Its come to this.

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
To try to keep this anonymous. I am not gonna mention some pertinent information as to not reveal anything about different schools. take this in a general sense.

I LOVE martial arts. I have been doing it since I was in my teens. I'm in my mid twenties now. I have been studying tae kwon do off an on for a long time. never achieved black belt, but am about midway up in the ranks. ITF style. The school I was going to has been open for close to 30 years. The teacher is probably in his 50s maybe even 60s. Alot of things has changed. He's not as strict, he has mostly kids. But, he still teaches the same thing he has been teaching for 30 years. I left because there weren't very many adults, and because of a few other minor things. I never really had a problem with the curriculum. I was always prepared and I always felt ready when I tested. He didn't do much extracurricular stuff like tourneys, seminars.. but then again there are plenty of those out there I can do own my own. He is right down the road.. about a 5 minute drive. He has classes every day, 2-3 a night so the choices are open. He has always been very reasonable with his prices, and I did actually feel like I was getting what I was paying for. Even though the kids did get on my nerves sometimes because I was the only adult many days.

Well recently I got back into martial arts after a long hiatus. I've been going to a new school for a while now. It was great to start with..But alot of things have happened while we have been going. lets just say it started to scream Mcdojo. weird system, the curriculum changed on a whim, sometimes we don't even get the material we are supposed to have for our testing until a few days before the test. there are just ALOT of things, that aggrivate me. not to mention its almost an hr drive for me to get there, plus the fees are almost twice of what I am used to paying. The system was designed by the instructor, so its not a traditional martial which is fine. but like I said my background is TKD. I like to point spar, and I like to do forms. We do very little forms.. I'm not going to go too deep into it as to not reveal anything. If you want to know more, PM me and I will explain further.

My dilemma right now.. is I have had some life changing things happen. And driving that far is not really that feasible anymore. I never get home until after 9, and I work another hr in the opposite direction from my home and another 45 minutes from the opposite direction of my school. Its not so much the money involved as it is, what I am getting for the drive and the money I am spending. Is it worth it? The school teaches more than one thing, so the only classes that interests me are only on two days and only at 2 specific times.

I'm wondering, if I should go back to my roots.. and go back to my local school, where the fees are cheaper, and I'd be alot less stressed to get there. I wouldn't be learning anything I haven't already done, but I'd be honing the skills I already have. I almost feel like the extra stuff I would be learning at the new school could be learned at a later time as its more or less bits and pieces from different systems thrown together.

If you were in my situation, what would you do?

I'm to do whatever I decide after Christmas and just take a break from it all until then.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would go in the direction you are more comfortable with, that seems by your post the original school. So in essence you answered your own question.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, that's what happens when you write something out.

But I wonder if he's really limited to the two schools? It seem like he's basically got a 2 hour wide circle of places to consider. The right school will be worth the travel... He might find something different available somewhere in that circle, or even just a TKD school that has more adults in it.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

I always select a school by the better instructor, and I must say that as a "high rank blue" you still have a lot to learn from your original TKD instructor.

Lamont

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hm.

I think you should examine why exactly it is you returned to and what exactly you hope to get out of training.

If you want to continue learning and testing yourself at this point in life, if you want to compete, continue to expand your knowledge base then you're already doing what it takes, apparently.

If you want to give back to an art you enjoyed and find new ways to appreciate it then return to your old place and teach. You'd be surprised what you can learn when you teach things to other people - especially when they have a hard time absorbing things you felt were so easy.

Or you could go a completely different route, empty your cup and start new closer to work.

But I think the core element that has to guide your decision is your purpose in training and find a venue which will help you enrich that.

Best wishes for good training,

G

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
It sounds like you DID answer your own question.
BUT: It's also probably true that you're NOT limited to Just these two choices. There are probably a great many more schools in your location or near enough to where you live that you could attend.

SEARCH HARD!!

Your Brother
John

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm a traditionalist. I'm not really about learning to "fight". Its more about the art, and tradition of it. I am going for fitness, and to better myself mentally. My former school was more so along those lines. It was TKD so it was more sport than it was "self defense". My new school loses all the art, and drops to straight practicality. Which is fine, but I don't intend to be in any altercations (hopefully) where I would need know most of the stuff we are doing. In my eyes, its better self defense to avoid the fight all together than to know how to break someone's wrist in 10 places.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would go in the direction you are more comfortable with, that seems by your post the original school. So in essence you answered your own question.

What he said...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm a traditionalist. I'm not really about learning to "fight". Its more about the art, and tradition of it. I am going for fitness, and to better myself mentally. My former school was more so along those lines. It was TKD so it was more sport than it was "self defense". My new school loses all the art, and drops to straight practicality. Which is fine, but I don't intend to be in any altercations (hopefully) where I would need know most of the stuff we are doing. In my eyes, its better self defense to avoid the fight all together than to know how to break someone's wrist in 10 places.

"Traditional" martial arts ARE about fighting, it is why they exist. The most practical martial systems are just as much an "art" as the most traditional martial art.

Lamont

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It sounds like you DID answer your own question.
BUT: It's also probably true that you're NOT limited to Just these two choices. There are probably a great many more schools in your location or near enough to where you live that you could attend.

SEARCH HARD!!

Your Brother
John

I wish it was that easy. I really do. this area of the world has never been a hotbed of martial arts schools. I can count the ones within an hr's driving on one hand. because of where I work, the only 2 feasible are the ones I am trying to decide between. I don't think any school is perfect. so thats why the choice is so hard. If you'd like to prove me wrong, feel free to pm me. I'll tell ya what location I am in so you can see if you can find more than I can.. but I have scoured the area both online and off.. I even know of a few schools that are not really schools at all.. kind of underground schools.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
go back and talk with your old instructor see how it feels to you.
or
Look for a different style/school in your area. You may find another school that feels right

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Ha! No question in my mind. I'd be at the old school, the roots. Even if it is like a day care, make the best of a situation. Perhaps there is ONE (it only takes one) new student there, maybe a white belt. Would you not be able to assist ONE student trying to learn?

Make sure they pivot the back foot good when they kick the roundhouse kick. Make sure they twist the waist good! Impress upon them the need to SMASH the target, not just touch it!

You see, to be a Master Instructor is too much weight! It makes one shudder. However, to be an advanced (somewhat) student to give assistance to a lower belt student is more carefree and easy. You simply do it.

And, then, you can enjoy watching this ONE new student progress.

No question in my mind. What would I do? No brainer, but again, this is just ME. Sometimes to give is better than to receive. What can I BRING to an occasion instead of what can I GET from an occasion.

Of course, if you wish to be some great cagefighter or something like that, that may change things. But that is what I would do!

Regards,

Robert

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"Traditional" martial arts ARE about fighting, it is why they exist. The most practical, functional, martial systems are just as much an "art" as the most traditional martial art.

Right, I should have stated what I meant differently. I guess what I meant is.. I'm more into the old style of things. I like high kicks, and stuff that looks "pretty" it might not work in a real fight, but thats not what I am here to do. Sure, biting, eye gouging, and stabbing with weapons is useful.. but how does that help me stay in shape?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Azmyth let me see if I have this right you like your old instructor and the school itself. He has mainly childern when you train and that does not brither you. It has the tradition you are looking for and you was happy there right?

So why are you making this harder than it is, simplicity go back with your head between your legs and tell your previous instructor that you are sorry for leaving and you would love to train with him again. Keep it simple.

Now if there is another reason you are not telling us then please do. I know I have had three formal students come back to my school after trying out other TKD school and found out that the grass was not greener just more expensive.

I wish you the best in your decission but really you are putting yourself though soo much for a simple answer,

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wish it was that easy. I really do. this area of the world has never been a hotbed of martial arts schools. I can count the ones within an hr's driving on one hand. because of where I work, the only 2 feasible are the ones I am trying to decide between. I don't think any school is perfect. so thats why the choice is so hard. If you'd like to prove me wrong, feel free to pm me. I'll tell ya what location I am in so you can see if you can find more than I can.. but I have scoured the area both online and off.. I even know of a few schools that are not really schools at all.. kind of underground schools.
Nah......I've never been very interested in proving people wrong.
I just wanted to encourage you to really search things out. But if you're satisfied that you've done that to the best of your ability and you're still only coming up with these two options... it DOES sound like you should go back to your first instructor, with humility, and recomence your training with him.

If the lack of adult students bothers you, I'd suggest taking up the cause of working to help the instructor recruit more adults! Something to consider. IF you don't have somewhere else to go, help improve the place you're at.
just something to think about.

Best of luck to you.

Your Brother
John

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
IF you don't have somewhere else to go, help improve the place you're at.

thats not a bad idea..
but I can do that without driving an hr and paying twice the price.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you were happy at the first school and didn't like being one of the few - or the only - adult, then what about going back there and helping to increase the number of adult students?

As has been touched on by many posters, the instructor is often more important than the style. These 2 discussions are aimed more at new students than returning students, but much of what is said can help you if you decide to look for a different school.

Resources for Beginners
Choosing a school

Good luck!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To try to keep this anonymous. I am not gonna mention some pertinent information as to not reveal anything about different schools. take this in a general sense.

I LOVE martial arts. I have been doing it since I was in my teens. I'm in my mid twenties now. I have been studying tae kwon do off an on for a long time. never achieved black belt, but am about midway up in the ranks. ITF style. The school I was going to has been open for close to 30 years. The teacher is probably in his 50s maybe even 60s. Alot of things has changed. He's not as strict, he has mostly kids. But, he still teaches the same thing he has been teaching for 30 years. I left because there weren't very many adults, and because of a few other minor things. I never really had a problem with the curriculum. I was always prepared and I always felt ready when I tested. He didn't do much extracurricular stuff like tourneys, seminars.. but then again there are plenty of those out there I can do own my own. He is right down the road.. about a 5 minute drive. He has classes every day, 2-3 a night so the choices are open. He has always been very reasonable with his prices, and I did actually feel like I was getting what I was paying for. Even though the kids did get on my nerves sometimes because I was the only adult many days.

Well recently I got back into martial arts after a long hiatus. I've been going to a new school for a while now. It was great to start with..But alot of things have happened while we have been going. lets just say it started to scream Mcdojo. weird system, the curriculum changed on a whim, sometimes we don't even get the material we are supposed to have for our testing until a few days before the test. there are just ALOT of things, that aggrivate me. not to mention its almost an hr drive for me to get there, plus the fees are almost twice of what I am used to paying. The system was designed by the instructor, so its not a traditional martial which is fine. but like I said my background is TKD. I like to point spar, and I like to do forms. We do very little forms.. I'm not going to go too deep into it as to not reveal anything. If you want to know more, PM me and I will explain further.

My dilemma right now.. is I have had some life changing things happen. And driving that far is not really that feasible anymore. I never get home until after 9, and I work another hr in the opposite direction from my home and another 45 minutes from the opposite direction of my school. Its not so much the money involved as it is, what I am getting for the drive and the money I am spending. Is it worth it? The school teaches more than one thing, so the only classes that interests me are only on two days and only at 2 specific times.

I'm wondering, if I should go back to my roots.. and go back to my local school, where the fees are cheaper, and I'd be alot less stressed to get there. I wouldn't be learning anything I haven't already done, but I'd be honing the skills I already have. I almost feel like the extra stuff I would be learning at the new school could be learned at a later time as its more or less bits and pieces from different systems thrown together.

I'm to do whatever I decide after Christmas and just take a break from it all until then.
You won't be as happy anywhere else. You have no idea how much you are helping yourself by helping those annoying kids. If you want a social hour, go to the bar after class. LOL
Sean

Latest Discussions