Iraq

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It seems like there is an average of 2 troops killed each day since the direct combat ended.

Without getting into the political/opinion areas (cuz I think most of us have already been there n all) can anyone point me at additional info?

Is this 2/day a normal post-conquest number, high/low, etc? It -sounds- bad, especially the way some news agencies are reporting it, but I want to know the reality of the situation.

Thanks!

http://www.strategypage.com/fyeo/qndguide/default.asp?target=Iraq
June 26, 2003: The Baath party struck again today, killing two American troops, kidnapping two more and wounding ten. The Baath is offering rewards (in US currency) of up to several thousand dollars for killing American troops. Lesser rewards are given for wounding Americans. It's not known what a kidnapping pays. Iranian radio and television, controlled by Islamic conservatives, supports Baath by playing up absurd rumors (like the US is turning the electricity off, not Baath sabotage.) Baath has gotten the Western media to talk excitedly about Iraq as "another Vietnam." This is the fantasy Baath wants to perpetuate and, as in the past, it has gotten many in the Western media to cooperate.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing to bear in mind is that we hear about every death there, including every death by car accident--one must adjust for the number of people in the U.S. in the soldiers' age bracket that die by car accidents, disease, random violence, etc., to get a fair judgment.

But in Iraq there are still those fighting, plus the instability--it's still dangerous.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something that I think also need to be addressed is the fact that many of the die-hards are hiding, and using guerilla tactics. That, combined with over 40 years of brainwashing, and having more weapons per sq. foot than most would expect, makes for a very hostile situation.

My heart goes out to those folks over there. Thats a level of stress and uncertainty I hope to never see.

:(

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think we are ripe for a Tet offensive type deal. I don't want to see it, but the idea knaws at the back of my mind.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One idly wonders what rules of engagement the troops are under at this point. Is there a reluctance to take defensive action for fear of penalty for example?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wish the best for our troops and pray for a safe return.:asian: :asian:

Latest Discussions