Introducing the puke-saber...

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
By the same token, it allows the use of incapacitating force in situations where it otherwise couldn't have been. There are situations every year where cops couldn't stop somebody from hurting people because they were afraid a missed bullet would hit some bystander.

That's not a problem with a weapon like this, or the similar sonic units. Collateral damage with this thing means you buy somebody a new suit. Definitely superior is a certain range of situations to handguns, probably superior in that range to tazers.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, it's good that people are trying to develop nonlethal weapons--we have to allow them some room for experimentation.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Respectfully, I do not agree at all.

I don't think police now would use bullets in the examples I cited. Indeed, existing nonlethal weapons do not pose the risks I cited and would get the job done.

If that light beam incapacitates a passing driver or a construction crew, the "new suit" needed could well be for the funeral home.

Other than a prison situation, I find this device offers little we do not already have.

And - If this ever got outside LEO and was sold in the public domain, I would expect widespread misuse.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
By the same token, it allows the use of incapacitating force in situations where it otherwise couldn't have been. There are situations every year where cops couldn't stop somebody from hurting people because they were afraid a missed bullet would hit some bystander.

That's not a problem with a weapon like this, or the similar sonic units. Collateral damage with this thing means you buy somebody a new suit. Definitely superior is a certain range of situations to handguns, probably superior in that range to tazers.

I do wonder though if the police would be more likely to abuse non-lethal weaponry b/cause of a combination of: a) a perception that the effects are minimal and transitory, and b) point and shoot weapons being easy to use. However, all sorts of things can happen... heart attacks with tasers (think i recall reading that there has been another taser death in the US during the last few days?), possibility of seizures in epileptics with this "vomit light" thing. And what about the effects of repeated use on someone? Who knows if it might change something in the brain and trigger illness over time? IMHO it's a weapon and deserves the respect due to a weapon... it's not just something you'd use indiscriminantly and it's certainly not a joke.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Less lethal weapons are a great tool, in the right place.

But until we get something like a phaser that'll incapacitate someone with minimal injury at relatively long ranges, with very high reliability, they're also dangerous.

The public sees Tasers, OC, Vomit-flashlights, sticky foam... They don't understand that most times when less lethal options fit -- lethal options are essential backups. There's also a simple decision-block effect. We're giving cops so many things to choose from that under pressure, they can't figure out what to use! It's bad when a new martial arts student freezes up and can't figure out which step or block to use... It's thousands of times worse when someone's REALLY trying to hurt or kill you!

And -- yep, cops would be hesitant to use something that guarantees they'll have to clean up puke. It ain't fun cleaning up your own puke. It's not fun cleaning up your kid's puke. It's LOTS less fun cleaning up someone else's puke -- especially if they've been drinking.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
how about prank light bulbs that emit the same color :) Change your roommate's lamps while he is out...

Ella

<B>Banned User - Multiple Accounts / Previously Ba
Reaction score
surely not your roomate... cuz it'd be in YOUR place.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
maybe just the reading lamp by his bed.

but wouldn't this be fun to take to a rave.

or if you put one in your fridge, instant diet.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do wonder though if the police would be more likely to abuse non-lethal weaponry b/cause of a combination of: a) a perception that the effects are minimal and transitory, and b) point and shoot weapons being easy to use. However, all sorts of things can happen... heart attacks with tasers (think i recall reading that there has been another taser death in the US during the last few days?), possibility of seizures in epileptics with this "vomit light" thing. And what about the effects of repeated use on someone? Who knows if it might change something in the brain and trigger illness over time? IMHO it's a weapon and deserves the respect due to a weapon... it's not just something you'd use indiscriminantly and it's certainly not a joke.

I wonder about this too - especially the part about epileptics; I had a coworker who had to find a different job because the florescent lights could trigger seizures, and so can those blue headlights on some cars.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Firstly, let me say my comment was a wry one.

Secondly, I think there have been many well-publicized firearm accidents where people and young kids were "playing around" with them or "making a joke" ... adding to the wryness of my comment.

And, finally, if this is to be used as an LTL technology weapon, then the abuse of it *should* be considered on the same level as abuse of tasers.

Let's consider this:

We know that in certain individuals certain color and sound stimuli can bring about seizure as can, of course, electrical. Therefore, this LTL tool has the potential of having health risk associated with it just as the others do.

I wonder about this too - especially the part about epileptics; I had a coworker who had to find a different job because the florescent lights could trigger seizures, and so can those blue headlights on some cars.
Good to know I wasn't the only one thinking about this - though I wonder if potential damage to epileptics would be considered "an acceptable risk"?

OP
CoryKS

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good to know I wasn't the only one thinking about this - though I wonder if potential damage to epileptics would be considered "an acceptable risk"?

Judging from the intensity of the flashing lights they put on police cars, I would be surprised to learn that they took epilepsy under consideration. I'm not epileptic but those lights just about set me off.

Latest Discussions