HOW ABOUT A NICE GAME OF CHESS?

War Games was on last night. :)
haha that's funny! and true too.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
mantis said:
haha that's funny! and true too.

Problem is when one side wants to fight, and the other does not. Laying down arms is great, until your enemy picks them back up.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Problem is when one side wants to fight, and the other does not. Laying down arms is great, until your enemy picks them back up.
what's interesting about this particular conflict is both parties want to stop at least the lebanese do after Qana, but the US just does not want to stop it. the US wants the new-born middle east to come out of this conflict and they are just not willing to make it stop.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
what's interesting about this particular conflict is both parties want to stop at least the lebanese do after Qana, but the US just does not want to stop it. the US wants the new-born middle east to come out of this conflict and they are just not willing to make it stop.

Just so I have this straight.

Your assertation is that neither the Irealis nor the Palastinians want to fight, but they are fighting because the US wants them to?

And Lebanon doesn't want to fight, but they don't want to talk either. What exactly is it that they want again?

Also, hasn't Isreals doctrine of massive retaliation been in place for like 30 years or something? Basically saying that if you directly attack us we are going to bomb the **** out of you. What did Hizbullah think was going to happen?

I feel terrible that civilians are getting hurt and killed, but thats what happens when you have a wing of your government that is a terrorist organization, and all its leadership is intermingled with civilians. Maybe next time Isreal warns people to leave they will.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ginshun said:
Just so I have this straight.

Your assertation is that neither the Irealis nor the Palastinians want to fight, but they are fighting because the US wants them to?

And Lebanon doesn't want to fight, but they don't want to talk either. What exactly is it that they want again?

Also, hasn't Isreals doctrine of massive retaliation been in place for like 30 years or something? Basically saying that if you directly attack us we are going to bomb the **** out of you. What did Hizbullah think was going to happen?

I feel terrible that civilians are getting hurt and killed, but thats what happens when you have a wing of your government that is a terrorist organization, and all its leadership is intermingled with civilians. Maybe next time Isreal warns people to leave they will.
no, that's what happens when your entire state is a terrorist state but you have the 'democracy' cover
warning people to leave is not enough especially when you bomb all roads and bridges and isolate the towns you are satisfy your sadistic lust in.
Israel does not have the right to 'warn' people to leave their homes. in fact no one does not even the lebanese gov't.
they're not fighting because the US wants them to, but they cannot stop because of that. it's obvious that Israel has a green light to commit more genocide, massacres, and war crimes.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
mantis said:

We have been hearing how US interference in the Middle East has caused so many problems and so much distrust. How should the US interfere in the conflict between Israel and Hizzbullah? Is the US the only country in the world that can do anything about it?

I'm not saying the US shouldn't step in and try to get some sort of talks started, since no one else in this gd world can do it.

I saw a Power Point slide show of some of the destruction. It included some bombed out vehicles and dead children by the side of the road. This whole thing is so ****** up.

I gotta go. I'm on a break at work and I can't really get emotional right now thinking about those poor families on both sides.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
crushing said:
We have been hearing how US interference in the Middle East has caused so many problems and so much distrust. How should the US interfere in the conflict between Israel and Hizzbullah? Is the US the only country in the world that can do anything about it?

I'm not saying the US shouldn't step in and try to get some sort of talks started, since no one else in this gd world can do it.

I saw a Power Point slide show of some of the destruction. It included some bombed out vehicles and dead children by the side of the road. This whole thing is so ****** up.

I gotta go. I'm on a break at work and I can't really get emotional right now thinking about those poor families on both sides.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UN_Security_Council_Veto_Power
look at how many times veto has been used by the US and why

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
crushing said:
Is the US the only country in the world that can do anything about it?

crushing,

I don't know the answer to your first question, except for this. The United States is a very strong and constant partner of Israel. If you look at other Nation States around the globe, you will find they are either a bit more ambiguous, or strong and constant partners of the Palestinians.

Many other nations have been calling for a cessation of the hostilities.

Currently, the United States has not taken a strong stand on this point. The President talks about a 'sustainable peace' ... but not about stopping the shooting. Now, just because the President calls for both beligerents to stop shooting doesn't mean they will. But, the ambiguous signals (and who knows what specific words SecState Rice has conveyed), certainly keep Israel on the war path.

Remember, the United States sells Israel great quantities of highly sophisticated weaponry. We have currently accelerated the delivery of a sales agreement from last fall, at Israel's request. What kind of signal does that send?

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In an interview in Jerusalem, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert told The Associated Press the fighting will stop only once an international peacekeeping force is in place in southern Lebanon.

"We can't stop before because if there will not be a presence of a very effective and robust military international force, Hezbollah will be there and we will have achieved nothing," he said.

I like that move. It puts more responsibility on the international community than to just sit there saying "Stop it, stop it..." And in the meanwhile, they can keep getting the job done.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

Currently, the United States has not taken a strong stand on this point. The President talks about a 'sustainable peace' ... but not about stopping the shooting. Now, just because the President calls for both beligerents to stop shooting doesn't mean they will. But, the ambiguous signals (and who knows what specific words SecState Rice has conveyed), certainly keep Israel on the war path.

One twist on this is that the Iraqi governement has come out as being very ani-Israel on this whole subject. I'm wondering if that has an impact on how much the US is willing to officially say either way.

Latest Discussions