Is Mr. Parker The Father Of American Karate?

B

Blacktiger2186

Is Mr Parker the Father of American Karate? some kenpo/kempo organizations do think so? why is that?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Orig. posted by Blacktiger2186
Is Mr Parker the Father of American Karate? some kenpo/kempo organizations do think so? why is that?

Nope...........

He correctly is the Father of American Kenpo.

Why, because he was the first to develop AK here on American Soil.

The first true American Martial Art.

:asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...because he invented it.

I don't have the books on me, but I wanted to jump in here before Mr. C. Maybe I'll get another "flight feather." :D

Mr. Parker is the Father of American Karate because he created Kenpo to be useful in the modern American environment.

In "Memories of Ed Parker" he is quoted as saying that he is the Father of American Karate because he did not invent, develop, or propagate a Japanese, Chinese or Okinawan system in America but he Developed a Martial Art in America for use in modern America.

In his Infinite Insights series he also elaborates that his system is so different from what he learned and what came before him that it could have easily bore his name, but he did not want to do that and he preferred to keep the name Kenpo. He says that his art contains concepts, principles and terminology that are not found in other systems.

So he brought it to life in America. He is the Father of American "Karate."

I hope I at least hit all the bases. I know Mr. C will come in soon and be sure they have all been covered. ;)

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I knew Mr. C would rush over here. We seem to have been typing at about the same time. :eek:

I didn't want to edit my previous post but I did leave out on purpose that I and I think Mr. Parker preferred the term Kenpo. However, he does use Karate in print several times and I didn't want to contradict this. It is the reason that I put "Karate" in quotes earlier however. I think that in his later writings he made more of an effort to distinguish Kenpo from Karate and even early on says that he used the word "Karate" in his business sign so people would not think he was selling food. You know, there was nothing to go by, but "Karate" was a term recognized as a Martial Art so it had positive, built-in commercial value. :)

OK. I think I'm done. Sorry, but I was compelled to rush to the cause. :soapbox:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
I always though Mr. Parker was the Father of American Kenpo and Robert Trias was the Father of Karate in America....

I'm sooooooooooooo confused....:confused: :rofl:

OP
S

Scott Bonner

I'm thinking that people are making a distinction between "Father of Karate in America" and "Father of American Karate". Trias is the first and Parker is the second.

Being first is nearly meaningless, anyway. What matters is quality, not how quickly the threw up a shingle and started charging money.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think that the original Trias students lacked quality. It is a totally different art all together.

Besides, Parker was THE first to open a commercial studio in 1954. That is a precident all unto itself.:asian:

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Nope...........

The Kenpo creed mentions Karate, but all the belt pledges there after state American Kenpo is this in correlation to this??? I think you have stated before Mr Parker wanted to drop the karate it was just a word someone could identify with. I personally like American Kenpo better.

OP
S

Scott Bonner

I wasn't trying to imply that Trias students lacked quality. I have no idea. They may have all been godlike martial beasts.

My point was that it's not important. I've heard of cases where people will be pissy with each other because of disputes about who's founder was first -- there's a guy in our tournament circuit who consistently judges people from our school as low as he can get away with, apparently because he thinks his founder was first and gets angry at the idea of Mr. Parker getting credit. The guy is trying to prove something, though I'm not sure what. That's just silly.

In mulling over this situation a few months ago, I realized how little it means to have been first. (Especially since people have been teaching martial arts in the U.S. since the 1920's or before, in the Asian-American communities. They trump all the other claims to be first American martial arts instructors.) It's more important to have quality.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter

The Kenpo creed mentions Karate, but all the belt pledges there after state American Kenpo is this in correlation to this??? I think you have stated before Mr Parker wanted to drop the karate it was just a word someone could identify with. I personally like American Kenpo better.

belt pledge? unless you're calling something by a different name, I don't think my instructor does this...what is it?

OP
B

brianhunter

Mr. C has these on his website if I am not mistaken and you want to read them.

A few are also in the II series (I found some in book 4). They are what I think is getting more into the mental aspect of the art, your pledges gradually evolve as your experience and obligations do in the art and the pledges reflect this.

I guess to sum it up to me its kind of a promise of where you are within the art and what you should be developing or pledging yourself to do.

Mr. Parker also made reference to them being extensions of the kenpo creed to help spiritual character (according to book 4 anyways) someone else coudl probably answer this better and with more experience for you.

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Parker deserved the title father of american martial arts.

no one in this country did more to foster the arts, promote and eccelerate its growth then that man.

the karate chain that the tracy's created in the 60s were born out of working with Parker.

his internationals showcased and brought national attention to every major martial artist of the last 50 years.

he hooked Bruce Lee up with Hollywood-which let to his role as Kato and a huge cult following in the states. when enter the dragon hit the screens- the kung fu craze began.

Inosanto of course was a Parker black belt. JKD

Norris made his name at the internationals-

Joe Lewis, Superfoot Wallace, Benny Urquidez, made their names at the internationals and other Parker sponsored events.

of course- Elvis.

Parker brought the chinese arts to America's attention.

Parker sold Hollywood on the Martial arts and his celebrity students were on TV and Film adding popularity to all the arts.

and he created the first truly mainland American martial art system.

karate, kenpo, chuanfa- different language but mean the same thing essentially.

i say the man is the Father of American Martial Arts and Martial Arts in America.

whatever sounds best to you.

:soapbox:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think if you read some more about Mr. Parker he said he hated having used the term "Karate" but did so because so many knew what it was.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93

I think if you read some more about Mr. Parker he said he hated having used the term "Karate" but did so because so many knew what it was.

To this day you'll see arnis advertised as "Filipino Karate" despite what a stretch that is. It's advertising, and it makes sense, but I assure you that it distresses me.

Wasn't Karate the heading for all martial arts in the Yellow Pages for many years? It's still often Judo-Karate-Kung Fu or the like.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I noticed that the latest yellow pages I have has it listed under martial arts, so there have been some improvements, maybe.

OP
R

RCastillo

"I don't have the books on me, but I wanted to jump in here before Mr. C. Maybe I'll get another "flight feather."

Mr. Hall, you want one of them "Flight Feathers, you gotta stand in line! They ain't cheap, either!:eek:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the word "Karate" still is the one word to use if you have a martial Arts studio and you have limited funds or, you want to get maximum exposure to the vast majority of people to allow them to know what your location is about. Most do not know the difference between "systems". So, once you peak their interest....... you sell them on what it is "exactly" that you teach, and today that is generally several different things!

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Nope...........

This is one Big D and I disagree on and Ed Parker explained it thusly. He is the "Father of American Karate" becuase although pre-dated on the mainland by people like Bob Trias, Ed Parker was the first to create and bring an American version of the martial arts to this country. Prior to that there were those who were teaching, but they were teaching a "transplanted" version of the traditional Asian arts. They essentially taught the same thing but in America. Ed Parker changed that and "Americanized" the arts.

Latest Discussions