IT Accident waiting to Happen

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21280943

Oh so true! This article resonates strongly for me in my line of work too (SCADA Engineer). There are quite a few configuration 'rules' that exist only because the software contains structures that require them even when there is no need for them any longer - for example, maintaining the TIE LINE config for GI74 in DEV 1 systems even tho' such a thing is no longer used in any installation throughout the country! It all costs money and leads to errors that could be avoided, sometimes very expensive errors.

So to characterise it as an "IT Debt" is a good way to think of it - it needs a rethink by the purse string holders because in the long run it is not cheaper to let this things fester in the dark ... eventually they come to light and then the offset payments become due with a vengeance.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait... You're advocating doing away with the TIE LINE?! Horrors! Are you going to try to restore the ASCOT LINKAGES?

(Sorry, couldn't resist. That whole sentence was words but had no sense to me!)

I think it's kind of like key rings. We've got key rings for each cruiser. They've got the keys for the cruiser, the gas pumps, the found bike yard, and so on. And, of course, each key ring has about 4 or 5 "mystery keys" left on it. I'm sure they served a purpose at some point... but they weren't removed when they weren't needed. And, now, those keys live on the key ring. Nobody's willing to take them off...

In the same way, we've grafted a lot of new features onto various tech. But we've left old stuff there that no longer serves a purpose, or was needed during the transition and should have been dumped... And, I agree, one day some of those features are going to bite us in our collective arses.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Throw into that software companies that buy other software companies and the buyer know nothing about the software they just bought and you re there. Been there, done that and dealing with this stuff a lot, not as much as I use to since we took the stance in the last upgrade that old software will not be installed and it looks like the next upgrade will be the same and a lot of my headaches went away

Latest Discussions