IRO-Bot will never kill...

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello. My name is Doug, and I've had an interested in martial arts all of my life, but I never got into them until just recently.
I know that, after reading the thread about USSD, I may or may not get a lot of flak, but I don't care at this point.
I started at United Studios of Self Defense in Bountiful, Utah just over five months ago. It was the best decision that I'd made in my life up to that point. I loved the classmates, and my instructor is a great martial artist, an inspirational motivational speaker, and a wonderful teacher. Seems to be a rarity amongst USSD schools from what I've read. Actually, while we do have many unexperienced instructors here in Utah, myself included (yes, I'm one of those guys who joined the "Instructor's training camp" and got my instructor rank in a week), we also have some incredible instructors. My own instructor, Mr. Ryan Whittaker, is amongst them.
I loved every bit of my training as far as I went as a student, and then I got into the Instructors' Academy. I tested for my next rank that very week and skipped purple belt. It was a boost to my ego at that point, but also a bit intimidating. The whole experience was.
As time went on over the last few weeks, I started learning things about United Studios that I was better off not knowing. I had policies forced upon me that I don't agree with. And I'm losing more money than I'm earning.
I've recently made the decision to quit as an instructor. I'm not cut out for it, first of all, I can't afford it, second, and there are many personal reasons inolved.
I feel that my training will be more complete with a systematic approach as opposed to the approach that one recieves in the Academy. Basically it's, "here, catch!"... And it doesn't work for me.
Also, I don't want any part of the internal and external politics of the system. I joined this school to study martial arts, not to be a businessman.
To top it all off, they don't want instructors spending any outside time with other instructors or students. Being that I was close friends with most of the students before I became an instructor, that was the blade that cut deepest. It makes it near impossible to date one of my (former, and hopefully future) fellow students who--despite policy--I've been growing closer to in time.
Overall, the USSD Instructors' College is ruining USSD for me.
In truth, I was going to quit today. But my wonderful instructor happened to have something come up and was gone before I got to the dojo. Now I have to wait until Monday.
There are some things that I'm afraid of when I do quit, however. I'm afraid to be stuck with a $15,000 (yes, fifteen grand) bill that I can not afford. On another scale, I'm afraid of losing the respect of my instructor who has helped me so much since the day I met him.

Anyway, now you know how I was introduced to the martial arts. You know my experience with United Studios. Know, also, that if things go reletively smoothly, I intend to return to USSD in my former place as a student where I can rightfully earn the blue belt that I have, and then continue on through the ranks. From there, I'll see how long USSD can hold my loyalty, as at this point it's rather brittle.
If things don't work out, however, I'd like to find another school in my area. I would love to find a Kajukenbo school, but I don't think there are even any in all of Utah, let alone my area. Other than that, there are other Kempo (Shaolin and American) schools around here that I could explore.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!! Feel free to post any Kenpo related questions in the Kenpo areas we have. There are alot of folks here that have alot to offer in that area. :)

Mike

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, welcome to Martial Talk, and happy posting! :wavey:

It's too bad that your passion was met with what sounds like a horrible repayment. Sadly, you are not the only person who has had a similar experience - and it is hardly unique to the USSD. I don't have any real advice about the bill, except to seek the advice of a lawyer (from what you said, I'm assuming some form of contract is involved) - but if your instructor is anywhere near as good as you say he is, then he will understand and welcome you back; for your sake, I hope he will. Please keep us up to date on what is happening and how things are going for you.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Marial Talk. I too am sorry for the poor introduction you've had to martial arts as you sound like a very dedicated student. I hope you will find a solution in which you can throughly enjoy your path in training. :asian:

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT and I hope you enjoy it here! I can only echo what has already been said about your situation. I hope it works out well for you in the end!

Jeff

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
After I got my blue belt my instructor asked me if I was interested in joining the instructors academy, but when I was told about the $15 g's it cost I said no thank you.

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk. You'll find many good people here. I don't anything about USSD & what I am trying to figure out is why you would have to pay to be an instructor or quit being an instructor.

OP
IRO-Bot

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk. You'll find many good people here. I don't anything about USSD & what I am trying to figure out is why you would have to pay to be an instructor or quit being an instructor.

Here's the run-down: The USSD Instructor Academy costs $15,000. Outrageous, I know. I don't even know what compelled me to think that I could ever afford it in the first place. Seems kind of silly, now. Actually, it enfuriates me.
The reason I may have to pay it after I quit, is because I signed paperwork. They may hold me to said paperwork. While I've only been in the Instructor Academy for a little over a month and will gladly pay for the time that I was there, they may see fit to charge me the full amount.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greeting, IRO-Bot---welcome to MT, we're very glad to have you here, and it's really a rotten deal that you got, from what you say. It's awful that your first contact with the MA started like this---there are many very good schools and first class instructors around, and it sounds like you were unlucky enough to encounter an unusually bad deal at the outset. I really hope that you wind up coming out without getting taken advantage of as badly as your description indicates---as someone suggested in an earlier post, it would be very much worth your while getting some legal counsel on where you stand. Let us know how this plays out...

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey Doug if you decide to keep up with martial arts, check out a place called Arrowhead in Sugarhouse, they teach American Kenpo and probably charge only half of what ussd charges, and free belt tests for beginners.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT :wavey: , I am glad some bad experiences aren't driving you off from MA!!!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since the others have already said what I was going to all I can offer is my greetings and welcome to MT...

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here's the run-down: The USSD Instructor Academy costs $15,000. Outrageous, I know. I don't even know what compelled me to think that I could ever afford it in the first place. Seems kind of silly, now. Actually, it enfuriates me.
The reason I may have to pay it after I quit, is because I signed paperwork. They may hold me to said paperwork. While I've only been in the Instructor Academy for a little over a month and will gladly pay for the time that I was there, they may see fit to charge me the full amount.

Hey IRO-bot,
I used to be with ussd and this and other problems is why I left them.
USSD lie's where they came from. They came from Grand Master Fred Villari. Ask your instructor about him. They push people threw the ranks so they will run a school. I am glad you left their college before you got in too deep. I've seen a lot off people go broke working for ussd.

If you quit there is a ussd-villari breakoff school there called shaolin arts
www.shaolinarts.com

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, IRO-bot! Glad you are still in Martial Arts, and glad you joined us here! :)

OP
IRO-Bot

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So I quit my position as an instructor today. And then I joined them for class. I felt a lot more at home as a student than I ever did as an instructor. I personally think that my instructor is one of the only United Studios instructors that's worth anything (maybe not $200 a month...), even in Utah, which has some of the better instructors.
I'll probably stick with it for a while... If I can handle it I'll try for my Shodan with them.
But I've developed an immense interest in Kara-Ho, and in meeting Shihan Mendoza in Salt Lake. So, while my initial dilemma is solved, I have something of a new one.
But then, I'm only 20 (21 on Wednesday). I've plenty of time left.

We'll see...

Latest Discussions