is "hands up" really neccasary?

M

muayThaiPerson

in my gym, its always "hands up". but when i spar, i can keep my hands at mid level and still have good defenses. also i can throw better punches from there. keeping your hands up only getes ur arms tired and throws predictable punches.

do u guys agree or disagree?:asian:

OP
M

MartialArtist

If it works for you, go for it.

For me, I like to keep mine at chest level. Not at the head, not too low. That's me. There, I can protect my solar plexus, stomach, and my head with ease. If I had it at head level, I can't defend against low shots as well and visa versa.

But I think what they mean by "hands up" is don't keep them at your sides. The only people who puts there hands on the side very relaxed (you should always be relaxed, but relaxed like they got the situation under control) are either...

1. Really good and wants to show something
2. Or just a beginner

OP
A

Angus

In Muay Thai (and boxing in general) you want to have one hand pretty much ON your face at all times. I think you're missing the whole tuck & cover thing. If you get in a fight with a real MT guy and you don't have your hands by your face, he's 1) going to always go there when in tight because you'll always have a much bigger opening, and 2) he'll probably go for the plum, which you DON'T want. Keep your hands up and you can guard from that. Remember, your face is MUCH more of a sensitive knockout area that the sides of your body.

Keep it protected. You're still new, so learn the rules before you do your own thing.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

i guess i am a beginner......what would be considered amatuer? how long would i have to be there to be an amateur?:asian:

OP
A

Angus

Depends on the person. Time isn't the only thing that matters. Why does the label matter?

Point is you should learn the rules their way before you break them, so you understand WHY they have the "rules" the way they do, etc. Just my opinion though. :)

OP
C

Chiduce

Let's take this sparring association to the real world. A good street fighter is going to come at you with an array of violent brutal punches and strikes to the mid and upper torso, not to mention head and neck jerking shots usually in combination until you are down. So, those good sparring habits of keeping the hands up will reflect themselves in the real violent attack. This will give the defender time to block, trap, dodge, parry, and counter-strike to set him/her up for the finishing hand/arm breaks, kicking breaks, and throws etc, which will allow escape routes in ending the brutal encounter!
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

OP
J

J-kid

70% of people in real fights are head hunters. If your hands are at your chest you get hit in the head. SO keep them up and stay safe/

OP
A

Angus

What's the source for that statistic. Seems like BS to me. How can you calculate that?!

OP
J

J-kid

From street fighters , Well in the us anyhow. everyone gos for the head/

OP
C

CHUNNER

In Wing Chun as you know we focus a lot on controlling the centreline. The way I put it to students is that in order for a junior grade to control the centreline he or she must be on it. An advanced grade can control it without being on it.

A junior student has not built up the automatic responses to an opponents movement so their reaction times to an attack are usually slower therefore for them to defend themselves they will have to keep their guard up. (there are always exceptional students I accept that)

A senior grade has experienced many more attacks so his /her reaction times are faster and conditioned reflexes more appropriate.

Senior grades sometime use a dropped or non existent guard as a drawing technique to open an opponent up.

In summary I teach students to keep their guard up until they are advanced enough not to need to.

OP
S

sammy3170

Originally posted by muayThaiPerson

in my gym, its always "hands up". but when i spar, i can keep my hands at mid level and still have good defenses. also i can throw better punches from there. keeping your hands up only getes ur arms tired and throws predictable punches.

Sparring does not directly transcend to the street. In the street you only have to keep up your hands for as long as the attacker is in front of you not for six 2 minute rounds so tiredness isn't really a factor in the street. In sparring keeping your hands up keeps your head safe and you throw more powerful punches not lazy *** punches like some cocky Muhammed Ali wanna be (being one of the few people who could get away with it). We have a saying where I train - Cover your face with your fists or you opponent will cover your face with his fists.

Just some thoughts
Cheers
Sammy

OP
T

tonbo

I keep my hands "generally" about centerline. Most important to me is that I try to keep my hands *moving* instead of static. I don't like to keep "predictable" openings out there as an invitation.

Yeah, I say that......but I don't always manage to do it.....sometimes, I just start *thinking*, and then, well.....my hands just stay put....;)

Anyway, I think keeping your hands up is a good idea, as you can cover much more that way, and your blocks are generally there more if you need them.

That having been said, however, I would say go with what works for you. That seems to always be decent advice..;)

Peace--

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think alot of it has to do with what is natural to you. I kep my hands generally centerline and above, but really far out. Alot of distacne between my face/body and my hands. You can't change your style to just what you feel comfortable with, you have to make yourslef change a bit, but to some degree it will not work if you are not comfortable with it.

jmo
7sm

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Judo-kid

70% of people in real fights are head hunters. If your hands are at your chest you get hit in the head. SO keep them up and stay safe/
Real fights are different. Some people are smarter than others. If you have your hands up, they won't go for the face. If you have your hands low, they go elsewhere.

OP
S

Shinzu

i keep my hands centered. not up real high, but not too low either. feel i have more awareness and control at this point.

i think that the whole "keep your hands up" is a constant reminder from instructors. so many students will tend to drop their hands when they kick, or use them to retain their balance.

by someone saying this out loud it is a reminder for those that do have their hands down. it makes them aware of where their hands are and their need to correct this problem. i think it is a good thing.

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by muayThaiPerson

Hands up or at least one in front of your face. A kick to the head unchecked will cause damage if not a KO. Can sap your strength etc. Same goes for a punch.

You are more predictable with hands down- says you are mostly offensive. A well rounded fighter will pick up on this in a round or two if not sooner. Then he will begin to draw your hand further away and create very large holes from which to attack.

For the street- once aggression comes your way either remove yourself or engage before the other guy knows what hit him. I would advise against any kind of recognizable fight posture. More than likely he will have some associates around. So action needs to be swift and decisive.

A very good topic:asian:

OP
S

sammy3170

I think most people in here are referring to sparring. In a self defence situation my hands would always begin in a neutral position from which I can defend yet is non threatening

Cheers
Sammy

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ya he's talking about fighting in the ring Muay Thai style. For those that don't know MT keeps the hands up in front of you palms outwards or towards eachother and slightly higher than your eyes leaving your forearms protecting your face and upper chest. Its very hard to keep them like that for the 3 minute rounds.

KEEP THOSE HANDS UP! Theres a reason for that, you haven't been knocked out yet so you dont know the reason yet haha but you'll learn if you keep at it! Most people in Muay Thai learn the hard way why we keep our hands up so high, you can be one of those people or you can keep those hands up now and save yourself the trouble. In Muay Thai the shin kicks to the head area are actually aimed at your neck.... think on that, theres been ring deaths from catching that kick in the neck. I know its tiring and hard to keep the hands up the whole round every round but in the end youll have an advantage over the others that get tired and start to drop their hands, if you see the hands go down you go after that head!

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I keep the hands held high, use the elbows to protect the body. Also I watch some K-1 fights on ESPN, these guys had their hands high. Some of them got knock down or knock out with shin kicks to the head. Can't remember the one guy from Canada, he won the K-1 tounament, but he sure could kick. I believe it to be a personal feel, each person has there own way.
Bob :asian:

OP
T

tmanifold

Mike MacDonald. He used to train with My instructor at my old kickboxing gyms, sometimes. He is real good. I watched him in a muay thai fight one time his leg kicks made me wince.

Tony

Latest Discussions