stereotypes

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know that thread was locked, with good reason from what I read. I just wanted to throw in there that I hate it when people find out you're in martial arts and then tell you "Oh really, I have a black belt in______, or " I know someone that is a registered lethal weapon." The lethal weapon thing gets me every time, real quick conversational ender. OK, I feel much better now. :)

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KENPO_CORY

I know that thread was locked, with good reason from what I read. I just wanted to throw in there that I hate it when people find out you're in martial arts and then tell you "Oh really, I have a black belt in______, or " I know someone that is a registered lethal weapon." The lethal weapon thing gets me every time, real quick conversational ender. OK, I feel much better now. :)

If you're in the U.S. (and by your profile, you are :)), and if someone uses that 'registered lethal weapon' BS, you can use that as a clear sign that they have no idea what they're talking about. Unless something has changed drastically in the past few years, no U.S. state requires a black belt (or any other rank for that matter) to register themselves as a 'lethal weapon'. That is a pure and outright myth, and if someone tells you that, they're lying or don't know any better.

I have seen reports of disreputable schools telling their students that when they get their black belts, they have to pay such-and-such fee for their registration as black belts and as 'lethal weapons' with the local authorities. If you hear a school tell you this, have a nice hearty laugh and leave.

Cthulhu
@work and grumpy

OP
kenpo_cory

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu

If you're in the U.S. (and by your profile, you are :)), and if someone uses that 'registered lethal weapon' BS, you can use that as a clear sign that they have no idea what they're talking about. Unless something has changed drastically in the past few years, no U.S. state requires a black belt (or any other rank for that matter) to register themselves as a 'lethal weapon'. That is a pure and outright myth, and if someone tells you that, they're lying or don't know any better.

I have seen reports of disreputable schools telling their students that when they get their black belts, they have to pay such-and-such fee for their registration as black belts and as 'lethal weapons' with the local authorities. If you hear a school tell you this, have a nice hearty laugh and leave.

Cthulhu
@work and grumpy

Exactly. I asked my instructor, who is a 7th degree black belt in american kenpo, and he said that in the 28+ years of his training he has never heard of anyone registering themselves as a weapon. :shrug:

M

muayThaiPerson

i once walked into a store with my Muay Thai clothes and ppl were just eyeing me. i felt so wierd. i wasnt starting trouble! i was a normal customer just like any one else was

:(

K

kenposcum

Don't feel bad when you're in uniform, in public. Pretend that they're all staring because:
a) your awesome ch'i has drawn their eyes like moths to a flame;
b) they can clearly see the spirit of Wong Fei Hung shining through you;
c) you're just THAT good-looking;
d) you are a kung fu villain and they don't want you to terrorize their shop.

I usually end up teaching on Halloween and then I go to some party or another. Recently, I haven't even been changing...I just go to the party as a martial artist. The one time out of the year where you don't look out of place in public, in a gi.
:asian:

M

muayThaiPerson

"Don't feel bad when you're in uniform, in public. Pretend that they're all staring because:
a) your awesome ch'i has drawn their eyes like moths to a flame;
b) they can clearly see the spirit of Wong Fei Hung shining through you;
c) you're just THAT good-looking;
d) you are a kung fu villain and they don't want you to terrorize their shop.

I usually end up teaching on Halloween and then I go to some party or another. Recently, I haven't even been changing...I just go to the party as a martial artist. The one time out of the year where you don't look out of place in public, in a gi."

that was a great post. the thought had never crossed my mind of being a MAist during halloween. thanks for the idea!!

but people are going to be asking "whats Muay Thai?"
:asian:

T

tonbo

So I was *lied* to? I don't *have* to register as a "deadly weapon"?

#$*(&@#(^!(&*!@#!

And here I was, thinking I was all cool......finally getting respect.....and I find out now that it was a *joke*??

I guess next you'll be telling me that the Black Belt course I took from that company advertising in my comic books is not legit, either.....

It ISN'T?? :eek:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, I actually had someone ask me about the whole "deadly weapon" registration thing. I told them that, while the whole thing may sound neat, they would be laughed out of the police station if they ever went to register like that.

Urban legends. Eeesh. They're gonna get someone hurt, one day...;)

Peace--

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I had some guy the other day talking about how if he put his hands in his pockets it was like carrying concealed deadly weapons!! The bad part was he was serious!!:rofl: :rofl:

This is also the guy who was challenging everyone he could make eye contact with! It was truly a great time to watch him. I love watching stupid people, they make me laugh!

7sm

M

muayThaiPerson

i love to see non MAist act tough and dangerous. it makes me laugh:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: