I'm looking for a specific style...

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it depends on why they are asking. If they're asking because they have a specific limitation that will impede them (ie: they're blind/close to blind, have no depth perception, a prosthetic limb, etc.), then that makes plenty of sense for them to do the research rather than wasting time. If they have a list of potential schools, and want feedback while they're waiting to attend them anyway, also makes total sense.

The issue is when they see so many options, and just get stuck trying to decide. They'll see pros and cons of each, since that's how pretty much everything works, and ultimately if they do go they'll spend the time worried they chose the wrong one. Either paralysis or regret keeps them from training, when they would have been fine pre-internet or with only 1-2 options nearby.

There's a good, semi-tangential ted talk about the paradox of choice for anyone interested in a new perspective on this.
The paradox of choice

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Whenever I see that, I presume the person isn't going to train in anything, ever.

They rattle off their age, body type, physical limitations, and what they'd like to learn and ask fir recommendations.

What they're actually asking for is a reason to not train.

Tell me I'm wrong.
My experience is that they are trying to narrow down their options. I was like that with Jow Ga. I knew what I wanted but didn't know which system offered that. My biggest filter was weapons which limited me to Kung Fu. I had students that did similar things before deciding to go with Jow Ga Kung Fu.

I think the difficulty that most people have is that they factor in a lot of things that don't matter and that doesn't reduce the number of options. A good filter would be. Do I want to train in a system that has a belt rank. This eliminates either most kung fu systems or almost all Japanese and Korean systems. Another good filter is, "Do I want to learn a lot of weapons or just a few. "

Questions these will point a person in a direction that narrows down the options in a good way. Age, body, type, etc doesn't narrow down the options. I think I used 2 or 3 filters to discover Jow Ga
1. System has to have a lot of weapons
2. System has to be something I can use. Practical not Flashy
3. I wanted to learn from someone who actually used the techniques. My 1st teacher had a reputation for using Kung Fu in his youth.

Any school that had kung fu that didn't look like fighting was removed from my list.. Location wasn't a factor. I was either going to train near work or train near home.

People who look for a style but don't train are often those who don't know what they want.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My experience is that they are trying to narrow down their options.
I was lucky when I started - options were: judo or karate. Kung fu, kenpo, isshinryu, shotokan, goju, tae kwan do were all "karate," the distinctions being unknown to the public. The 60's were a simpler time.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was lucky when I started - options were: judo or karate. Kung fu, kenpo, isshinryu, shotokan, goju, tae kwan do were all "karate," the distinctions being unknown to the public. The 60's were a simpler time.
My dad chose for me. I guess it was a good choice since I’m still practicing.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Unless his/her answer to this question is a vigorous YES I think they should forget about it. QUESTION: Do you want to be challenged by and have much of your free time taken up by serious training/

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
For one, I think all legit arts have something to offer and are good.
People are all over the place when it comes to this stuff. Emotionally and physically. So much easier to just play pickleball. People are complicated and they need to be asked specific questions and they need to actually answer honestly. At our respective schools we see people come and go by the groves. The more overly enthusiastic the student is when signing up, the faster they bail. Much better advise searchers to ask tough questions than to emotionally sign up at the closest local school, waste the schools time and quit in two months. Put the ball squarely in their court.

Latest Discussions