In general, how well does TKD stand up to other arts such as:

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Back to the original question-

I too have doubted my art, but I have come to realize some things. Why do people trash TKD? The reasons I most commonly hear are that it is too restrictive and it can only fight at long range. Then I remembered how I am taught TKD. With the exception of grappling, I do learn what "the critics" say TKD lacks. It is not the style, but how you train.

-I live in Michigan. The weather, dress attire, situation will not allow us to kick all or most of the time. So we do as many punching drills as we do kicking drills. So take those punches and elbow strikes you learn and put them into use. For every kicking drill you do, do a hand drill.

-As for close range, practice a lot of knee and elbow strikes. Take your TKD front kick and do not extend the bottom half of your leg. Voila! It is a knee strike!

I do not know about other style of TKD, but in our color belt forms we use what we call "reaction force". If you are going to punch, extend one and and pull with it as you punch with the other. I have a student who trained in another style of MA and he used to hate reaction force. He wanted to do techniques how he would on the street. I then told him that there are many reasons why we teach "reaction force" to students, but he doesn't really need it for those reasons. For advance students, reaction force is grappling. When I extend or chamber one hand to attack with the other I am not chambering, I am grabbing this person and pulling them in the desired direction as I hit them. This is TKD grappling. Grab, control, strike. Close range. Pressure points work well in grappling situations also.

-Ground fighting is not TKD's strong point, but every art has it's weakness. Basically what I have been trying to say is that TKD CAN and DOES fight at all ranges. We just need to train that way and see how it all comes together.

-As for TKD having too many restrictions, do what a TKD friend and I did-
1. See each other after class.
2. Put on full sparring gear.
3. Spar how ever we wanted.
We sure has heck learned to keep our hands up and guard our groin. AND we were learning TKD. It is not that TKD lacks, it is that the training lacks.

It is the same way with weapons. We each had 2 wooden sticks. My friend would swing at me however he wanted. I have to neutralize the attack and counter attack as quickly as possible. My friend had to neutralize the counter attack and counter attack as quickly as possible. I had to neutralize his counter attack and counter attack as quickly as possible.

You get the idea. We often bruised up our hands, arms, legs, and head. But we did learn how a stick works when someone is trying to hit you and you need to hit back. We also are no longer afraid of being hit with blunt objects. We swing those at each other all the time.

It is not what you train in. It is how you train. TKD is a great art, SD or otherwise. You just need to learn how to train for SD or otherwise

I

ipscshooter

Corporal Hicks said:
Well Tae Kwon Do has its main limits because it is generally a purely kicking art.
I've been doing TKD for 5+ years, and, maybe it's just because of my experience at my school, but, I've never understood the "purely kicking art" comments. We train as much with our hands and elbows as we do with our kicks.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our school doesn't train in TKD just legs either. I've been in 8+ years and we have always done a pretty good upper body workout. Today, in fact, we had 90% upperbody, punching, and my arms etc. are weary from it. I think you have to BE IN TKD for a few YEARS and at least to BB to make judgements about it in regards that it is a "just kicking art" or TKD is this or that. Really?!! How many times do we have that argument who doesn't even know Taekwondo? TW

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as Tae Kwon Do not having enough hand techniques, a quick run through forms will tell you this is not the case. The Palgue forms, the ones we do, are actually mostly hand techniques. Several of the forms have no kicks at all. Most of the black belt forms stick to the basic kicks as well. Additionally, they are a very good upper body workout.

L

LIONHEART

just out of interest Andrew but you claim a few of the older ufc fighters did TKD but none of them did well in ufc's... out of interest have you ever heard of Bas Rutten if you read his biography you will see that he has a 1st degree in TKD and hat the jumping kick he used to use when he got into the ring (later nicknamed the "Rutten Jump") came directly from his TKD days and he was heavyweight UFC champion for a LONG time and MANY time, and Hwoarang in my opinion dont use the UFC to guage TKD's effectiveness to other styles ans the UFC rules specifically favour a grappler so that does not negate tkd's effectiveness it just puts them into a different competition with different rules it like putting a wrestler in an ITF TKD competition and seeing if he wins... he wont because its not his kinda competition, dont let sports dictate the effectiveness of TKD as a martial art.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Amen.
UFC does not necessarily make a great fighter. Those guys are athletes in a different arena.
In my opinion, traditional Tae Kwon Do as practiced before the Olympic emphasis was brutal and effective. Keep in mind, Korea had just come off 35 years of repression by the Japanese. Aside from the fact that to the north are China and North Korea. You think Tae Kwon Do was going to develop as some glorified sports activity? Traditional TKD developed with the mindset of preserving personal and national security. Nothing encourages self defense and national security more than getting your butt kicked and conquered in warfare. Originally, Tae Kwon Do was used by the Korean police and military to keep order and defend the country.
Why do you think the Israeli army is so effective? They are surrounded by enemies. They have to be.

T

Tkang_TKD

Chicago Green Dragon said:
As I was reading this thread I found some interesting comments and ideas. I was wondering how many people who have practiced or currently do practice TKD have used it in a real life situation and also how many in a tournament area ?
How did it fend one way or the other ?
I have practiced TKD for nearly 4 years now. I have had to use it in a real life situation only once.

When I was in Singapore (US Navy Deployment), one of my shipmates got drunk, and obnoxious and tried starting fights with a few other guys on the ship. I got in between him, and had him fairly well restrained, but he tried to break free and throw at me. I blocked his punch attempt (barely), and took him to the ground with an elbow shot right around the middle of his sternum. I then had to place my forearm across his throat to make sure he wasn't gonna get up.

I didn't really hurt him per se, I just stunned him and took him down.

Outside of that, I haven't had the necessity to use TKD in a real life situation. I'm not a violent person by nature, and I almost never find myself in situations such as above.

For the record, I have never fought in any tournaments, except an in-school tourney, under Olympic Style rules. :asian:

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
I didnt mean to say that TKD was all a kicking art I'm just saying that it generally associated with Kicking and kicking Techniques. In IMO I have found that my Wing Chung upper body training is much more effective than whatever my TKD has taught me because I can ultize it more, I'm not hacking down TKD upper body I'm just saying I find that its as effective as others. For example, I was in a tournament recently and I ended up facing a international player from somewhere, and with his team mates and coach there, it being only my fifth proper fight I knew that I would not win (well I didnt think that, I just thought I'll give it a damn good shot). We squared up and started sparring, sure enough after a bit he was really pounding me in. I was fed up now, so I thought, damn this I'm going to throw in some punches and not kicks and make it hurt. So we squared up again, and as he came in our legs partially locked, I used my Wing Chung punching methods of deflecting and positioning and I really got shots in. I slammed some into his stomach and into his mouth, then as he was staggering I flew a turning kick into his midriff, from then on he resorted to kicking at a distance and I just ended up blocking. He won the fight but I sure gave it hell at the end!
The point is, I was suprised this guy couldnt counter my upper body shots, his arms were failing as I pounded some in, maybe because I was firing from the elbow and not the shoulder at really close range. He also had a height advantage. It just shows you his techniques of a high class player were of no use to him in that situation and I doubt for a self defence situation. So my advice to you my friend is you should cross train. I think I have the best of both worlds.
I have the best (IMO) kicking arts (go TKD) and probably one of the best Upperbody arts (Wing Chung)

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Geesh... Arms flailing? Should've just covered up.
He should have done but the fact he was still trying to kick me whilst I was punching his midriff and face meant that he couldnt cope with the amount of stimulus thrown at him! Still I liked the fight!

Latest Discussions