Its come to this.

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
thanks for all the advice...

I want to teach... someday.

thats my goal. To have my own school. and to do that I need to be grounded in something. and I feel like at my old instructor's school I would have a better chance at getting to teach and help.

I actually did assist alot back when I went, during drills and such..

I think the choice has been made.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the advice...

I want to teach... someday.

thats my goal. To have my own school. and to do that I need to be grounded in something. and I feel like at my old instructor's school I would have a better chance at getting to teach and help.

I actually did assist alot back when I went, during drills and such..

I think the choice has been made.

If your goal is to have your own school, then you are probably in a good place, you are going to get alot of hands on training on running one, heck, from the sounds of it you could wind up inheriting this one. That said, if you are going to be an instructor, please learn how to fight. Going to the previous school because you are comfortable with the format and is more in line with your personal goals (point fighting, fitness, high kicks) is great, but there really isn't anything sadder than a martial arts instructor who can't fight because it isn't pretty.

Lamont

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
As it was stated here, you seem to have had it pretty good at the old school or less stressed as you put it.

What is the possibility of talking to your old instructor about the classes and what you desire out of it. Maybe he would be willing to listen to you and your thoughts and get a new direction for those like you. I'm sure your not the only one that feels that way.

I use to attend a TKD class that was run by a friend of mine for the city and it was mostly kids and of course for the city, it was cheap, but he was excellent and had been doing it since our service days. So I know how you feel on the kid aspect of it. We talked and he made a separate class just for the adults on a different night so we could gain the most of what we wanted it for.

Might be worth looking into and speaking to your old instructor about it.

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well i called up my old teacher. He actually has adult classes now. 3 a week.. however I am welcome to attend any of the other classes, but he did make me aware that it would be mostly kids. He charges a 3rd of what I was paying.. and like I said its about 10 minutes from my house. I'm married, so time spent at home is hard to come by. We just welcomed a new addition for our family, so we are making preparations for that. Being closer to home seems like a smart decision.

He only teaches TKD, but thats all I am really interested in until I have come to a point where I am comfortable with my ability in it. His school won't be around forever, and I could very well be the placeholder to carry on the torch when he is no longer able.

As far as being able to fight is concerned. I'm not sure what you mean by that.. as nearly all the great martial artists I know have never fought. Sparred? yes.. fought. not unless they competed in full contact competition.. no. One of the biggest points behind martial arts.. is avoiding fighting in the first place. Thats a bigger victory than pounding some dude's face in. A bum off the street can fight.. that doesn't make him a martial artist. But I know what you mean.

I'm gonna take a break until after christmas and stuff.. and then hit it hard :)

Latest Discussions