Interview Questions

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Free country? When did you start believing that?
And if it was a free country then I should be allowed to call anyone an idiot, including you. Idiot

Joab: This calling people idiots really show a lack of maturity on your part.

I'm sure that if a martial artist who does exactly the same art as you, tried to open in your hall without any discussion, I'm sure you wouldn't mind (rolleyes)

Joab: I wouldn't like it, but I wouldn't call him an idiot.

As it is, the point is, I spent a long time building up advertising for that hall, and my issue mainly was that people would get confused as to which style was which (before I trained in kung fu, I thought all kung fu was the same)

Joab: Glad to hear you now understand that not all Kung Fu is the same.

When I rang the guy to have a friendly chat about the situation, he was a jerk. I pointed out that the situation wouldn't benefit either of us and he turned round and said 'I've had people come down to my school before to challenge me and I've dealt with them'

Joab: Calling a fellow martial arts teacher a jerk is further exposing yourself as rather immature, perhaps too immature to teach martial arts, I won't take any classes from you.

People who know me know that I'm reasonable. At the hall I teach from, there are kickboxing lessons and a karate school who do it during the week
I have no problem with this. The main problem stemmed from his advertising which listed 'wing chun' everywhere and was formatted in the same style as ours. It would be like using a KFC outlet as a Dallas chicken during the week.

Joab: Granted, he shouldn't have done that.

As it was, I wasn't greatly bothered (ie if the guy really wanted to teach there then so be it - I'm not a bully), but the guy's attitude really stank.

Joab: And your attitude smells good?

Nico, I have no idea what your problem is - I expect you are probably his student or something, either way your comment was just pointless. If you truly believe what you say, then you are someone I really have no time for

Joab: I think you have some problems of your own with maturity, attitude and the like.

ps Thankyou to dungeonworks

Glad to hear your thankful at times.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Firstly - calling another instructor an idiot is not immature at all
If that was the case, you guys have not been training in martial arts very long

I think some of you need to venture out of dojos where people walk on water and chop metal in two with their hands and get real

The world is full of fake instructors, idiot instructors, instructors with dangerous attitudes and the quicker you guys recognise that the better

If someone is an idiot in a phone conversation with me, then I'm not exactly gonna be nice about the guy. If you think that's immature, then some of you truly need to get into the real world

Instructors I train and work with have a no BS, protective attitude. I don't wanna see instructors (supposedly head instructor) starting trouble at other schools. That is a whole lot more immature and messed up than the use of the word 'idiot'

Most of you know that I'm an honest, straight talking guy, and I will say that I have no idea on the level of the guys skill with regards to martial arts. My concern lies solely with the guys attitude. Yes he speaks perfect english and yes he understood everything I was saying

I reiterated numerous times that it wasnt a dong sao or anything like that, but he kept saying things like, well if it was you wouldn't last two seconds!

People who know me know that I can handle myself but would never actively seek someone out. I offered the guy help and he was generally just pretty idiotic about the whole thing. Hence my use of the word idiot

Anyway, this is boring me now. My point was that if you're doing an interview with the guy, just be wary because he didn't come across as a nice guy that was all. I hate seeing people get crestfallen because they meet their heroes and realise they are jerks
Like when my mate met Carrie Fisher at a convention and she didn't even look at him.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I can take this thread a little off topic, the interview has been posted here.
Question 7. I see you in Ip Man 2, AceHBK. You'll have to post your demo reel here first though :D

Thanks! Hey great interview. Now it makes me want to ask some more questions. Looks like I need to get a demo reel done to see if I can get in the movie. I wouldn't mind Donnie Yen beating me up a good number of time.

Thanks for the opportunity to ask questions!

Latest Discussions