It's a control issue.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
When I started training in American Kenpo, There were only 2 of us in the school, plus the instructor. The instructor was heavy handed and the other guy grew up on the wrong side of the tracks. It was nearly 12 months before I got my yellow belt, because I wasn't aggressive enough. Man we used to go home cut and bruised. I wouldn't have swapped it for anything. Our school never really grew in size until a new instructor took over, with a different attitude toward pain....
Those of us from the original school kept playing hard, but with newer students we were under strict orders to go easy.

After I left American Kenpo for some pressure point stuff, the thing I missed and still do, the most was the contact. The good thing is that the school where I train now has a lot of contact at the higher levels, and it suits me just fine to throw hard, knowing that I will get it back bigtime.

Sometimes I think it is just horses for courses!

Hell, I used to tell people to play hard or go the f**k home!
These days I'm a little more tolerant, but only a little:D

--Dave

:asian:

K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by nightingale8472
If someone is afraid and timid, I'm gonna be gentle with them, because they're already afraid of getting hurt.

But you ain't doing them any favor. They have to get used to some kind of pain to elevate their threshold for pain, otherwise they won't know how to react a real sit comes up.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpomachine
But you ain't doing them any favor. They have to get used to some kind of pain to elevate their threshold for pain, otherwise they won't know how to react a real sit comes up.

But this must be done gradually, with the active input of the person concerned, otherwise they will lose confidence in their ability to 'make it' in Kenpo, and you will lose a student.

Also, if that happens they will relate their negative experience to their friends, and you will lose a valuable source of new students.

Les

K

Kenpomachine

I agree with it being done gradually :D
However, it's usually more difficult to have them hitting you anything over gentle slapping first. Once they've seen you don't break or twist in pain, they put themselves together and can get hit a little harder...

Latest Discussions