Is chamber "leakage" OK in sparring?

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi there good folks. I show the sequence below. Ball of the foot roundhouse in the example but it doesn't matter which tool that is being used

It definitely adds power since the foot is released sooner and allowed to accelerate (instead of just twisting a tucked knee and then extending), but are there too many drawbacks in sparring?

It is common?

Thanks.

Attachments

• _20210830_130512.JPG
    _20210830_130512.JPG
    297.7 KB · Views: 92
  • _20210830_141138.JPG
    _20210830_141138.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20210830-131950.png
    Screenshot_20210830-131950.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Or maybe it's not leakage since I'm kicking to an angle instead of to the center line? Maybe it should be released round about there?

Am I confused?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi there good folks. I show the sequence below. Ball of the foot roundhouse in the example but it doesn't matter which tool that is being used

It definitely adds power since the foot is released sooner and allowed to accelerate (instead of just twisting a tucked knee and then extending), but are there too many drawbacks in sparring?

It is common?

Thanks.
I feel there may be some differences in communication here. I am not certain what you mean by leakage. The low knee chamber is very easy to stuff and block simply by stepping into the attack before it has time to constitute.
It is very common for people the think they are in a good chambered because their foot is hitting their butt, which is what I see in the photos. The knee can often be just as much about defensive posture as the offensive strike, which is especially true in rotational kicks.
Look at your shoulders and right arm especially pictures 2 & 3. They are literally canceling out the force of the kick. Your upper body is in a pretty good position (relative to vertical) but the shoulders should be more in line with the kicking leg and the right arm should be over more and in a blocking position. See how open your body is in picture #2? You would be tagged before you ever got to the position in the 3rd photo. This is the effects of upper body and lead arm position.
It may more be the camera angle but it looks like the kick is lacking rotation a little. Even when kicking off center (which is what I believe you mean in 'kicking to an angle) the knee motion is near identical.

Last edited:
OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel there may be some differences in communication here. I am not certain what you mean by leakage. The low knee chamber is very easy to stuff and block simply by stepping into the attack before it has time to constitute.
It is very common for people the think they are in a good chambered because their foot is hitting their butt, which is what I see in the photos. The knee can often be just as much about defensive posture as the offensive strike, which is especially true in rotational kicks.
Look at your shoulders and right arm especially pictures 2 & 3. They are literally canceling out the force of the kick. Your upper body is in a pretty good position (relative to vertical) but the shoulders should be more in line with the kicking leg and the right arm should be over more and in a blocking position. See how open your body is in picture #2? You would be tagged before you ever got to the position in the 3rd photo. This is the effects of upper body and lead arm position.
It may more be the camera angle but it looks like the kick is lacking rotation a little. Even when kicking off center (which is what I believe you mean in 'kicking to an angle) the knee motion is near identical.

Okay but not what I asked about

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

It is common?

Thanks.
To be honest the only way to really know is to give it a try in sparring. The type of question your are asking has too many elements that would influence how well or how powerful the technique would be. You can have a powerful kick in demonstration that is totally useless in sparring and fighting. The biggest draw back to any technique in sparring is if the person can actually do the technique in sparring.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's not clear what you're asking. What do you mean by chamber leakage?
I'm assuming that it's a kick that isn't chambered perfectly, as one done in practice. My personal experience is that chambering kicks isn't just about power. It makes the kick harder to read. My assumption is that when we spar, out brains have a harder time calculating the direction of chambered kicks..

Chambering a kick also gives you the opportunity to make any last minute changes to morph one kick into another kick.. The OP post is as a question of Power and if it works in sparring and to me that's like a class within itself. I don't think there's an easy answer to that once it references sparring

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shin/foot prematurely released from the chamber
This is not always the same answer when sparring is taking into consideration, since it could be a matter of timing. There may be no real answer to your question. You are taking a movement that you are doing solo and asking if that movement has any downsides in sparring. Sparring is the variable. When you release a kick is also a variable. How fast or slow your opponent is will influence how you release a kick. Your ability to time the kick will also do the same thing. Need more time to kick, then you'll either kick earlier or you'll need to speed up the kick.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shin/foot prematurely released from the chamber
It's the power and speed trade off.

Sometime a partial power generated kick that land is better than a full power generate kick that hit into the thin air.

In sparring, you may want to use several un-chamber kick to set up a full chamber kick. The chamber kick can be telegraph and should be hided by un-chamber kicks.

You can see a partial chamber kick in the following clip.

https://i.postimg.cc/fLGNW7Cy/alex-kick-combo.gif

Last edited:

Koryuhoka

Orange Belt
Reaction score

It is common?

Thanks.
Sometimes you have to, for whatever reason - so you can get there first, after the opponent attacks.

But a "chamber" for a kick is teaching things that are not so obvious. Each part of the mechanics of a kick has its own individual task, aside from being an integral part of a complete technique.

A kamikaze attack could sometimes be a boon, and sometimes turn out to be a liability.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you look at this full power generation punch (the following clip). Each punch takes about 1 second to complete. In a fight, you just don't have that 1 full second to generate your 100% power.

Each punch (or kick) is a compress and a release. If the compressing take too much time, it won't work in fighting. Of course if you move your shoulder back (or chamber your kick) before your punch (or your kick), you can generate maximum power. But do you have time to do that in fighting?

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is chamber leakage okay in sparring?

Depends.

(sorry, couldn't resist.)
ha ha ha.. well it does. The one answer that is correct 90% of the time is also the irritating answer for many. How long does it take to travel from New York to California?
Correct answer: Depends lol.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ha ha ha.. well it does. The one answer that is correct 90% of the time is also the irritating answer for many. How long does it take to travel from New York to California?
Correct answer: Depends lol.
Yeah, but I was using the word "depends" in a different way. :)

Apologies.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
speed up the kick.
When you throw a right roundhouse kick, do you coordinate it with your left arm movement?

I like to coordinate my right

- hip with my left shoulder.
- knee with my left elbow.
- foot with my left hand.

So if I want to kick my right roundhouse kick fast, I just move my left hand fast from my left side of my head to the right side of my head.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

It is common?

Thanks.
I'm not really sure what you're asking, and still pictures don't really help much. But...
You describe the kick as moving upwards at an angle. That's fine. The angled roundhouse kick will be a bit faster than one moving parallel to the ground. It's great for targeting the midsection/ribs. But you will pretty much never be able to reach the head. Because their arms are in the way.
I don't know what style you're training. But I teach the parallel to the ground roundhouses for kicking the head and for forms. The angled kick for sparring when you're targeting the torso.

Latest Discussions