Instructions for new KKW Competition Poomsae?

etnguyen03

White Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have the written instructions for the new Kukkiwon competition poomsae (Himchari, Bigak, etc.)? Want to try them myself but I think it'll be easier for me to learn from instructions rather than a really fast video.

tubby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been hopefully watching Ik Pil Kang's facebook feed hoping he's released a book on the new ones. nothing yet though.

OP
E

etnguyen03

White Belt
Reaction score
Emailed the Asian Taekwondo Union but I don't think they'll respond. Does anyone have the KKW's contact?

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I took a crack at writing up instructions for Himchari just based on what can be seen in the video. I'm sure there must be mistakes in this. If you find something that looks like a mistake, please let me know.

Himchari

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I took a crack at Saebyeol too. Saebyeol

I don't plan to do them all, but I wanted to do a couple so I could start figuring out how/if to diagram them.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Saebyeol

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The video for Eoullim has a lot of steps where you can't quite see what it is, so this is my best guess:

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As I go through and really study these videos for the competition poomsae, I'm really struck by this stance:

latest

You might say, "Oh Jim, that looks like somebody in the middle of a transition from one stance to another..." But no...it shows up in a LOT of these poomsae, apparently as a bona fide stance. It certainly seems intentional. I have no idea what this stance is.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As I go through and really study these videos for the competition poomsae, I'm really struck by this stance:

latest

You might say, "Oh Jim, that looks like somebody in the middle of a transition from one stance to another..." But no...it shows up in a LOT of these poomsae, apparently as a bona fide stance. It certainly seems intentional. I have no idea what this stance is.
It's ap juchumseogi. It appears on page 181 of the KKW TKD textbook 2006 ed.
5171641f86ae2e829395e85970f412fc.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picture 2 (bottom left) is very, very similar to Wado Ryu karate's 'reverse cat stance', Gyaku Nekoashi. The others look like cat stances ( front/back) before foot is lifted.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
These are the same videos I've been studying to try to diagram, by the way. It's not always 100% possible to tell what each movement is. Like, sometimes the back is turned without a circular inset, so you can't quite see what the hands are doing...so my diagrams are my best guess.

I figure diagramming these isn't a complete waste of time though, because once we get some sort of "official" descriptions of the form, updating the diagrams should be relatively easy.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
These are the same videos I've been studying to try to diagram, by the way.

That's what I thought since these videos are the only proper official source that's out there so far. Good job working on those diagrams at this early stage, btw!

Anyway, I need to go offline now and start training more in order to get closer to being able to perform those new forms. ;-)

Latest Discussions