can you? Does it come naturally to you to do it properly, or does it not?

Thank you.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whitebelt said:
I decided to ask you fine people: Can you? Does it come naturally to you to do it properly, or does it not?

Yes and no - it seems to vary based on the situation. If I feel truly threatened, then yes, it comes naturally; if not, then I find myself not doing things that would be effective, but painful/potentially injurious.

Great question! I look forward to other responses.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It will get better.

I was once in a job that required me to use this stuff. The first couple of times it was not easy eventually it did get more natural. And to be honest I wish I did not have that experience. And uncontrolled situation, even a friendly one, is very different from a controlled one.

I am not advocating going out and looking for people to try this on, just mess around with your friends a little more, keep it friendly, work with different people in your MA school. I use to know a lot of people from different styles and we use to get together about once a week to spar, that helps too.

I believe the thing I read about something becoming habit or natural said you need to do something about 2000 times.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's the distracting pressure of a immediate situation, and the accompanying adrenaline dump.

I'm not quite sure how to prepare for that, perhaps someone else may have some ideas. Due to the nature of my work, I have been in hundreds of real-time situational emergencies where I had to perform some kind of immediate assistance or problem solving under very distracting situations. For me its clamping every iota of panic out of my system. I force all emotions out of my mind and thinking completely logically and methodically. What do I have to do. What am I going to do it.

A real-time shock changes everyone. I can see it happen. Sometimes I have to tell someone what to do and then physically push them to urge them in to action. Other times I have yelled at an interfering person (usually a superior) in language that would otherwise get me fired in order to force the interfering person away from the danger.

Once a person develops the ability to think methodically and do nothing else during an emergency...the process gets easier, the thoughts get clearer, and can even become subconscious to the point where your brain can move in to its methodical mode at the first twinges of the adrenalin coursing your system. When this becomes habitual, or even instinctual, one gets the benefit of thinking clealy in any real time emergency, be it a fight, a fire, an accident, etc.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It is time to take what have been training to a higher level. Train it in a more live fashion. Start with slow resistive training where you work through the different aspects . Then move on to a stronger resistive mode where a little more intention is put in the aspects. then move up to yet an other level where the training becomes about 3/4 s the full level. That way you learn to apply what you trained under pressure and have to work it with a patrner that is resisiting and trying to do something else right back at you. Drills work methods but do not readly resist those methods.

ufc_kidd_94

White Belt
Reaction score
well what type of training. im 11 and i do judo,jujitsu,and self defense.

if you enjoy martial arts then do it, if you dont love it dont trie

nice to meet you

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whitebelt said:
Today a thought struck me, and it struck pretty hard.
I was having a little "muckyfight" with one of my mates and I noticed how badly I was doing. I was put in holds I could easily break, twist or escape, but i didn't, I don't know why this is. I have done plenty of drills in training and can manipulate a wrist better than a non -MAist, but I didn't.

Thank you.

Reading this, I'm getting the impression that this was not a 'serious, life and death fight' so that being said, you reacted this way because this is your friend and you didn't want to cause any harm.

As for being able to react...yes, the more you train and practice, the more natural things will become.

Mike

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you train to do those things in sparring? A static rehersal of a technique is not the same as being able to do it in sparring.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Do you train to do those things in sparring? A static rehersal of a technique is not the same as being able to do it in sparring.

I agree.

The way you will perform against a resisting unpredictable opponent vs. a cooperative training partner is night and day.

You need to train with resistance in order to see what will work when someone is resisting you.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have screwed up in Randori, wrestling and sparring. I felt like such an idiot, I knew better than to get beat the way I did.

I have been in situations however where I needed to defend myself, my training kicked in and I was cool and calm. I was in the Marine Corps in 1994, I had gone to Haiti and had to use hapkido during riot control and house to house fighting.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
The way you will perform against a resisting unpredictable opponent vs. a cooperative training partner is night and day.

You need to train with resistance in order to see what will work when someone is resisting you.

I gotta agree with Paul on this one. Training kansetsu waza static with a cooperative partner is great for learning proper application of the technique and observing the effects they have on the body like skeletal freezing, knowing the difference between a joint being locked vs broken, and recognizing counters to the technique.

However, to truly learn if you can make the technique work for you, it MUST be trained against a resisting partner. People will have a tendency to "muscle" the technique at first, so be very careful not to damage your training partner. Knowing the difference between locked and broken cannot be overstated. I still have difficulty (read premature pain) when nikyo is applied to me thanks to training with someone that had NO sensitivity to joint locks and thus broke my right wrist.

Latest Discussions