Is it Wrong When Free Weight Curls...

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
vKUmKPAMSw7F0-TRbqOaDAVjD8zY6rKj36DxC2bMF1S7RLWeqQhRX8Z-P9MptSHTgEJi9YsQKJVBVs0MvEgfbQvZzEW9NV_OQ5rPUo6vQrJPGQ=w313-h470-nc

I call BS on that. Proper curls need to be done in the squat rack.....

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just knocked off the cobwebs from a 30lb dumbbell that I haven't worked out with in about 20 years. I was expecting for it to be heavy but it wasn't. Things that noticed right away is that I didn't have the weak grip / finger feeling that I had in my 20's when trying to old on. I was expecting to feel that but my grip strength is stronger and my fingers and my hands didn't have any problem to maintain the grip.

I also noticed that the weight didn't feel heavy when I picked it up. I was expecting to feel weighted down but I didn't. My guess is that my legs are much stronger and my core is much stronger and that all of my muscles were working together functionally. In the past when I used to lift weights, there were movements of transitioning that would feel weaker until I could settle into the proper stance for curling standing up. I didn't feel any of that. I was able to to 5 curls with no problem, I'm sure I could have gotten 10, but my elbows felt uncomfortable when curling. I'm pretty sure I was using correct technique so I don't think that was the problem. The area of where the discomfort was is the same area where I damaged my elbows 3 years ago from hyper extended elbows doing Tai Chi. I don't know if that's a scar tissue issue or what but I definitely need to address that issue.

It wasn't bad for 20 years of not weight lifting. It definitely felt like I'm stronger now with curling a 30lbs dumbbell.

Latest Discussions