Instructor hurt me with a pressure point to eye

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just got back from a lengthy discussion with him. I think we got through to one another about our feelings and concerns. He was very concerned and said if he felt he had hurt me, he apoligized. It was very genuine. He did stand behind the fact that he knew exactly what he was doing and knew he would not injury me. I then explained how he had not done it to anyone else, and he believed that I had the ability to endure it, but he did understand and should genuine concern. We both agreed that this was a growing experience for both of us and I will continue to train with him as I believe he is in fact, a difficult teacher, yet a very good one.

That's good news. I'm glad you worked it out. Good luck with your training. :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad everything worked out!
icon14.gif

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Good job of not having a knee jerk reaction and being mature and talking with him about it. You proved to him and yourself your the upfront honest adult. Good luck, and maybe next time you go to class you can come in wearing goggles (just kidding!)

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Do yourself a BIG favor............Find another school.........

Several have stated that this should not have happened. Regardless of any attitude some may feel you have shown via your posts, a disciplined and caring instructor should never inflict potential serious pain and or damage to a student. As for his statement that he knew what he was doing and that he would not cause you injury, was just a load of defensive crap because you called him on his actions. Soft tissue areas respond differently from person to person and eyes are not the strongest body parts. You could have lost that eye. Consider yourself and him very lucky that it did not happen.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a difference between hurting and injuring. Getting hurt is part of any physical activity. Getting injured isn't. When your hurt there's pain, but it goes away shortly after. Getting injured causes serious, lasting harm. If you believe he meant to injure you...find a different instructor. Regardless, if you don't enjoy his instructing and enviroment...leave.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do yourself a BIG favor............Find another school.........

Several have stated that this should not have happened. Regardless of any attitude some may feel you have shown via your posts, a disciplined and caring instructor should never inflict potential serious pain and or damage to a student. As for his statement that he knew what he was doing and that he would not cause you injury, was just a load of defensive crap because you called him on his actions. Soft tissue areas respond differently from person to person and eyes are not the strongest body parts. You could have lost that eye. Consider yourself and him very lucky that it did not happen.
I think you are over reacting. It was only an eye poke.
Sean

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just got back from a lengthy discussion with him. I think we got through to one another about our feelings and concerns. He was very concerned and said if he felt he had hurt me, he apoligized. It was very genuine. He did stand behind the fact that he knew exactly what he was doing and knew he would not injury me. I then explained how he had not done it to anyone else, and he believed that I had the ability to endure it, but he did understand and should genuine concern. We both agreed that this was a growing experience for both of us and I will continue to train with him as I believe he is in fact, a difficult teacher, yet a very good one.

That is great news that it all worked out Angel!

I hope you keep posting to share how your training is going. :)

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score

:erg: only an eye poke!.......... and nothing remotely serious could ever result from only an eye poke, uh! OK!....:shrug: What ever was I thinking...:confused:

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You know your instructor best but he does this on a frequent basis, like an Alpha male showing who is the boss, then it might be time to look somewhere else. If it was an accident - and God knows they happen - then no big deal.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

:erg: only an eye poke!.......... and nothing remotely serious could ever result from only an eye poke, uh! OK!....:shrug: What ever was I thinking...:confused:
This the "Martial" arts. Its good to feel an eye poke once in a while. Its good to train with that pain. How are you going to survive a street encounter if you want to take your ball and go home once it happens. If it drags your attitude down, its an issue that needs to be faced.
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This the "Martial" arts. Its good to feel an eye poke once in a while. Its good to train with that pain. How are you going to survive a street encounter if you want to take your ball and go home once it happens. If it drags your attitude down, its an issue that needs to be faced.
Sean

Sean

Sorry Sean, I have to disagree. As I said, I've had my share of bumps, bruises, cuts and scrapes, but I don't know about you, but I have a job that I need to go to everyday. I need my eyes, my ears, my arms, and legs. I'm not saying that we shouldn't kick up the pace a bit during training, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. So, going on your post, we should all train knife disarms full speed with a real blade, and if my partner gets it good in the gut, well, too bad because thats what'll happen in the real world?

Sorry to come off harsh, but I just can't see the logic in your posts.

Mike

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry Sean, I have to disagree. As I said, I've had my share of bumps, bruises, cuts and scrapes, but I don't know about you, but I have a job that I need to go to everyday. I need my eyes, my ears, my arms, and legs. I'm not saying that we shouldn't kick up the pace a bit during training, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. So, going on your post, we should all train knife disarms full speed with a real blade, and if my partner gets it good in the gut, well, too bad because thats what'll happen in the real world?

Sorry to come off harsh, but I just can't see the logic in your posts.

Mike
The eyes and groin get hit all the time. The instructor didn't intend harm or the guy would missing an eye. The truth is there is no preparing for blade or bullet wounds. You can't so why try. The eyes are gonna take a hit once in a while. Its something you shouldn't freak out over.
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The eyes and groin get hit all the time. The instructor didn't intend harm or the guy would missing an eye. The truth is there is no preparing for blade or bullet wounds. You can't so why try. The eyes are gonna take a hit once in a while. Its something you shouldn't freak out over.
Sean

When I want to pick it up a notch, its usually a mutual agreement between my partner and I. I dont just take it upon myself to pick up speed, thats how an injury is going to happen. When I read the initial post by the OP, I, as well as quite a few others here, took it as a shot with bad intention. The OP talked to his inst. and they worked things out. Was it a sincere appology? I don't know as I wasn't there.

Again, I see what you're saying. Is it good to train hard? Absolutely, but it still needs to be done with some care.

Mike

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I want to pick it up a notch, its usually a mutual agreement between my partner and I. I dont just take it upon myself to pick up speed, thats how an injury is going to happen. When I read the initial post by the OP, I, as well as quite a few others here, took it as a shot with bad intention. The OP talked to his inst. and they worked things out. Was it a sincere appology? I don't know as I wasn't there.

Again, I see what you're saying. Is it good to train hard? Absolutely, but it still needs to be done with some care.

Mike
I was raised a bit old school when I started. We don't do half the stuff to eachother now that we used to. We retain more students now LOL, but a lot has been lost in doing so. I agree with you about the "great care" thing.
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was raised a bit old school when I started. We don't do half the stuff to eachother now that we used to. We retain more students now LOL, but a lot has been lost in doing so. I agree with you about the "great care" thing.
Sean

I agree with you as well, especially when you said this:

We don't do half the stuff to eachother now that we used to

IMHO, many schools today are afraid of being sued, therefore, contact is kept to a minimum.

Mike

Hapkid0ist

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You know accidents happen, but if it is intentional, that is a serious issue. Personally, I would quit and advise him that he would be well advised to watch his step in the future and be thatnkfull that he does not have assault charges on him.
That is me.

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've had bumps and bruises, even black eyes from training at my school. Shake it off. Now that you've experianced what it feels like to have it done to you you know exactly how it will feel when you do it to someone else. Sounds like he taught you a very effective technique. If your 13 years old then I'd say it's abuse, if you're an adult and no damage was really done than I'd say it was lesson learned. I've had that done to me and it hurts. After pressure is applied to the eye ball they will be sore for a day or so but after that it should be fine.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After pressure is applied to the eye ball they will be sore for a day or so but after that it should be fine.

Too close for comfort and too little margin for error. It takes very little to detach a retina. No matter how good your control is, you have little control over that sort of thing. A light touch is more than enough to make it clear to someone just how effective an eye strike can be. Anything involving real force is probably much better be saved for a real threat, when an eye is involved...

Latest Discussions