Is taekwondo a form of karate?

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm back and after this post I'm going to get banned, I'm sure of it, but this has to be said.
Is taekwondo a form of karate? No, tang soo do is a form of karate, infact it was karate.
I would agree regarding TSD.

The "TSD fighting form" was the "TKD style" that General Choi wanted and designed. So why did the "old school TKD" changed in "olympic TKD", well TKD was used as a cultural propaganda tool and the process to get TKD as an olympic sport ( which started maybe already in the early seventies) changed it from a martial art to a competition sport.
The sport TKD resembles in nothing anymore to the vision of General Choi, no kicking below the waste, no punches to the face, hell there are almost no punches at all and there's no guard (everyone keeps there hands down) because of the side-stand.
We used a similar stance in fencing. The idea being to present a smaller profile, which in a fight is a good idea. But the hands down thing is irritating and fairly worthless.

To restore TKD to his old glory, we have to start training Savate, which in fighting style resembles for 95% "old school" TKD, add the Palgwé forms (loose the Tageuks, center of gravity is too high), loose the chestprotector and helmet (footprotecters, a shell and boxing gloves are enough). At that moment can we speak again that TKD belongs to the karate family whilest now it's just a poor offshoot of the karate family.
When I started out in taekwondo, we didn't use any of the Olympic gear; just insteps, hand/wrist guards (not boxing gloves, but they served the same purpose), a cup and a mouth piece for sparring. To be fair, at that time, Taekwondo wasn't in the Olympics. Of course we also practiced on sprung hardwood.

But this will not be possible before TKD loses the "olympic" status and popularity.

Like I said, most of you aren't going to like this post, heck I don't even like this post, but it's minutes for midnight if TKD wants to become again a respectable martial art.
Banned?? And why wouldn't I like your post? I find your post well written and honest.:)

Daniel

Last edited:

Latest Discussions