Injured during sparring, techniques or forms?

I have been injured most often while:

• Sparring.

• Performing kata/forms/hyung.

• Practicing techniques & follow-ups.

• Other (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which have you been injured more from and why do you think that is? What is the reasoning behind your injury, e.g. improper stance, had your guard down, etcetera?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sparring my god broken leg and arm and not to mention those head shots that just keep you repeating yourself repeating yourself repeating youraself repeating yourslf see what I mean.
Terry

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Argh... I didn't know which to pick. One injury I received which wasn't serious was during a technique demonstration, some have been during sparring but most often I have been hurt playing games :D (yes I am a clutz ;) ) so I picked other.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Worst injury I've had so far has been jamming my toes. Usually the result of taking an elbow or shin wrong during limited sparring exercises. (Or forgetting there was an end table in the path of an attempted downward/axe kick)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ee gads! I don't want to whip out the laundry list of injuries I've had, but lets just say that I've trained for some athletic competitions in the past that were pretty rough. When I wrestled in high school, I actually forgot what it felt like to not be injured in some way.

Sparring is the most dangerous thing that one can do in the martial arts and safety often takes a back seat to things like winning, ego, inexperience, and silly accidents.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I picked other. I got most of my injuries from breaking. It was either being "stupid" (trying to kick a board that was way too high .... pulled hammy) or bad holders (broken hand and a injured foot). But I love breaking, so I guess I'm a gluttin for punishment hehehehe

I did have minor injuries from sparring. Just the usual jammed fingers/toes.

My worst injuries (knees and hip) came from work.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I could have picked "practicing techniques" as well. I re-injured my knee once by doing fancy kicking techniques. I landed wrong off of a roundhouse to jump spinning hook kick. I also landed wrong after someone threw me in jujitsu a few months ago. I had a sore shoulder for about three weeks.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sparring, with contact comes injury. Technique practice is predictable, when I know what is coming I can prepare to receive.

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I voted sparring. Mind you nothing big, mostly sprained fingers and toes and maybe bruised ribs everynow and again. Sometimes it was due to lack of concentration, or simply a clash of techniques that just hit the right spot even though you didn't want it to...:p

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hands down, the most from sparring. But I've had pleny of injuries from practicing techniques also.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sparring produced the most injuries, ranging from "turf toe," all the way to some nasty bruises that took a long time to heal.

My worst injury, though, was when I strained a hip flexor after stretching. I felt as if I had gone a wee bit too far while stretching, and stopped. I got up and started walking around the floor, and heard a "pop" sound, and felt the hip seize up. Not nice. Took me several months before I could kick above the waist again, and in all honesty, probably closer to a year and a half before I was pain-free.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have never been injured during training. Hurt yes, but not injured. Unfortunately I have caused mild injury to a training buddy once when practicing leg sweeps.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been bruised during sparring, but most of my injuries have been due to improper stepping - even the one that occurred during sparring (hyper-extended knee) was due to putting my foot down wrong, not to anything my opponent did. Mostly, my injuries have come during testings, when my adrenalin is high and I am more likely to step or land wrong - on jumps and stamping techniques especially.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sparring = 3 broken ribs, 5 broken toes (over the years), broken nose (twice), broken fingers ( numerious times).Cuts over the eyes (eyebrow blocks dont always work)
Forms_ 3 broken bones in my hand ( over emphising a move and punched the floor while looking at the judges((dumb))), blew out my knee doing a low stance once years ago

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
brused ribs..i tried to stuff a kick but misjudged distance and ended up eating it full force to the ribs

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had my shoulder screwed up and shattered my collerbone during training one night. A combination of 3 things really, 1) me over-rotating on a throw, 2) person throwing me trying to soften my landing, 3) technique being tried really too advanced for both of us.

Being out of work and unable to train for 4 months, I had time to go over some of the mental aspects of the MA's and in the long run it actually helped me during training and life in general when I was able to resume. So I guess it was a positive experence in the long run, plus it makes for a good story around the Dojo.

Scott G.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I voted other:

I have been injured the most often when told to just stand there and do not move.

Next by over zealous students trying to prove someting by going a million miles an hour at full strength when learning a technique.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out. Going as fast as can be on a new tech. is how I've seen others hurt as well, but that being said, my partner and I were going very slow (really too slow for a throw) and I went too far around and landed right on the point of my shoulder right at his feet. The best part of the whole thing was that my training partner that night was my younger brother and we have had fun over the following years with the whole thing. (After he got over feeling guilty that is, even I wouldn't rag on him when he was beating himself up mentally over a stupid accident.)

Scott G.

mad_boxer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I voted other because my only major injury has come from some incredibly stupid movements with a barbell im not even exactly sure what happened but its been 5 months and my left back/shoulder still hurts. just want it to get better so i can go back to boxing and start up some grappling.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of my injuries came from my poor technique in sparring, or from others not in control when performing a tech or in sparring.
Sean

Latest Discussions