Is size a concern?

OnAQuest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Anyway, as for size, I lost my desire to care. My lifts are still making progress so I'm still getting stronger and still staying my size.
I run a 3x5 program (3 sets 5 reps) i weight 142lbs for a while now
bench 170lbs dead lift 290lbs squat 205lbs

I highly recommend taking a break from this routine every 6-8 weeks and mixing in some higher reps. 4 sets for 8-12 reps.

You will kill your joints if you keep training in the 5 rep range without rest.

Justin

OP
G

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I highly recommend taking a break from this routine every 6-8 weeks and mixing in some higher reps. 4 sets for 8-12 reps.

You will kill your joints if you keep training in the 5 rep range without rest.

Justin

Oh I know. The program tells you to take a week off every 3-4 weeks.
I havn't taken one off in like 2 months though.
Thanks for pressing the importance of rest. I'll make sure I take next week off.

(it's only a twice a week lift. it stresses your body needs rest. Your body grows on your off days, not in the gym.)

btw, the link I posted mentions why heavy reps are good and why high reps are useless. That's a different program than mine (although mine is Pavel too)

CDA4555

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think I found my answer. Maybe I will try to increase my appetite again, bulk some then cut my weight. I have become a lot stronger since my first attempt.

I'm 140 now,
I bench 155lbs
dead lift 275lbs 5 reps 3 sets

Any ways to keep my hand speed up though? Punching with 5 lb weights?

btw, I do sprints and long distance jogs too.
and I play tennis.

I'm in pretty good shape,
I attend to become a police officer soon enough, preferablly the sheriff department like my sifu.

Sounds like you're doing just fine. I've been in law enforcement for almost a decade and my size (5-4 and 155 lbs) has never been an issue. In my younger days I used to be into the "size" factor reaching about 185 lbs at my heaviest...I believe the me "now" would beat the living daylights out of the me "back then" because I'm faster and smarter.

Today, having functional strength is the key to success. Eat healthy, train smart and often. Be a well rounded fighter but also train your mental attitude to be positive and ready to go. Size difference only matter in combat sports like the UFC, on the street, however, the battle goes to the one who is most prepared.

Good Luck.

OP
G

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
BIG 180

So after long discussions with this kid Jake in my martial arts place, (he is a sports medicine guy) he finally convinced me heavy lifting (low reps, heavy weights) was not the best fit for JKD. (but not that it was necessarily bad, just not as suitable as other things) He mentioned, a marital art like Systema would do well with this program because they use brute strength and such in their art. But JKD is NOT about strength, I don't care if you are an original or Insasanto follower.
Power= Velocity x Force
Being able to bench press does not really fully convert to a stronger punch. I know some people gave the example, 400 lb bencher vs 100lb bencher.

Well, firstly, that's such a huge size difference that can easily be contributed by other elements.
Nextly, Bruce was small and hit very hard.

So my routine is much different.
I do higher reps and ditched clean jerks and dead lifts.
so instead of 5 reps, it's more 8-12 reps
it's devised of core and balance and strength exercises.

most importantly. after reading fighting methods
I started jump roping a lot. I got real lazy with cardio, so I'm doing this all the time now. I jump rope on lift days, and use the treadmill or eliptical on cardio days.

My sister had these silly things from Tao Bo. They are pretty much elastic bands. You are supposed to put the elastic ring on your shoe and put the handle in your hand. Instead, I put them on each side of a door knob, and I do the circle punches. (I apalogize for not knowing the terminolgy on this, especially on such a core technique.)

thanks for all the insight though on size and what not. I think I'm going to allow size to naturally come to me. Putting size on a guy like me drains your wallet and stresses you out (a big time constraint)

CDA4555

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Excellent. While I still hit the weights for some variety there is so much out there in performance improvement arena. Bruce Lee was always researching new conditioning techniques to up his game and I believe that this is the case for many martial artists out there. Programs that target functional strength such as Cross Fit seems to be the best fit for a martial artist. Also if you really want a brutal strength without limiting your range of motion you should check out a local kettlebell instructor. The Russian military has used these instruments for conditioning for years and believe me kettlebells are no joke. You will gain power and speed....but you must learn the precise techniques. Here is the link to find out more, also check out youtube to see kettlebellers in motion.

http://www.dragondoor.com/

sjansen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Since your in JKD maybe you should look at the founder. Bruce always tried to get bigger. He believed that he would be at his supreme power if he could get his weight up to 180 lbs. Simple physics says that mass time velocity equals force. The bigger you are, the harder you will probably hit.

OP
G

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Since your in JKD maybe you should look at the founder. Bruce always tried to get bigger. He believed that he would be at his supreme power if he could get his weight up to 180 lbs. Simple physics says that mass time velocity equals force. The bigger you are, the harder you will probably hit.

Well, Bruce is probably an exception either way (to everything)
but I can only reiterate what the guys in my place say, and that is that Bruce got up to 160lbs and did not like the loss of speed he encountered and dropped his weight back to down to his comfortable 130lbs. (of course maybe that's just Bruce individually)

While I agree, a bigger guy can probably throw a harder punch, you must realize something about power from the muscles. (If I knew the correct terminology I would use it) but learning the correct form then teaching your muscles to connect this properly to the brain is the key. You could call it muscle memory in it, but there is more to it. It's teaching the muscle how to function into a punch properly (along with the whole body) As we all know, it can take a very long time to actually master the straight blast.

This might be a personal belief, but I am highly confident someone who masters a straight blast no matter his size will throw it a lot harder than someone who is naturally big. Where I am going with this is, certain exercises can help your body program the muscles into these movements better than others. Any exercises that would involve core movements and balance I would imagine would fall into this.

But I know from fighting methods, it mentions that in boxing, the "less muscular" can be seen throwing a harder punch than the other guy.

Either way though, the necessity of size in a fight could go on forever. The only few examples I could offer is, in the early UFC's there were no rules. And large guys did not dominate the sport then. Also, if you notice, all the martial artists in these asian countries are very tiny yet skilled fighters. (this could be due to there diets yes, but I'm sure if they thought being larger was truely an advantage, it would change)

(I am only trying to repeat what was said to me, of course it's not going to be a 100% complete translation)

Overall I think size:
-can be intimidating (and a loss of confidence is a huge disadvantage)
-as long as a person knows how to adapt to a larger fighter, I think the advantage no longer exists)
-Depending on your art, JKD, kali, and silat do not stress strength in any of the exercises. it's all about applying little force to achieve results
(the exception being punching/kicking which as I said, I would not contribute a high bench press into the ability to mechanically throw a proper straight blast or cross)

sjansen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, Bruce is probably an exception either way (to everything)
but I can only reiterate what the guys in my place say, and that is that Bruce got up to 160lbs and did not like the loss of speed he encountered and dropped his weight back to down to his comfortable 130lbs. (of course maybe that's just Bruce individually)

While I agree, a bigger guy can probably throw a harder punch, you must realize something about power from the muscles. (If I knew the correct terminology I would use it) but learning the correct form then teaching your muscles to connect this properly to the brain is the key. You could call it muscle memory in it, but there is more to it. It's teaching the muscle how to function into a punch properly (along with the whole body) As we all know, it can take a very long time to actually master the straight blast.

This might be a personal belief, but I am highly confident someone who masters a straight blast no matter his size will throw it a lot harder than someone who is naturally big. Where I am going with this is, certain exercises can help your body program the muscles into these movements better than others. Any exercises that would involve core movements and balance I would imagine would fall into this.

But I know from fighting methods, it mentions that in boxing, the "less muscular" can be seen throwing a harder punch than the other guy.

Either way though, the necessity of size in a fight could go on forever. The only few examples I could offer is, in the early UFC's there were no rules. And large guys did not dominate the sport then. Also, if you notice, all the martial artists in these asian countries are very tiny yet skilled fighters. (this could be due to there diets yes, but I'm sure if they thought being larger was truely an advantage, it would change)

(I am only trying to repeat what was said to me, of course it's not going to be a 100% complete translation)

Overall I think size:
-can be intimidating (and a loss of confidence is a huge disadvantage)
-as long as a person knows how to adapt to a larger fighter, I think the advantage no longer exists)
-Depending on your art, JKD, kali, and silat do not stress strength in any of the exercises. it's all about applying little force to achieve results
(the exception being punching/kicking which as I said, I would not contribute a high bench press into the ability to mechanically throw a proper straight blast or cross)

I have trained in JKD, Kali and Silat and power does matter. I can take out most opponents smaller than me. Your instructors are leading you on if they are telling you that size doesn't matter. Herb (Bruce's training partner and dummy maker) said that Bruce wanted to get up to 180 to increase his power. Bruce was no dummy and you should not be either. If you gain fat, you gain nothing. Gain lean muscle and it will mean power in your punches and kicks.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is leading down the primrose path.

Technique will beat power every time. But, the average street fighter can be beat by poor technique. Do you want to win in a confrontation and not kill your opponent? You need power to do so.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The bigger you are, the harder you will probably hit.

Along this line, did anyone ever see that old Seinfeld episode where Kramer was so proud of being the toughest guy in his karate class? And then it turned out that the rest of the class were ten and twelve-year-olds!?!

I myself am still undefeated when sparring with my son! Of course, he's only 10 and less than half my size ...Oh, wait, there was that time he hit me between the legs. Well, anyway, you get the point.

hungfistron

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just curious, for a while I was trying to make it up to 150-160lbs when i was at 125. I'm now contently at 142 and over period getting there, I didn't really feel size would matter for JKD if I ever needed to apply it. However, sometimes I find it very difficult to ignore the fact some people can punch a lot harder, and I'm not quite sure it's any slower than mine. (I had always lent to the idea that smaller equals faster)

Should I attempt to get bigger? I do lift twice a week, just to keep my strength up, but I make no effort to bulk up or get any bigger than I am now. Just strength purposes. After reading some message boards about if size helps, it seemed most people though it was an advantage. Thoughts?

In my humble opinion no.

There is nothing at all wrong with lifting weights, or eating properly or any of those kinds of things. However, you can't hit harder simply by getting stronger, or by gaining 40 pounds of muscle. What you have to figure out is a happy medium between your personal speed, and your personal muscle strength. Some people you notice may be stronger then you now, but potentially with the proper training, you can and will hit harder. Since we are in the Jeet Kune Do thread, Bruce Lee did get all the way up to 175-180. Some of this best friends at that time were body builders, but he noticed that he slowed down, and that bothered him greatly. He got all the way back down to 145. What Bruce did is focused on explosive power, lean muscle, and endurance. Also repetition, and muscle memory greatly impacts speed. Weights can only help so much, you have to practice punching to punch harder. No way around it.

Most people that lift weights try to just get bigger. Bruce isolated muscle groups, and concentrated on circuit training. Little things like don't wait more than a minute before each exercise, breath in and out from your lower abdomen during each rep. Double and triple set muscle groups as frequent as you can, but with low weight. Jumping from crouching position over the weight bench to train your legs.

Now you don't have to do all of that, and try to be like Bruce Lee. Figure out what works best for yourself. One does not have to put on lots of weight to become strong, however you may need to workout more than twice a week...

Last edited:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, for a while I was trying to make it up to 150-160lbs when i was at 125. I'm now contently at 142 and over period getting there, I didn't really feel size would matter for JKD if I ever needed to apply it. However, sometimes I find it very difficult to ignore the fact some people can punch a lot harder, and I'm not quite sure it's any slower than mine. (I had always lent to the idea that smaller equals faster)

Should I attempt to get bigger? I do lift twice a week, just to keep my strength up, but I make no effort to bulk up or get any bigger than I am now. Just strength purposes. After reading some message boards about if size helps, it seemed most people though it was an advantage. Thoughts?
Size means you can hit an opponent any where an get a favorable effect. Being smaller means you have to be more accurate and precise. In tournaments and boxing matches they have weight categories, but in the street, ridding a bike, the smallest of bugs flying into your eye, can take the biggest of us to our knees.

OnAQuest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am going to simplify this conversation for everyone:

Again please refer to my "Attributes" post above.

Imagine two fighters standing face to face.

ALL THINGS being EQUAL --

They have the EXACT Speed, Technique, Timing/Reflexes. They know the EXACT same Skills.

1 of them is 150lbs of ripped muscle

1 of them is 185lbs of ripped muscle

----

The 185lber kicks the crap out of the 150lber everytime.

SIZE is an Attribute (IF it's quality Mass/Strength) but it is not the ONLY Attribute.

From what I can see there are the following main attributes that will contribute to your ability to win a fight and lets imagine they are on a scale of 1-10

SIZE/STRENGTH (1-10)

SPEED (1-10)

TECHNIQUE (1-10)

FLEXIBILITY (1-10)

REFLEXES (1-10)

If I had to rate myself on these I would guess:

Strength - 9

Speed - 6

Technique - 2 (I'm a yellow belt)

Flexibility - 2

Reflexes - 8

Total up my ATTRIBUTES points: 27

Now Rate Your Points Do you have more than 27? Then perhaps you could beat me in a fight, even though I'm 228lbs and probably stronger than you!

However I have room to increase my Technique, Flexibility and Speed and when I do..........Look Out Below! If you as a smaller guy have not increased your size/strength by the time I increase my Technique (You Lose)

I hope this puts all things into perspective.

ANYONE who tells you that SIZE/STRENGTH is a DISADVANTAGE.........is basically trying to sell you some Beach Front Property in Arizona

All things being equal:

Size Matters

Kind Regards,

OnAQuest

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Size always matters. Size and strength are especially difficult to overcome.

Anyone who thinks they aren't difficult to overcome is wrong. People have to put in a whole lot of training time before they can overcome a larger, stronger opponent who is determined to cause harm in an aggressive, remorseless fashion..

And even after they have trained for it, they still cannot disregard size as if it isn't there. It is there, and you have to work to overcome it.

I have seen blue belts roll and play with guys 50 pounds heavier and much stronger. It isn't hard for them, they have the training - but the size STILL must be dealt with - it doesn't go away - they just learn to overcome it.

g-bells

Green Belt
Reaction score
Size does matter but so does skill and what i believe is most important- mindset!!

Latest Discussions