If you think you need to live out in the woods...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
to experience wild critters....you are sadly mistaken!

A few weeks back I found a possum in my compost bin.....
At first I did not think much of it, I have a cat who kills about anything she can get her paws on. The furry stuff looked just like a squirrel...maybe it had crawled in the bin (converted trash can, redneck, I know) and died...I lift my pale over the bin and as I turn it over and the coffee grounds begin to drop, the furry pile lifts his ugly head and bared those gross huge possum teeth at me...poor thing, all coverd in my refuse...I tipped the bin over on it's side, so the possum could saunder off. I had no camera on me (bad me, I know) and to tell the truth, possums creep me out. They are put together by comity...

Then I encounter two frogs in my collection of empty coffee cans.....pictures to follow (after I am done uploading 500 pictures from a concert I went to last night)
I am not even counting the baby bird that was in my kid's room, or the chipmunk I caught scurrying through there....I hope he got out...the cats were hot on his trail...and it was not the first one either....
So this morning I am staggering through the kitchen for a coffee refill....something brown lays in front of the stove. Ok, my two guys dropped something in there, did not bother to pick it up...I look closely at it...hmmm, looks like a snake...damn cats, always bringing their work home....then it MOVES....
I quickly grab camera :)nod:) and take a few pictures. Snake is not happy having the giant me hover over it...trying to escape.....nosireebob, you will not hide under my stove!

I grab a bucket (miracle in itself, when I need to mop floors I ahve to search for half an hour...) as well as dustpan and handbroom and scoop snake up....
Now, I am not that brave: The snake is tiny, less than a pencil in thickness, the head is hardly as big as my pinky nail! But it is about 8 inches long!

And I have no idea what kind it is....

oh, and I live in a nice ranch style house, in what seemed to be suburbia....

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/Granfire/BlackJacket6-9-2012535.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/Granfire/BlackJacket6-9-2012533.jpg

I linked them, some folks don't like snakes....

the frogs
018-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

Last edited:

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would have run the hell away from the possum. I don't like those.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would have run the hell away from the possum. I don't like those.

I made a controlled retreat.
That means I managed to avoid girlish squeals and change of underwear...by the Grace of G-d alone.
;)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I like urban camouflage frogs, they look like a gray tree frog of which there are a couple of varieties (hyla versicolor or hyla chryso something). Nice pics.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I happen to have my camera in a jacket I was wearing. This morning, while walking my trusty dog Bandit, we saw a turtle on a mission.

10xsdwi.jpg

She climbed the curb and walked about fifty yards to a nice spot. We followed at a respectful distance. She dug a hole.

zwhv1g.jpg

It was way cool.

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have a pond and woods behind my house.

Lots of frogs=lots of snakes

Put out some moth balls (or rock salt-carefull of plant life) around the house, it will keep the snakes from nearing the perimeter

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I happen to have my camera in a jacket I was wearing. This morning, while walking my trusty dog Bandit, we saw a turtle on a mission.

She climbed the curb and walked about fifty yards to a nice spot. We followed at a respectful distance. She dug a hole.

It was way cool.

My daughter and I often stop and pick up turtles off a road and release them in the nearest pond

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a pond and woods behind my house.

Lots of frogs=lots of snakes

Put out some moth balls (or rock salt-carefull of plant life) around the house, it will keep the snakes from nearing the perimeter

I think the frogs could it that monstrous snake though...

I will set him out tomorrow, maybe get some good pics then. ^_^

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
LOL!

Somebody suggested it was a DeKay's snake, grown at this point. :)

Yeah, I thought it was a small grass-garden snake, and perhaps full frown.

Than said, one snake around could also be others of various types

Latest Discussions