In Search of .......

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya all.

I need help on finding a decent instructor in Upstate NY. I know there is a lot of NY martial artists on this messege board.

I moved from NJ, and from a good dojang. In my opinion, it was a decent place to train. Tough, traditional, but laid back in a way. The instructor was awsome. Strict, wasn't full of himself, no ego, and he acted like an average guy out of uniform. It's kinda hard to explain, but I knew that was the right place for me.

Then I moved up here. I looked at a few schools, but they were either expensive or too "sporty" for my taste or tried to get me to sign my life away as soon as I walked in the door.

I trained at one place with my boyfriend for a while. It was traditional in the sense of strictness and disipline. But it was too "sport" for me at the time. I been away from there (well, other than watching my boyfriend take class) for a year. They changed their curriculum. It's pretty decent now. I was thinking of returning, but now they are way out of my price range.

Another school I trained at, I thought was great at first. Good self defense curriculum, cheap, and easy going. But not traditional at all as far as disipline goes. The egos were HUGE there, and the standard of technique was very low (except for a few adults).

I was wondering if you upstate NY'ers could lead me to a decent school? I'm looking for a dojang/dojo that is traditional as far as training goes (disipline, respect, hard on you with technique, ect). A place that is at a decent price range (i'm on a budget ..... need to start college soon), no more than a year contract, and an instructor that isn't "full of him/herself." No egos either. I live in Canandaigua, but I am willing to travel 25 miles or so. But I'd rather stay out of the city (Rochester), though (I hate traffic LOL).

I looked around (phonebook, pounded the pavement, so to speak), but I heard that the best way to find a decent school is word of mouth, so here I am. Oh and I don't care about style, except for the fact that I'm a stand-up striker kinda person (other than Judo).

Thanks in advance :)

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
You'r not doing T.K.D.-M.D.K. anymore? i remember you saying it was a good school. At least i think it was you, but i could be wrong! There are some good school's there. But i don't know about the price's. i will see what i can find out. Mithios

Latest Discussions