ITF TKD Sparring

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Proficient immediately...able to act appropriately immediately. As for fighting...I may have used "fighting proficient" and most people do not understand this.

So, then...the number one thing to do in a confrontation is what? It is to act. So, if we can immediately instill a sense of urgency and will to act, the person will act...so, how is that not proficient? No one guarantees survival, but action certainly does immediately increase the chances.
great so if they,act with urgency by running away, that fits your defintion

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Proficient immediately...able to act appropriately immediately. As for fighting...I may have used "fighting proficient" and most people do not understand this.

So, then...the number one thing to do in a confrontation is what? It is to act. So, if we can immediately instill a sense of urgency and will to act, the person will act...so, how is that not proficient? No one guarantees survival, but action certainly does immediately increase the chances.

Acting without thinking or considering the consequences of your actions can often do more harm than good. In my personal opinion, the number one thing to do in a confrontation is to remain calm. The moment you lose control of your mind, you lose control of your body and have no hope of acting proficiently. Going back to the example of point sparring, one thing it will teach you is to remain calm and alert when faced with an opponent (something that all sparring teaches you). That is very beneficial in a confrontation.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, are you saying that everyone in the room is qualified to instruct? It sounds to me like not even the "instructor" is qualified to "instruct".
Qualified to Instruct, as in "being an instructor," no. However, there is a Lot of learning that you can get from a person, even a person of lower rank, just by asking for their feedback. They may not know much, but they know more about what it is like to spar against you than you do (generalized "you" here).

Something as simple as "I noticed that you have a habit of circling in to my right, your left, almost all the time and I started to try to capitalize on that. Might be nothing... might be a critical insight, who knows? But, you might not know about it unless you Ask.

Besides, it breeds a collegial atmosphere and team spirit.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Please enlighten me as to what a "TKD Point Sparring Style Kick Is". Are you talking about a kick that is thrown at the right distance to be pretty much completely extended when it makes contact? Or are there special kicks that TKD Point Sparring does?

How about we don't label with style...a base attack is a base attack...one attacks to the front, to the side, or around, for example...

What if they act with immediacy and urgency by throwing TKD Point Sparring style kicks? ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I like how this is changing...it is the instructor's job to program appropriate applications and action into the student. That student then goes and uses those in a training situation. The feedback is, and should be...how they did nor did not work. If it did not work well...was it the instruction, the application, or the student's understanding of the application? In any case, the instructor is then to look at the "defect" and correct it so it works.

Qualified to Instruct, as in "being an instructor," no. However, there is a Lot of learning that you can get from a person, even a person of lower rank, just by asking for their feedback. They may not know much, but they know more about what it is like to spar against you than you do (generalized "you" here).

Something as simple as "I noticed that you have a habit of circling in to my right, your left, almost all the time and I started to try to capitalize on that. Might be nothing... might be a critical insight, who knows? But, you might not know about it unless you Ask.

Besides, it breeds a collegial atmosphere and team spirit.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like how this is changing...it is the instructor's job to program appropriate applications and action into the student. That student then goes and uses those in a training situation. The feedback is, and should be...how they did nor did not work. If it did not work well...was it the instruction, the application, or the student's understanding of the application? In any case, the instructor is then to look at the "defect" and correct it so it works.

In an ideal world yes you are correct. However, try doing that as the instructor when you have 10 students all working at the same time. The simple matter is you can't watch them all at the same time and give them all individual in depth feedback whenever they make a mistake. So in this case you need to rely on the students to help each other by providing feedback during sparring.

All of this makes me wonder if you have ever taught anyone before. I'm going to guess you haven't or at least you haven't tried teaching a sizeable class before, because your expectations on what an instructor should do are completely unrealistic.

Reactions: JP3

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If we look back at the original posts, no one placed the responsibility on the instructor...they were substituting real instruction with guesses, trying new tings, relying on students. Students are not trained to instruct. If the instructor does his / her job correctly...properly sequences material, proper methods, separating levels, instilling core fundamentals, many questions answer themselves...or they were answered by the instructor.

Of course, if we really want to get into it, we need to discuss the proper structure of a session...including the instructional triad...

I have instructed, I do instruct...everything from individual to groups of 30 to 50 in classes.

In an ideal world yes you are correct. However, try doing that as the instructor when you have 10 students all working at the same time. The simple matter is you can't watch them all at the same time and give them all individual in depth feedback whenever they make a mistake. So in this case you need to rely on the students to help each other by providing feedback during sparring.

All of this makes me wonder if you have ever taught anyone before. I'm going to guess you haven't or at least you haven't tried teaching a sizeable class before, because your expectations on what an instructor should do are completely unrealistic.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ok...I am done with you...good bye!

you argument was it had to be warlike or it was a fraud. Running martial rt class were all you teach is how to run, is a running class and a bit of a fraud

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please enlighten me as to what a "TKD Point Sparring Style Kick Is". Are you talking about a kick that is thrown at the right distance to be pretty much completely extended when it makes contact? Or are there special kicks that TKD Point Sparring does?
You tell me. The OP started with ITF style TKD sparring which you criticized as "a game of tag" and referenced the style as "solo air dancing."

How about we don't label with style...a base attack is a base attack...one attacks to the front, to the side, or around, for example...
Cura te ipsum

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Or, 15, or 25.... The most I ever had in one class (Thank goodness as it was all I could do to keep everyone moving the same, then organized for line-kicking drills) was 32.

I wished it was only 10!

OP
L

ladolcevita

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks a lot for the responses it's much appreciated.

My instructor does provide guidance when we spar with each other (keep the knee up, etc etc) but still, I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing. It is one big game of tag (at this point we're only tapping to the shoulders and torso until we get the headgear on) but I can't seem to get in there to do it even though I am very very quick on my feet. Not that it's relevant but I'm a female and when I spar with my male classmates they go a bit easy on me, which doesn't help to push me!

I will have to do tournaments when I'm a bit higher so I want to be prepped for it. Could you recommend some good 'tutorial' videos or ITF fighters that I should watch for a bit of inspiration? Anything would be beneficial.

Thanks guys.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks a lot for the responses it's much appreciated.

My instructor does provide guidance when we spar with each other (keep the knee up, etc etc) but still, I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing. It is one big game of tag (at this point we're only tapping to the shoulders and torso until we get the headgear on) but I can't seem to get in there to do it even though I am very very quick on my feet.
It's not about being "quick on your feet." It's about building experience, automatically recognizing cues for attack and defense, and automatically executing them. Frankly you are suffering, dually, from two things. First, you don't yet have the "programmed" responses. Second, you are behind in the OODA loop. Both of these can be helped with patience, practice, and experience.

Not that it's relevant but I'm a female and when I spar with my male classmates they go a bit easy on me, which doesn't help to push me!
This may or may not be true. Some guys do go easier on the ladies. Some ladies simply believe that they're being treated disproportionately. I was working Cutlass and Boarding Ax with one young lady who was convinced I was pulling my strikes. I wasn't. I was not hammering them as powerfully as I could, but I didn't need to. I was letting the weapon do the work. No sense tiring myself out needlessly.

The same thing may be happening to you.

The problem, again, is that you are inexperienced. You may not have enough contextual experience to correctly judge whether or not they're "going easy" on you. It could be that you are working with people who are using their experience to judge how much it is proper to use against someone with your level of training and experience. Frankly, when I'm teaching, I don't go as hard on 12 year old girls with no training experience as I do with healthy, strong, 27 year old men with years of wrestling experience.

What I'm saying is that I tailor training (within limits) to a student's physical capabilities and experience level. It's pretty common for most instructors to do so.

On the other hand, maybe your sparring partners think you're cute and are trying to get a date. I don't know and all I have are my personal experiences and what you're telling me.

Honestly, if you think your sparring partners are going too easy on you, tell them to step it up a bit. Ask your Sabum if they're going to light or if it's OK for you to push a bit harder.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
L

ladolcevita

White Belt
Reaction score
@lklawson

Yes I understand what you're saying and I know that it comes with practice and persistence. I just dislike the feeling of sparing in front of my class and bouncing around aimlessly (well, OK, not aimlessly...but rather not knowing what I'm supposed to do). It's not about winning for me right now but simply having the right technique/application in mind, if that's the right word. For example in my first sparring session with a red belt, I did a lot of boxing/jabbing techniques to her shoulder because that's what I've done previously and I didn't know otherwise. Obviously my instructor pulled me up on it. So I'm guessing I should start with the combos that we learn in class and go from there?

I have told my male classmates to go harder but I look very dainty (I'm not...) so I do understand why they do it. But in any case, there's not much I can do about that. It would be nice to be pushed a bit harder though cause I don't mind.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@lklawson

Yes I understand what you're saying and I know that it comes with practice and persistence. I just dislike the feeling of sparing in front of my class and bouncing around aimlessly (well, OK, not aimlessly...but rather not knowing what I'm supposed to do). It's not about winning for me right now but simply having the right technique/application in mind, if that's the right word.
Trying not to sound like a jerk, but, well, suck it up. You know that it's just going to take time, so, well, take the time. I know you're gonna feel weird but that's just life.

I have told my male classmates to go harder but I look very dainty (I'm not...) so I do understand why they do it. But in any case, there's not much I can do about that. It would be nice to be pushed a bit harder though cause I don't mind.
Try going harder on them. Knock 'em on their keister and they'll step it up a notch.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions