I'm curious...

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is the point of hiding your reputation? I really am just curious. If you were to hide it, what would be the reason? Me, it doesn't matter if someone see's if I'm this meanie, or not just by looking at the blocks. The posts for the most part will state it. I also see that not many people here have theirs "blocked".

Also, how does invisible mode work, and what is it's specific purpose? I've been playing around with it the past couple of days. Are we really invisible?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Invisible hides you from other members. Staff can see you though.
Basically, you won't show up "online"

Hiding/blocking rep is done for a few reasons.
Some just dont like the system. Others have alot of negative. A few who hide it have quite a bit though. It varies.

:)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As Bob said some people just dont like the rep system an choose not to have i shown

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
What is the point of hiding your reputation? I really am just curious. If you were to hide it, what would be the reason? Me, it doesn't matter if someone see's if I'm this meanie, or not just by looking at the blocks. The posts for the most part will state it. I also see that not many people here have theirs "blocked".

For me it's not so much the blocks showing I'm mean or not. I'd just rather have a conversation with rather than getting a green or red block as a response to a post. They seemed to take the place of PM's without inducing the unbearable hassle of attaching a thought or an identity to a response.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
'Me, it doesn't matter if someone see's if I'm this meanie'

Hey! What's that supposed to mean? ;)

tkdgirl said:
Also, how does invisible mode work, and what is it's specific purpose? I've been playing around with it the past couple of days. Are we really invisible?

No. Only the ninja's get to be invisible.
icon10.gif

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've hidden my reputation twice - when some users blew the importance of the system out of proportion and I wanted to opt out of it for a time until the dust settled.

It is true that staff can see "invisible folks" - but we won't pass that information on to non-staff members.

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
green meanie said:

Oops! You weren't supposed to see that!!!! :p

Thanks everyone! Now I understand!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
green meanie said:

Wait a minute...you aren't just ANY meanie.

Your the GREEN MEANIE!

That makes a big difference you know. ;)

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How does a Green Meanie compare to a Blue Meanie? Are they considered genetically superior due to their extra finger?

thescottishdude

Orange Belt
Reaction score
the whole reputation thing is to try and make you post more, more posts get you a better rep. useless for most people but t works for some I guess.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thescottishdude said:
the whole reputation thing is to try and make you post more, more posts get you a better rep. useless for most people but t works for some I guess.

That's not quite correct. Reputation is strictly the overall opinion (of the general MT populus) of the quality/entertainment value of your posts. You'll notice there are members with your rank (yellow) in double red and others with 5 green pips and everywhere in between.

Rank is achieved through number of posts, rep is achieved through quality.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
thescottishdude said:

What shesulsa just said. ;)

Seriously...click on the Members List and run a sort on Reputation, from highest to lowest. Note that total post count does NOT necessarily equal high rep points.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
What shesulsa just said. ;)

Seriously...click on the Members List and run a sort on Reputation, from highest to lowest. Note that total post count does NOT necessarily equal high rep points.

Heck, just look at this thread.

My reputation score is similar to Sieg's, yet he has almost 8000 posts compared to my less than 800 posts. Now I better jet because Sieg can kick my butt 8 ways to Sunday!!!!! :rofl:

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:

My reputation score is similar to Sieg's, yet he has almost 8000 posts compared to my less than 800 posts. Now I better jet because Sieg can kick my butt 8 ways to Sunday!!!!! :rofl:

Heh...both you and Kacey earned your gold pips in record time - like, less than three months? I think that says a lot about the quality of your posts and hers as well. :)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:

umm....

Yours: " Posts: 666"

I Wonder WHY? :D

Latest Discussions